John Kerry in the FAA airmen database ( No TFRs yet for Kerrycampaign)

Old August 9th 04, 01:09 PM
David Megginson

Default John Kerry in the FAA airmen database ( No TFRs yet for Kerrycampaign)

Janice wrote:

There is no reason to believe that a Kerry administration would not have at
least as much closed airspace as the current administration. By the way, the
secret service has no jurisdiction to close local roads, they can merely suggest
the local municipality do so.

You are very likely right, but it's important to remember that it was the
Democratic party managing the convention, not Kerry himself. So far, Kerry
has been given exactly one chance to decide about TFRs himself, and he
decided 'no'. Perhaps the next time he'll say 'yes', but we can still be
hopeful -- after all, he seems to be an extremely hard-core G.A. pilot.
Here's his entry from the FAA database via landings.com:

Name : KERRY, JOHN FORBES
Airman's Address : 19 LOUISBURG SQ
BOSTON, MA, 02108-1202
FAA Region : New England
Date of Medical : Dec, 2003
Class of Medical : 2
Expiration : Dec, 2004
Airman Certificates : Commercial Pilot
Airplane Single Engine Land
Airplane Single Engine Sea
Airplane Multiengine Land
Instrument Airplane
Glider Aero Tow (Private Pilot)

So he has a CPA, with SEL, MEL, and SES, as well as glider tow (!!!), and
his medical is current. This is not the record of a casual weekend pilot.
Whether we like his politics or not, he's definitely one of us, and wouldn't
be out of place in this newsgroup.

All the best,

David
Old August 9th 04, 01:48 PM
Ron Natalie

"David Megginson" wrote in message news:2QJRc.419

So he has a CPA, with SEL, MEL, and SES, as well as glider tow (!!!),

No rating is necessary to tow a gldier other than what is necessary to fly the
tow plane. I suspect the last item is private pilot privs in gliders, restricted
to aerotow only (which is what most people have in the US unless they go
out of their way to get a winch or ground launch).

Old August 9th 04, 04:29 PM
Jim Weir

That is exactly correct. His commercial privileges are for the airplane ratings
but his glider ratings are restricted to private privileges. There are three
subratings on the glider certificate...aerotow, autotow, and winchtow. Each one
of them is a separate rating, so if some day I wanted to get another rating (in
lieu of a biennial), I could add private autotow, private winchtow, commercial
autotow, and commercial winchtow to my commercial glider aerotow. 8 years
without a bfr.

See how we play this game?

Jim

"Ron Natalie"

-
-"David Megginson" wrote in message
-
-

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old August 9th 04, 04:53 PM
David Megginson

Jim Weir wrote:
8 years without a bfr.

See how we play this game?

It sounds like an expensive way to avoid a BFR but also an awful lot of fun.
In Canada, we can just fill out a two-page, open-book quiz every two years
and keep it in our files in case anyone asks to see it. It's pretty
pointless, except as a way to ensure that people crack open the AIP at least
once every two years.

If you do any rating or flight test, that also counts for two years. Since
we have to redo the IFR flight test every two years anyway, that pretty-much
takes care of itself, and I don't even have to do the little quiz.

All the best,

David
Old August 9th 04, 07:36 PM
Jim Weir

I stand corrected. I haven't used the CFIG in so long I have trouble
remembering what was THEN, let alone what is NOW.

Jim

Todd Pattist

-After the part 61 rewrite, the three launch methods became
-instructor signoffs - like the tailwheel airplane signoff.

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old August 9th 04, 09:17 PM
Robert M. Gary

The tow is to fly a glider that is towed, not to tow a glider (that
would just be an endorsement and not filed with teh FAA).

-Robert

David Megginson wrote in message .rogers.com...
Janice wrote:

There is no reason to believe that a Kerry administration would not have at
least as much closed airspace as the current administration. By the way, the
secret service has no jurisdiction to close local roads, they can merely suggest
the local municipality do so.

You are very likely right, but it's important to remember that it was the
Democratic party managing the convention, not Kerry himself. So far, Kerry
has been given exactly one chance to decide about TFRs himself, and he
decided 'no'. Perhaps the next time he'll say 'yes', but we can still be
hopeful -- after all, he seems to be an extremely hard-core G.A. pilot.
Here's his entry from the FAA database via landings.com:

Name : KERRY, JOHN FORBES
Airman's Address : 19 LOUISBURG SQ
BOSTON, MA, 02108-1202
FAA Region : New England
Date of Medical : Dec, 2003

Old August 9th 04, 10:45 PM
Larry Dighera

On 9 Aug 2004 13:28:11 -0500, Todd Pattist
wrote in
::

After the part 61 rewrite, the three launch methods became
instructor signoffs - like the tailwheel airplane signoff.
They no longer appear on the certificate and you don't need
DPE or the FAA.

So if one received instructor signoffs for auto and aero tow long
before the Part 61 rewrite, he's grandfathered without limitations of
glider launch methods?

Old August 10th 04, 10:53 AM
Cub Driver

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 12:09:34 GMT, David Megginson
wrote:

and wouldn't
be out of place in this newsgroup.

David, that is a *very* low standard for a president!

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
Expedition sailboat charters www.expeditionsail.com
Old August 10th 04, 02:16 PM
David Megginson

Jay Honeck wrote:

Whether we like his politics or not, he's definitely one of us, and wouldn't
be out of place in this newsgroup.

Agree 100%.

One thing that occurred to me after my posting was that Senator Kerry took
the time to renew his medical in December 2003, while he was travelling
around the country in the middle of a heated primary battle. It cannot have
been easy to schedule a free afternoon, and it suggests to me that he was at
least planning on making time to fly during the rest of the campaign
(otherwise, why not let the medical lapse for a year?).

I sometimes have trouble finding time to fly just with my consulting work
and taking my kids to activities. Maybe it's his private way to relax and
unwind between campaign stops.

All the best,

David
Old August 10th 04, 02:27 PM
David Megginson

Cub Driver wrote:

and wouldn't
be out of place in this newsgroup.

David, that is a *very* low standard for a president!

Curses, Batman, you've discovered my secret Republican plot. TO THE ESCAPE POD!

All the best,

David