Why did Britain win the BoB?

Old October 6th 03, 03:48 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
.net...

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

However the RAF could still have sallied forth to defend
against an invasion and the Germans simply had neither the
resources to get the invasion force across the channel or
any way of stopping the RN from chopping their force to bits.

Wouldn't the Luftwaffe be a way of stopping the RN from chopping their

force
to bits?

Nope. At best the Luftwaffe could intervene in daylight if
they managed to win and maintain air superiority BUT the
invasion force was going to take more than 24 hours to
reach the invasion beaches and the cruisers and destroyers
sortieing from Harwich cwould be in amongst them at
night in the same way the Japanese steamed down the
slot at Guadalcanal. The Germans had no equivalent naval force
to counter those raids.

Keith

Old October 6th 03, 05:54 PM
John S. Shinal

(John Freck) wrote:

The setting is July 1st, 1940.
What must the Axis do better?

Adopt a strategy capable of winning and then stick with it.
Whether attacking Radar stations, Sector Stations, Aircraft plants or
POL, the Luftwaffe never continued any single strategy long enough for
it to be crippling to the UKs overall effort.

Quit blaming the weather. Adopt the flexible strategy of
operations vs. weather used later in the battle.

Frei Jagd. Destroy the fighters and eventually the bombers
won't have fighters to worry about.

'Relay' style fighter escort of bombers.

Move Luftflotte 5 to France.

Develop intelligence - poor intel let to poorer targeting.

what must the Allies do better?

Adopt the US's .50cal machine gun.

Disperse engine manufacture, it's concentrated in only a few
plants. In wargaming, this is one facet that continually worked for me
when acting as the Axis - aero engine manufacture grounded the RAF
when I significantly damaged the factories.

Reduce labor time (especially the exquisite hand fittting) of
aero engine components.

Allow more foreign nationals to fly as pilots, if possible.
A covert agreement with the USAF/USN/USMC like Chennault made ?

I like the other poster's suggestion of rescue floats in the
Channel, and better camoflage of aircraft - let me expand the camo to
include decoys and ack-ack traps over the decoys.

Old October 6th 03, 08:11 PM
Guy Alcala

"M. J. Powell" wrote:

snip

Improve the co-operation between 11 Group and 10 Group.

Presumably you mean between 11 and 12 Groups, but I agree. After I posted I
realized that the one thing I left off was to have Dowding more aware of the
situation developing between Park and Leigh-Mallory, and for him to step in
and resolve it.

Gag Bader.

Unnecessary, if Dowding had been on top of things. as simple a matter as
transferring 242 into 11 Group would have solved the problem, as Bader would
have been busy (and happy) fighting instead of sitting around fretting.

Guy

Old October 6th 03, 08:35 PM
Guy Alcala

Dav1936531 wrote:

snip

Churchill was exacly correct with his "Never has so much been owed by so many
to so few" statement.

To which the standard RAF fighter pilot joke was "He must be referring to our bar
bills." ;-)

Guy

Old October 6th 03, 08:55 PM
Paul J. Adam

In message , Steven
P. McNicoll writes
Wouldn't the Luftwaffe be a way of stopping the RN from chopping their force
to bits?

The Luftwaffe was fully committed to destroying British coastal
defences, since the landing force would have almost no artillery or
armour, and its naval gunfire support was limited to a couple of dozen
barges carrying 37mm guns.

It was _also_ fully committed to sinking the Royal Navy when it came out
to attack the fleet of barges and flat-bottomed boats; the Luftwaffe had
36 destroyers to sink _immediately_ (the anti-invasion flotilla held
ready with no other mission) plus the rest of the Home Fleet within 24
hours, if those ships were to be kept away from the transports. (We'll
ignore all of Coastal Forces' lighter craft)

Finally, the Luftwaffe was also completely committed to destroying the
RAF on the ground and in the air during the invasion.

So, all the Germans had to do was triple the size of the Luftwaffe and
build themselves a decent Navy and be phenomenally lucky....

It just don't add up.

--
When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite.
W S Churchill

Old October 6th 03, 09:30 PM
M. J. Powell

In message , Guy Alcala
writes
"M. J. Powell" wrote:

snip

Improve the co-operation between 11 Group and 10 Group.

Presumably you mean between 11 and 12 Groups, but I agree.

Yes, my mistake. (I was living under the protection of 10 Group at the
time!)

After I posted I
realized that the one thing I left off was to have Dowding more aware of the
situation developing between Park and Leigh-Mallory, and for him to step in
and resolve it.

Gag Bader.

Unnecessary, if Dowding had been on top of things. as simple a matter as
transferring 242 into 11 Group would have solved the problem, as Bader would
have been busy (and happy) fighting instead of sitting around fretting.

Good point, a bit more circulation would have helped.

Mike
--
M.J.Powell
Old October 7th 03, 01:56 AM
robert arndt

Britain won the BoB because Churchill bombed Berlin and spoofed Adolf
into diverting the the airfield assaults onto London. EOS.

Grantland

Let me add that it was a lone German bomber that ditched its bombs
over London that caused the British reprisal raid on Berlin and change
of tactics that: relieved Fighter Command, enabled the airfields and
manufacturing plants to be repaired, and assured the Brits that the
German battle for air supremacy would fail now that civilian targets
were being hit instead of military ones. EOS indeed!

Rob
Old October 7th 03, 04:20 AM
Leadfoot

"John Freck" wrote in message
om...
Why did Britain win the BoB?

Let us imagine that we are going to be playing a complex wargame
assigned to us some 3rd or 4th year military science course. There
are 20 classmates. Each will have to write a report from either
GErmany's or Britain's perspective, and the grade will determine your
standing on your team when the game is played.
The Battle of the Atlantic is open to play too. In addition, any
commentary on any matter could boost your grade. Such as commenting
on mass communications then and now, or anything that seems intersting
and anytime relevant to military studies.

The setting is July 1st, 1940. What must the Axis do better? And
what must the Allies do better?

To me it looks like Germany can improve a lot, and Britain only a
little bit. It is easy for the Axis team to create a shopping list of
things to do better, or more, or less, but what can be put on the
Allies list?

John Freck

How successful could the luftwaffe had been if they had simply concentrated
on attacking ports?

Old October 7th 03, 05:19 AM
tim gueguen

"John Freck" wrote in message
om...
Why did Britain win the BoB?

Geez, how many newsgroups did you try and troll Johnny?

tim gueguen 101867