2 pilot/small airplane CRM

Old August 22nd 04, 04:36 PM
Mitty

Default 2 pilot/small airplane CRM

Can anyone point me to web or print resources with discussion of how to
best utilize two pilots in small airplanes? Who does what, etc. I have
found lots of airline-level material but really nothing that relates to
flying light singles. Or maybe someone who regularly flies with a pilot
spouse? How do you split the workload?
Old August 22nd 04, 06:54 PM
Stan Prevost

"Mitty" wrote in message
Can anyone point me to web or print resources with discussion of how to
best utilize two pilots in small airplanes? Who does what, etc. I have
found lots of airline-level material but really nothing that relates to
flying light singles. Or maybe someone who regularly flies with a pilot
spouse? How do you split the workload?

I fly with a nonpilot spouse who shares my workload. She has a copy of the
checklists, and some items are her responsibility. In preflight, she checks
switches etc. on her side (all identified on the checklist), verifies vacuum
at runup, watches me to make sure I don't miss things, issues certain
reminders at various planned times. After takeoff, she calls altitudes at
which I have actions to take (typically 400AGL and 1000 AGL), watches my
heading and altitude for compliance with clearance, calls attention to
deviations, announces approaching clearance altitude. She tunes the radios
to in-flight assigned frequencies, reminds me to make the call if I got busy
and forgot. She monitors the various checklists to make sure I don't miss
things (which I never do, of course g). She times the fuel tanks and
tells me when to switch. She gets out approach plates when I call for them.
etc.

Works well for us. The only problem is that I feel lost when flying alone.

Stan

Old August 22nd 04, 08:25 PM
Matt Whiting

Mitty wrote:

Can anyone point me to web or print resources with discussion of how to
best utilize two pilots in small airplanes? Who does what, etc. I have
found lots of airline-level material but really nothing that relates to
flying light singles. Or maybe someone who regularly flies with a pilot
spouse? How do you split the workload?

Since I fly a fair bit of single pilot IFR, I want to retain proficiency
at that and not get dependent on another body in the cockpit. I use
another pilot or passenger to simply do things like hand me charts and
confirm altitudes and watch for traffic. I continue to perform ALL
flying, navigating and communication chores so that I stay proficient
for single-pilot flight.

Matt

Old August 23rd 04, 01:24 AM
Matt Whiting

Stan Prevost wrote:

"Mitty" wrote in message

Can anyone point me to web or print resources with discussion of how to
best utilize two pilots in small airplanes? Who does what, etc. I have
found lots of airline-level material but really nothing that relates to
flying light singles. Or maybe someone who regularly flies with a pilot
spouse? How do you split the workload?

I fly with a nonpilot spouse who shares my workload. She has a copy of the
checklists, and some items are her responsibility. In preflight, she checks
switches etc. on her side (all identified on the checklist), verifies vacuum
at runup, watches me to make sure I don't miss things, issues certain
reminders at various planned times. After takeoff, she calls altitudes at
which I have actions to take (typically 400AGL and 1000 AGL), watches my

What do you do at 400 AGL? I'm curious as I don't do anything until
1000 (fuel pump off, power set to climb, etc.).

Matt

Old August 23rd 04, 02:11 AM
Newps

Matt Whiting wrote:

What do you do at 400 AGL? I'm curious as I don't do anything until
1000 (fuel pump off, power set to climb, etc.).

You should be turning when you reach 400 feet.

Old August 23rd 04, 05:09 AM
Stan Prevost

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
What do you do at 400 AGL? I'm curious as I don't do anything until
1000 (fuel pump off, power set to climb, etc.).

I make any required initial turn to follow an IFR departure procedure or
follow an ATC departure clearance. I also transition to climb power at that
altitude. Waiting until 1000 AGL for climb power is also a good practice;
some say to not fool with the engine until you can turn back to the field.
I just like to slow the prop as soon as I can for noise reduction.

Stan

Old August 23rd 04, 11:51 AM
Blanche

If the copilot is not familiar with the aircraft (radios, etc) then
it's difficult to have them do the communications, setting freqs,
etc. I had that happen with an instructor. I own a cherokee and have
upgraded (not hard, since few of the avionics worked anyway) the
radios, added an intercom and PS 6000, etc. Most instructors around
here are familiar with the King environment and not the PS/Garmin/UPSAT
configurations. Hence the inability to change freqs on a timely
basis when flying with me.

CRM only works if both parties are familiar with procedures and
equipment and agree to use the procedures.

Old August 23rd 04, 01:16 PM
Doug Vetter

Mitty wrote:
Can anyone point me to web or print resources with discussion of how to
best utilize two pilots in small airplanes? Who does what, etc. I have
found lots of airline-level material but really nothing that relates to
flying light singles. Or maybe someone who regularly flies with a pilot
spouse? How do you split the workload?

Mitty,

I routinely fly IFR with a crew partner in our 172. I've long
considered writing up the procedures we've honed over the last several
years, but I never seem to find the time.

A year or so ago, however, I wrote up a travelogue of a flight that
demonstrated some of what we do. Though we've changed a few procedural
details since this was written, it may still be of help if you're simply
looking for ideas on how to write up your own procedures. Go to my site
and click through:

Aviation-Articles-Travelogues-Exercise in Crew Coordination

Safe flying,

-Doug

--
--------------------
Doug Vetter, CFIMEIA

http://www.dvcfi.com
--------------------
Old August 23rd 04, 01:56 PM
Dave Butler

Can anyone point me to web or print resources with discussion of how to
best utilize two pilots in small airplanes? Who does what, etc. I have
found lots of airline-level material but really nothing that relates to
flying light singles. Or maybe someone who regularly flies with a pilot
spouse? How do you split the workload?

Nobody seems to have mentioned being certain who is flying the plane. Have an
agreed on protocol for exchanging control.

P1: You take the controls.
P2: I have the controls.
P1: You have the controls.

I like Stan Prevost's list of things that can be delegated to a nonpilot
frequent passenger. That's a clip-and-save. Thanks, Stan.

Dave