Offering the Middle-digit Salute in Response to Brazil

Old January 20th 04, 02:27 PM
Larry Dighera

Default Offering the Middle-digit Salute in Response to Brazil

Proof, that what goes around, comes around:

AVflash Volume 10, Number 04a -- January 19, 2004

....AND BIRD-FLIPPING PILOT RILES BRAZILIANS
Capt. Dale Robin Hersh discovered the Brazilian authorities' preferred
level of etiquette after last Wednesday allegedly offering the
middle-digit salute in response to Brazil's new requirement that
American visitors submit to photographs and fingerprinting ... which
is how Brazilians are welcomed to the U.S. under new security rules.
Hersh's alleged gesture (maybe that's how he always holds things)
landed him in a federal courthouse where formal charges awaited, but
"Since this was a minor crime, I proposed that he be fined $12,750,
which will be donated to a home for the elderly," Matheus Baraldi
Magnani told the Associated Press.
http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#186508

Old January 20th 04, 02:37 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

Proof, that what goes around, comes around:

What is it that you believe is coming around?

Old January 20th 04, 02:42 PM
Chuck

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

Proof, that what goes around, comes around:

AVflash Volume 10, Number 04a -- January 19, 2004

...AND BIRD-FLIPPING PILOT RILES BRAZILIANS
Capt. Dale Robin Hersh discovered the Brazilian authorities' preferred
level of etiquette after last Wednesday allegedly offering the
middle-digit salute in response to Brazil's new requirement that
American visitors submit to photographs and fingerprinting ... which
is how Brazilians are welcomed to the U.S. under new security rules.
Hersh's alleged gesture (maybe that's how he always holds things)
landed him in a federal courthouse where formal charges awaited, but
"Since this was a minor crime, I proposed that he be fined $12,750,
which will be donated to a home for the elderly," Matheus Baraldi
Magnani told the Associated Press.
http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#186508

Larry,

YOU are the one crying and whining about off topic post, yet, 90% of YOUR
post have been off topic.

Maybe YOU need to read and understand the charter...

Old January 20th 04, 03:54 PM
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 14:37:51 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote in Message-Id:
. net:

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
.. .

Proof, that what goes around, comes around:

What is it that you believe is coming around?

The article contained this bit of information:

"Brazil's new requirement that American visitors submit to
photographs and fingerprinting ... which is how Brazilians are
welcomed to the U.S. under new security rules."

I would say that the U.S. instituted practice of fingerprinting and
photographing airline passengers entering our country may spark
similar indignities for U.S. passengers entering foreign countries.

Additionally, the unprofessional conduct of Capt. Dale Robin Hersh
earned him the fine he deserved IMO.

Old January 20th 04, 04:30 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

The article contained this bit of information:

"Brazil's new requirement that American visitors submit to
photographs and fingerprinting ... which is how Brazilians are
welcomed to the U.S. under new security rules."

I would say that the U.S. instituted practice of fingerprinting and
photographing airline passengers entering our country may spark
similar indignities for U.S. passengers entering foreign countries.

But why just for US passengers? The US didn't single out Brazil or any
other individual country, the requirement applies to all passengers not
otherwise documented.

Old January 20th 04, 05:07 PM
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:30:57 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote in Message-Id:
.net:

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
.. .

The article contained this bit of information:

"Brazil's new requirement that American visitors submit to
photographs and fingerprinting ... which is how Brazilians are
welcomed to the U.S. under new security rules."

I would say that the U.S. instituted practice of fingerprinting and
photographing airline passengers entering our country may spark
similar indignities for U.S. passengers entering foreign countries.

But why just for US passengers? The US didn't single out Brazil or any
other individual country, the requirement applies to all passengers not
otherwise documented.

What does your phrase "not otherwise documented" mean? Other than
what? Aren't all international travelers required to possess a
Passport?

Are you saying that ALL airline passengers entering the US are
currently being fingerprinted and photographed? If so, this is the
first I've heard of that practice being instituted.

Your reply implies that you believe that Brazil has "singled out" US
passengers for fingerprinting and photographing. Are you able to
provide a credible citation substantiating that contention? The
quoted article's lack of explicitly stating that Brazil is requiring
fingerprinting and photographing _solely_ of US passengers is
ambiguous IMO.

Old January 20th 04, 05:45 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

What does your phrase "not otherwise documented" mean? Other than
what? Aren't all international travelers required to possess a
Passport?

No, not all international travelers entering the US are required to possess
a passport.

Are you saying that ALL airline passengers entering the US are
currently being fingerprinted and photographed? If so, this is the
first I've heard of that practice being instituted.

No, I'm not saying that ALL airline passengers entering the US are currently
being fingerprinted and photographed. Many nations are exempt, but Brazil
isn't one of them. There are several requirements to be exempt. The nation
must issue passports that can be scanned by machine, they must also
''demonstrate that adequate safeguards against fraudulent use of their
passports are in place.'' Forged documents are apparently easy to come by
in Brazil.

Your reply implies that you believe that Brazil has "singled out" US
passengers for fingerprinting and photographing. Are you able to
provide a credible citation substantiating that contention?

"Brazil began on Jan. 1 to fingerprint and photograph all American citizens
arriving here in response to Washington's new policy, which went into effect
on Jan. 5. A judge in a remote state said the action was necessary because
U.S. policy was ''xenophobic and worthy of the worst horrors of the Nazis,''
and the Foreign Ministry endorsed his order, arguing that ''reciprocity is a
basic element of foreign relations.''

http://www.iht.com/articles/124703.html

Old January 20th 04, 06:06 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message

reciprocal.

I think that would be valid if Brazil took the same steps for the same
reasons, but it appears they're taking them just because they're ****ed off.

Old January 20th 04, 06:08 PM
Ron Natalie

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message link.net...

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message

reciprocal.

I think that would be valid if Brazil took the same steps for the same
reasons, but it appears they're taking them just because they're ****ed off.

That's diplomacy for you. We do the same thing on other issues (tariffs etc...).

Old January 20th 04, 06:49 PM
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 17:45:35 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote in Message-Id:
. net:

Forged documents are apparently easy to come by
in Brazil.

The NYT article to which you kindly provided the URL below states:

"American officials said that Brazil is second only to Mexico in
what are known as "expedited removals" because of false
documentation or misrepresentation at U.S. ports of entry"

False documentation seems a good criterion to apply to requiring
fingerprinting and photographing of international visitors.

It would seem that Brazil's emotional response to the change in US
policy may negatively impact Brazil's Carnival revenues. Talk about,
"out of the frying pan ...."

Brazil may want to rethink their strategy, and consider instituting
anti passport forgery measures and scannable passports. A progressive
country would proffer reasonable solutions not direct confrontation,
IMO.

It is an unfortunate coincidence that our neighbors and allies in the
western hemisphere are going to be most affected by the new US policy
just when we need their support in international affairs. It would be
a magnanimously conciliatory gesture for the US to provide some
expertise to our neighbors in overcoming the technical issues, and it
might help mitigate the international perception of xenophobia. But
that would take a President who valued the support of his allies...

--

"The vast majority of our imports come from outside the country."
- George W. Bush

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."
- George W Bush

"I stand by all the misstatements that I've made."
- Governor George W. Bush

"We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a part of NATO. We have
a firm commitment to Europe. We are a part of Europe."
- Governor George W. Bush

"We are ready for any unforeseen event that may or may not occur."
- Governor George W. Bush

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the
impurities in our air and water that are doing it."
- Governor George W. Bush

"It's time for the human race to enter the solar system."
- Governor George W. Bush

"I'm the commander -- see, I don't need to explain -- I do not
need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing
about being the president. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me
why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an
explanation. "
~ George Bush Jr. as reported in the Washington Post