Newbie holding questions

Old January 6th 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Newbie holding questions

Okay Steve, I didn't realize until just now that you are only talking
about enroute holds. I was applying your comments to all types of holds.
Will you agree that a hold at an initial approach fix will always
include and EFC time?

Old January 6th 06, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

Make them say how much delay or give an EFC/EAC time
or you'll be holding until the fuel runs out. Maybe the
book does not require ATC to issue a time, but my sense of
self-preservation wants to know.

How much delay? The answer is "None." The book says do not specify an EFC
if no delay is expected. If your sense of self-preservation can't live with
that don't fly IFR.

Why don't you recommend that for inclusion in the AIM under "cooperation
and communications between pilots and ATC."
Old January 6th 06, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

Nonsense. What's the point of having an EFC when you won't be entering a
hold? What's the point of demanding an EFC where an EFC can't be issued?

Under those circumstances some helpful controllers have been known to
state after the hold is issued, "except no delay at ACMEE."
Old January 6th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 03:45:01 GMT, Jim Carter wrote:

Okay Steve, I didn't realize until just now that you are only talking
about enroute holds. I was applying your comments to all types of holds.
Will you agree that a hold at an initial approach fix will always
include and EFC time?

I am like you Jim, seems that Steve is not very clear in what he says.

Though to be honest, I always thought a hold, is a hold is a hold, if I am
told to hold at ABC VOR enroute, I will be expecting an EFC to leave ABC
VOR to proceed on to to my destination, paper stop or not as he describes.

Are there special procedures for an enroute holds? Am I not expected to
fly a racetrack pattern around the fix I am instructed to hold at?

Like others said, it would be more appropriate to put a speed restriction
rather then hold, but Steve insists that I won't be flying in circles when
I am asked to hold.

When I got my one and only reroute, I was routed to a VOR, and I didn't
even think of asking for a EFC since I figured there was no delay as I was
being re-routed around a MOA.

With the vague way Steve writes in this newsgroup, kinda makes me nervous
if I had to ever fly through his sector if he is an ATC controller.

Allen
Old January 6th 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

Without an EFC I wouldn't enter the hold. It's a moot point anyway,
whatever caused my comm radios to go belly up will affect my nav radios the
same way and I won't be able to identify the holding fix.

Why would a transistor failure or other comm circuit failure affect your
nav?

Matt
Old January 6th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

Why would a transistor failure or other comm circuit failure affect your
nav?

It wouldn't. Nor would it affect my other comm.

Old January 6th 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

Why would a transistor failure or other comm circuit failure affect your
nav?

It wouldn't. Nor would it affect my other comm.

Then why did you write: "It's a moot point anyway, whatever caused my

Old January 7th 06, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Steve's a big boy and doesn't need me or anyone else defending him. I
find that when I finally read what he meant it is very plain. I think my
problem is that I don't understand his original premise as precisely as
does he. I'm sure he is very precise and accurate in-the-moment, which
is really the only time he'd be giving direction anyway. So all is well
in the great wild blue yonder...

Regarding the enroute hold, I've only had to do them during training or
check rides, or at Portland, Or in the '70s while they were down to only
one runway. They were the GA and AC airport so you either flew your
approaches at the 727 speeds or you got to hold enroute until you agreed
to fly your approaches at 727 speeds. It was a wonderful environment in
which to train students right at the end of their study for their
instrument or II ticket. Ah, the good ol' days...

Old January 7th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

Then why did you write: "It's a moot point anyway, whatever caused my comm
radios to go belly up will affect my nav radios the same way and I won't
be able to identify the holding fix."

I have two comm radios, they share no components, have separate antennas. I
use a headset but also have a hand microphone and cabin speaker. I have
auxiliary headset jacks that allow me to bypass the audio panel. What
single point of failure would disable both of my comm radios but not affect
my nav radios?

Old January 7th 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

What
single point of failure would disable both of my comm radios but not affect
my nav radios?

I don't know. But unless you are the only person in the air, procedures
must be designed to take into account the failure modes of other
aircraft, which could easily include loss of com without loss of nav.
And if you =are= the only person in the air, ATC is not necessary.

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.