Pawnee Tow Release

Old August 13th 19, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

Default Pawnee Tow Release

On Monday, August 12, 2019 at 11:57:16 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, August 5, 2019 at 7:44:32 PM UTC-4, Charles Longley wrote:
In the 3 Pawnee’s I fly 2 use the floor mounted dump lever which I like. The other one uses a shorter lever mounted in front of the throttle which I like even more!

Our Pawnee floor lever lies almost on the floor. There is a tab with a hole which looks like it should have a tension spring to keep the handle more upright. Anyone know if there is supposed to be a tension spring here? Where would the other end attach? Part number?
Thanks in advance,

Bob 7U

I do not recount seeing one with a spring. There should be enough tension on the release cable to keep the handle in the closed or locked position.
Old August 13th 19, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Install a Tost reel system and you can use a simpler “release” setup due to the use of a guillotine. Very little force needed to cut the tow rope so the release lever can be smaller and mounted right in front of the throttle. Both our Pawnees have been equipped for several years and I would not like to go back to the Elmira Death Hook!

Plus you get a built in Tost release for when you just have to drag a 200 ft rope behind you...

Kirk
66
Old August 13th 19, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Monday, August 5, 2019 at 1:16:45 AM UTC-4, Bob Youngblood wrote:
I am currently rebuilding another Pawnee and converting from a spray plane to a tow plane. Extensive work has been completed on this bird, and I am about ready to install the tow hook. This is the third Pawnee that I have converted and I have used the hopper dump handle as the tow release handle which provides a huge amount of leverage and also a easy to get to location. I most cases the tow handle release is located on the floor, which causes the pilot to reach down to get to the handle. In this case the hopper release handle is just to the left side of the pilot and requires no bending down and allows the pilot to keep their eye on flying the plane. It requires just a bit of modification to make this conversion and in my case the inspector was impressed with the application.
If any of you are considering converting a Pawnee you should consider this modification.

Kirk, that is in fact a very nice system. Take yours off the Pawnee and send it to me. Times are tough and I am running low on cash, thinking about calling JJ Wentworth for a small advance. Bob
Old August 14th 19, 01:37 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Youngblood View Post
[...]

Bob, the system on your Yellow Gorilla should be the standard throughout the towing world. Everyone agrees the handle down, parallel to the floor is difficult to access in an emergency and unsafe. The Schweizer tow hook standardly installed is equally unsafe. While there is no way to make towing completely safe for the tow pilot, at too low an altitude a kiting glider is a death sentence and there is no justifiable reason for any facility to continue with a release system proven to fail when it needs to work the most. Just my humble opinion.

Walt Connelly
Former Tow Pilot
Now happily flying helicopters.
Old August 14th 19, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

--
Walt Connelly

Walt, thanks for the kind words. I first made that arrangement on Dusty, my first Pawnee, and then on to the Yellow Gorilla. After many tows and other tow pilots examining the system they all have been in agreement with your observation. I am now completing a new Pawnee which is named Towpecker, it too will have the same release mechanism that even has better performance. Bob

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Piper PA-25 Pawnee pics [04/11] - Pawnee pulls a glider.jpg (1/1) Miloch Aviation Photos 0 November 10th 18 03:53 PM
Piper PA-25 Pawnee pics [01/11] - A Swift glider is performing continuous full rolls while being towed by a Pawnee.jpg (1/1) Miloch Aviation Photos 0 November 10th 18 03:53 PM
Pawnee Tost Release Mike125 Soaring 1 April 16th 08 03:59 PM
Tow Release Handles for Pawnee and C182 [email protected] Soaring 2 March 12th 07 02:40 AM
WTB towhook release for Piper Pawnee [email protected] Soaring 2 November 22nd 06 03:29 PM