Why don't voice radio communications use FM?

Old September 10th 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Stadt

Default Why don't voice radio communications use FM?

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Thomas Borchert writes:

Coudln't agree less. If, after that "short period in the air", I arrive
6000 miles from where I usually live, the exitment is all worth it.

That isn't going to happen in any aircraft you're likely to be able to
afford, nor even in any aircraft available if we are talking about
60-90 minutes of time in the air.

But I take it you're not much into real life.

I'm into simulation, which is very faithful to real life in some
respects and completely different from it in others.

No, you are into MSFS which is a toy.

What's simulation got to do with flying?

They both involve many of the same skills, perceptions, and
impressions.

Old September 11th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Thomas Borchert wrote:
Just for your information, since you mentioned the cost of flying in
another post as well: The certificate will cost you something like 4000
or 5000 dollars spread over 6 months or a year.

That cost sounds a bit low, or maybe I live in the wrong part of the
country. The flying schools say the average student should expect their
training to cost anywhere from $6500 to $9500. Here are their links:

http://www.takewinginc.com/pilot_tra...lot_train.html
http://www.abouttimeaviation.com/rates.html

And wouldn't stretching the training out that much actually work against
getting your certificate at the lowest cost?
Old September 11th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Jim Logajan wrote:
Thomas Borchert wrote:
Just for your information, since you mentioned the cost of flying in
another post as well: The certificate will cost you something like 4000
or 5000 dollars spread over 6 months or a year.

That cost sounds a bit low, or maybe I live in the wrong part of the
country. The flying schools say the average student should expect their
training to cost anywhere from $6500 to $9500. Here are their links:

http://www.takewinginc.com/pilot_tra...lot_train.html
http://www.abouttimeaviation.com/rates.html

And wouldn't stretching the training out that much actually work against
getting your certificate at the lowest cost?

Nah, it took me 9 months to get my private and I paid around $5500.
Old September 11th 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger (K8RI)

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 21:45:47 GMT, B A R R Y
wrote:

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 17:36:12 -0400, "Roger (K8RI)"
wrote:

When I had ISDN and then DSL my Internet bill would have paid for a
lot more flying than that and in a high performance retract to boot!

My first dedicated line (non-dial) work at home setup was a 2B+D ISDN
setup, then an $800/month 4 wire HDSL dedicated T1. The T1 was
cheaper in actual use!

Now it's a $19.95/month ADSL connection.

The first home router was a $2500+ Cisco bought with a purchase order
and a Dilbert-ese ordering process. The LAN port was 10 meg, and I
needed an additional $500 hub to connect more computers.

Five port 100 baseT hub is now about twenty bucks.

I bought my
current ADSL router, complete with (4) onboard 100/meg ports for $69

Mine was a tad more than that (but not by much). I'm running a
gigabit network through a five port switch.

at my local Staples.

Ahhh yes... :-))

My first computer (OSI C2-8P) with dual 8" floppies is still down in
the basement. Thing cost $4,000 in 1979. I think I could build a state
of the art 64 bit dual core processor, PCI express video, dual 700 Gig
SATA HDs and at least a 20" LCD monitor for half that or less. With
the equivalent of that C2-8P in today's dollars I could build up four
bleeding edge technology machines with multiple monitors and have
money left over.

Ain't technology grand? G

Where's my G1000...

Mine's at the dealers where it'll probably stay as I can't justify the
current value of the airplane in new avionics. sigh

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old September 11th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_4_]

Emily wrote:
Are you really wasting energy trying to explain this to him?

Yeah, it would seem that I must enjoy ****ing into the wind... Maybe I
have more patience over here on r.a.p... Hell, over on rec.scuba, I
would have probably told him to **** off by now...

Old September 11th 06, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_4_]

Mxsmanic wrote:
Believe what you want, but MSFS is a simulator.

It has it's place, but it's not the real thing... I would have to admit
though, learning how to fly a real plane made me a lot better on
MSFS... Perhaps MSFS could get you a bit familiar with instrument
procedures and as such save a bit of actual aircraft time, but you
still need actual flight time with an instructor to be able to be
competent in actual instrument flight...

Old September 11th 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Grumman-581 wrote:
Emily wrote:
Are you really wasting energy trying to explain this to him?

Yeah, it would seem that I must enjoy ****ing into the wind... Maybe I
have more patience over here on r.a.p... Hell, over on rec.scuba, I
would have probably told him to **** off by now...

See, I have patience with people who don't know any better, but zero for
people who refuse to learn.
Old September 11th 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_4_]

Emily wrote:
Have you ever been in a full size, full motion, transport catergory
aircraft simulator?

And have you ever had a chance to fly the Space Shuttle simulator and
try to do a loop while coming back out of orbit? Guess what? The
wings rip off... sheepish-grin

Old September 11th 06, 06:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Emily writes:

We aren't talking about motion sickness, we're talking about spatial
disorientation.

You may be; others are not.

The fact is, you really have zero clue what it's really like to fly IFR.

I disagree.

A simulator (which MSFS is not) doesn't come close.

It comes very close indeed. IFR by definition is instruments only,
and without motion in a simulator, instruments is about all you have,
other than some visual cues of varying quality.

I'm asking you again....why don't
you go to an airplane, get an instructor to let you fly under the hood,
and REALLY experience what it's like?

I'm telling you again: it requires too much time and money. Besides,
I'd prefer a full-motion simulation, which is safer.

Old September 11th 06, 06:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Roger (K8RI) writes:

Every one should experience the FAA's "vertigo chair". You can do the
same thing in an office chair, but you need a couple of good size
helpers to catch you for safety.

Is this a requirement for becoming a pilot?

Unfortunately it raises the cost considerably, but if you go the route
of multiple monitors with 3 wide screens being best to simulate IRL
VFR your visual senses are properly stimulated. You will find, among
other things due to the added visual realism, you will lean in the
turns and you will feel a sense of light headedness with a push over
after a climb.

It sounds nice; I don't know if MSFS supports it. In any case, I
can't afford three monitors right now.

Doom is just fast paced.

But the nature of the motion is sick-making, too. Doom and some other
FPS games are famous for it.

The Witch Project is similar to flicker vertigo. Fast switching
between scenes and erratic camera motion produce just too much changing
information for the brain to process in a logical manner, or even keep up.

Much was shot handheld by the actors themselves, and apparently they
were given no instruction on how to hold a camera steady.

To some it do and some it don't. It does for me as I do not ride well.
I can do basic aerobatics with little problem although its been quite
a while. OTOH riding with some one practicing their basic PPL
maneuvers such as steep turns, S-turns, turns around a point, and
stalls can get me a bit queasy in a hurry

How common is this queasiness among the pilots actually flying these
maneuvers?

I believe that to be true to at least some extent for some of us. I've
been on a commercial flight where it was so rough there were only
about 10 of us who didn't get sick. The guy beside me was reading a
news paper until it got so rough he couldn't keep his place. It didn't
seem to bother him a bit. Man, but I was glad he was the one sitting
next to me and not someone with their head in a bag.

I don't know how he managed it. Trying to read or something similar
when the aircraft is bouncing about is an excellent way to get motion
sickness.

Sims are very good for the technical part, but much
of the reality of real world flight is missing from the best of them.

Perhaps home sims will be full-motion one day, but I doubt it. The
cost of full motion isn't going down, unlike the cost of computer
power.

I Hate Radios Ron Wanttaja Home Built 9 June 6th 05 05:39 PM
AirCraft Radio Communications [email protected] Rotorcraft 0 November 13th 03 12:48 AM