On the subject of callsigns - what was the most preposterous you have seen?

Old August 19th 03, 06:29 PM
Giz

Default On the subject of callsigns - what was the most preposterous you have seen?

"José Herculano" wrote in message
This "Man Luv" Monlux is surely one I'd hate to have.
Now "Lingus" Cuni, has a ring to it.

Please do share the most preposterous you have come across.
_____________
José Herculano

I have flown with a D'jock "Strap" and a "Fudge" Packard.

Giz

Old August 19th 03, 10:22 PM
Bob McKellar

Giz wrote:

"José Herculano" wrote in message
This "Man Luv" Monlux is surely one I'd hate to have.
Now "Lingus" Cuni, has a ring to it.

Please do share the most preposterous you have come across.
_____________
José Herculano

I have flown with a D'jock "Strap" and a "Fudge" Packard.

Giz

At an air show at MCAS Beaufort I saw "Rat Breath" and "Puke"
lettered under the canopies of one particular jet.

Bob McKellar

Old August 20th 03, 04:34 AM
Mike Kanze

George "Panty" Shields. (Not sure of the first name here.)
Roy "H. Rap Seagull" Seth.
--
Mike "Owl" Kanze

436 Greenbrier Road
Half Moon Bay, California 94019-2259
USA

650-726-7890

"I've had a lot of calls asking if my dog Ernest was running for Governor.
I explained to each caller that Ernest died several years ago, to which the
usual response has been, 'So what?' Come to think of it, would a dead dog
running for Governor make California look any more weird than it already
does?"

- Al Shugart, Chairman - Friends of Ernest (San José Mercury-News, 8-16-03)

"José Herculano" wrote in message
[rest snipped]

Old August 20th 03, 02:26 PM
Pechs1

Jose- Please do share the most preposterous you have come across. BRBR

Say my name quicky, 'Pete Chisholm', like I did on the first day in the F-4
RAG...instructor looked at me kinda wierd after he asked and I said my
name-'Peaches??", no I said Pete Chisholm...and I couldn't get rid of that damn
thing for the next 18 years.

Jeeeezussss I hated that thing.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old August 20th 03, 02:29 PM
Pechs1

Had 'Boots' Brathun, first F-4 cat shot in VF-151, over-rotated like you read
about-saw his 'boots'...

We went into his stateroom, packed his bags, put the COD sked on the board,
had a going away party for him..said he was fired, thought the guy was gonna
cry..he never over rotated again
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old August 20th 03, 02:56 PM

Another not so preposterous but my son's callsign is, "Piddle,"
...very small bladder!!

GW

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 08:04:36 -0500, Charlie Wolf
wrote:

This isn't really "preposterous" but -

We had a JO in our squadron whose nickname was "Splash" Coughlin. He
got the nick shortly after he walked off the edge of the flight deck
one night while pre-flighting the tail section of an S-3 - which was
hanging over the deck edge.
Regards,

Old August 20th 03, 03:43 PM
Ed Rasimus

"Mike Kanze" wrote:

George "Panty" Shields. (Not sure of the first name here.)
Roy "H. Rap Seagull" Seth.

I feel pretty sure, but I'll ask anyway--that wouldn't be the George
Shields who got a MiG-21 on 9/12/72 in an F-4E from the 34th TFS at
Korat in the pit of Mike Mahaffey?

We called him "George of the Jungle".

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (ret)
***"When Thunder Rolled:
*** An F-105 Pilot Over N. Vietnam"
*** from Smithsonian Books
ISBN: 1588341038
Old August 20th 03, 07:48 PM
Mike Kanze

Ed,

No. This "George" was a USN type, from a later era.

Again, I'm not certain of the first name. And it wouldn't surprise me at
all if just about anyone in Naval Air with the last name of "Shields" wound
up carrying the "Panty" moniker sometime during their flying career.

Owl sends.
--
Mike Kanze

Old August 21st 03, 02:19 AM
vincent p. norris

Jim "Spurt" Seaman

For some reason, that reminds me we had a major, a great guy named
Terry Noble, who was known as "Tripod."

When his (beautiful) wife came to pick him up at the squadron, the car
was always full of kids.

Don't know if there's any cause-and-effect there.

vince norris
Old August 22nd 03, 02:14 AM
Mike Kanze

My favorite callsigns were those of animals that truly reflected the
personality or appearance of the individual: "Turtle." "Snail," "Rabbit."

.. . . or "Dawg", one of my 1973 cruisemates aboard the CORAL MARU. A
homelier-looking fellow I've never seen.

Owl sends.
--
Mike Kanze (whose looks and personality are not owlish)

436 Greenbrier Road
Half Moon Bay, California 94019-2259
USA

650-726-7890

"I've had a lot of calls asking if my dog Ernest was running for Governor.
I explained to each caller that Ernest died several years ago, to which the
usual response has been, 'So what?' Come to think of it, would a dead dog
running for Governor make California look any more weird than it already
does?"

- Al Shugart, Chairman - Friends of Ernest (San José Mercury-News, 8-16-03)

"John Carrier" wrote in message
[rest snipped]