On the subject of callsigns - what was the most preposterous you have seen?

Old August 24th 03, 08:46 PM
John Carrier

I thought it was bug-eating monkeys.

R / John

"Pechs1" wrote in message
Callsign for VF-33, before they changed it to 'starfighter' was

'cupcake'..
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye

Phlyer

Old August 24th 03, 10:24 PM
J. McEachen

In 1962 Forrestal was Handbook, VAH-5 was Somerset. Around the boat and
NAS Sanford we were Somerset 6xx, on missions away from the boat on
cruise we were Handbook 6xx. Of course with Air Traffic Control anywhere
we were Navy Jet 42856 (last 5 digits of BuNo.) It was nice, back
stateside there were very few commercial jets then.

I saw Forrestal and Saratoga yesterday, moored at the old Newport
destroyer pier, with barges as spacers. A lot of the masts are gone, and
there are some strange "catwalks" high up on the island that look
neither familiar nor weather-proof. One of Forrestal's anchors is gone
(I think it went to Nimitz or Vinson when the four propellors went to
JFK,) and a lot of black paint shows above the waterline. The overhang
viewed from ahead looks a lot bigger than I remembered. We drove out the
pierhead to a locked but unguarded gate. Hangar bay doors were closed
and I didn't see any large gangways. We drove around to Coddington Point
(where in 7/58 I watched DD's leave one by one after dark to support the
Beirut landings,) with a good view of the fantails - which look quite
different, they seem to be boxed in but I don't know the later overhaul
activity on Sara and Forrestal and what might have been done.

With Midway now offered to San Diego, it will be interesting to see the
final disposition of Forrestal and Saratoga. Knowing the financial
problems of the much smaller Intrepid in NYC, I can't imagine any
private group being able to support the Forrestals as museum ships. As
much as I would love to find my old "Ready 3", squadron office, and
staterooms (on the 02 and 03 levels), and think I could after 40 years,
I won't hold my breath until they become museums. FDR disappeared before
anyone knew she was gone; Coral Sea was a Baltimore nightmare for many
years; Midway may go the museum route. But the Forrestals are huge. I am
glad I saw "59" once more, but it was a sad day for me.
Joel McEachen VAH-5

Mike Kanze wrote:
CORAL SEA was "Mustang", leading to any number of her JO bunkrooms calling
themselves "Mustang Ranch" during her long career.

Old August 25th 03, 01:22 AM
Ron

I knew two different aviators with the call sign "Otis".

One was an attack type and told me that his stood for "On Target Is
Standard"

The other told me that when the boat pulled into a foreign port he would go
into town, get drunk, go back to the ship and call his wife somehow and
start bawling and telling her everything that he did while he was drunk.
His squadron mates noticed an immediate similarity to Otis the town drunk on
the old Andy of Mayberry show, and the name stuck forever...

José Herculano wrote in message
This "Man Luv" Monlux is surely one I'd hate to have.
Now "Lingus" Cuni, has a ring to it.

Please do share the most preposterous you have come across.
_____________
José Herculano

Old August 29th 03, 05:15 PM
John R Weiss

"Doug "Woody" and Erin Beal" wrote...

Until recently, he was the skipper at VFA-81. They had a "mini-scandal"
when they pulled in from cruise last December, and the jet with his callsign
on it made the TV news.

The Navy in its finite wisdom did a JAG investigation to determine command
culture. [Paraphrase] How could the CO (himself) allow the command to use
such a callsign and what kind of image does that promote.

What did they conclude?

I thought Patsy Schroeder and her ilk had gone away; I guess not...

Old August 30th 03, 04:10 AM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

On 8/29/03 11:15 AM, in article
, "John R Weiss"
wrote:

"Doug "Woody" and Erin Beal" wrote...

Until recently, he was the skipper at VFA-81. They had a "mini-scandal"
when they pulled in from cruise last December, and the jet with his callsign
on it made the TV news.

The Navy in its finite wisdom did a JAG investigation to determine command
culture. [Paraphrase] How could the CO (himself) allow the command to use
such a callsign and what kind of image does that promote.

What did they conclude?

I wish I knew. I'll e-mail the new skipper and find out.

--Woody

I thought Patsy Schroeder and her ilk had gone away; I guess not...

Old September 10th 03, 04:58 AM
Ryan Maves

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 10:20:10 GMT, "Doug \"Woody\" and Erin Beal"
wrote:

On 8/28/03 9:38 AM, in article ,
"FastMover114" wrote:

I met "Lingus" Cuni when he was flying with VFA-151, good guy.

Concur.

Until recently, he was the skipper at VFA-81. They had a "mini-scandal"
when they pulled in from cruise last December, and the jet with his callsign
on it made the TV news.

The Navy in its finite wisdom did a JAG investigation to determine command
culture. [Paraphrase] How could the CO (himself) allow the command to use
such a callsign and what kind of image does that promote.

Skipper Cuny is a tremendous guy. Risque (and hilarious) callsign
aside, the man is a true gentleman. The microscopic fallout in our air
wing after his mini-scandal was no big deal.
-rcm