A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Wanted: a Digital Average Display for a Borgelt B40 Vario

Old December 16th 12, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

Default Wanted: a Digital Average Display for a Borgelt B40 Vario

I'm looking for a Digital Average Display (DAD) for a Borgelt B40 Vario. New or used. Only 300 hours on the instrument.
Old December 16th 12, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ProfChrisReed
external usenet poster

On Sunday, December 16, 2012 6:37:31 PM UTC, son_of_flubber wrote:
I'm looking for a Digital Average Display (DAD) for a Borgelt B40 Vario. New or used. Only 300 hours on the instrument.

Ermm ... why?

You can fit a simple two-way switch to go between average and instantaneous display on the needle (see manual, but it's a 5 minute job). I use my B40 on average pretty much all the time, using the audio for instantaneous readings. Works really well, and if that needle is even a hair above 0 then you're climbing.
Old December 16th 12, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

On Sunday, December 16, 2012 5:42:22 PM UTC-5, ProfChrisReed wrote:
On Sunday, December 16, 2012 6:37:31 PM UTC, son_of_flubber wrote:

I'm looking for a Digital Average Display (DAD) for a Borgelt B40 Vario.. New or used. Only 300 hours on the instrument.

Ermm ... why?

You can fit a simple two-way switch to go between average and instantaneous display on the needle (see manual, but it's a 5 minute job). I use my B40 on average pretty much all the time, using the audio for instantaneous readings. Works really well, and if that needle is even a hair above 0 then you're climbing.

That is an excellent idea. Should I feel the need to stare at the panel, I have a secondary mechanical vario that reads "instantaneous".

Someone offered me a new DAD for $150, but that seems a little high. I like your solution better.
Old December 17th 12, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soartech[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Dec 16, 5:42*pm, ProfChrisReed wrote:

Does being in average mode change the audio? What is the averaging
time?
Old December 17th 12, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

On Monday, December 17, 2012 12:42:43 PM UTC-5, soartech wrote:

Does being in average mode change the audio? What is the averaging

time?

The audio averages over a 1-5 seconds period (running average). Period is factory set to 2 seconds. Adjustment of a pot must be done on the ground with access panel open to change the sample period. The "Average Mode" averages over 20 seconds. There is a momentary contact white push button on the face of the vario. Press the white button and the average is displayed on the dial. I believe that the 20 second average is stored and periodically (say every second) recomputed, so when you press the button, you immediately get the average for the last 20 seconds.

The suggested mode is to put a flip switch in parallel with the white button so that the 20 second running average is displayed and continually updated on the analog-like dial. The audio provides the 2 second average. The secondary mechanical vario displays something similar to the 2 second average on the analog dial.

The DAD is a numeric LCD that continually displays the 20 second average (the dial would display the 2 second average).