K-13 TO k-7 elevator

Old August 20th 03, 12:22 AM
Vassilios Mazis

Default K-13 TO k-7 elevator

hello all,

I am thinking of replacing a K-7 elevator and possible the whole
horizontal stab + elevator with one from a K-13. I guess I will be
asking Scleicher if such action is approved, but are there any
oppinions out there about it ?
has it been done before ?

incidentally, can you do the reverse, ie use K-7 wings on a damaged
K-13 ?

regards

Vassilios
Old August 31st 03, 07:25 PM
Dave Martin

Ian you may find that this is a K7 conversion. Several
K7's were converted to K13 look a likes. We had four
at Camphill, the fuselage was considerable wider at
the waist and had a spacing section placed as you describe.
The way to tell the difference is that the K13 has
a sprung wheel -- I think the older ones were on the
end of the skid and the K7 is not sprung. The K7 tailplane
has round tips on the elevator and the K13 square ones.

The rose bearing fixings are a different size and spacing
again from memory the K7 has smaller and closer fixings
and the front fixing bolt may be a different distance
from the bearings.

Dave M

At 10:48 31 August 2003, Ian Johnston wrote:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 23:22:03 UTC, (Vassilios
Mazis)
wrote:

: incidentally, can you do the reverse, ie use K-7
wings on a damaged
: K-13 ?

Yes. The Scottish Gliding Union at Portmoak had a K13
with K7 wings -
may still have it. There was an intemediate framework
to space out the
two wing roots, and the additional foot or two of span
was said by
some to give noticeably better performance than a normal
K13.
Personally I always preferred the Bocian ...

There is/was also a K7m at Rufforth (Ouse GC, York
Gliding Centre)
which was a K7 with the wings moved down to K13 position.
I can't
remember how the root-separation problem was solved
in that case,
though.

Ian

A very basic question Ramapriya Piloting 45 November 9th 04 02:57 PM
Jammed Elevator Dale Piloting 43 September 14th 04 05:43 AM
Space Elevator Big John Home Built 111 July 21st 04 04:31 PM
Wanted - Cessna U206A elevator Colin Fitzmaurice Owning 0 May 18th 04 11:05 AM
Wanted - Cessna U206A elevator Colin Fitzmaurice Owning 0 May 1st 04 03:51 PM