Pilot weight and gliding

Old August 22nd 03, 04:14 AM
JohnH

Shirley wrote:
"Liam Finley" wrote...

On the other hand, if you are content to fly
Schweizer junk your whole life, you've got
nothing to worry about.

Unless that was said "tongue-in-cheek", that's just plain ignorant. You don't
have to like it, but Schweizer has its place. Not everyone who loves to go
places and drive has to do so in a Ferrari to enjoy the trip!

--Shirley

Well put, Shirley!

john

Old August 22nd 03, 05:23 AM
JohnH

F.L. Whiteley wrote:
Atkins, 22lbs between Thanksgiving and Easter and a little more since.
Although I bike 45-60mins most days, exercise won't do it all. When I did
high impact step in the mid-90's, I got into very good condition;^) and
gained 25lbs;^(

Frank Whiteley

Yep, I'm doing the Atkins...that worked well for a friend of mine also.
I guess gliding just gives me one more incentive to add to the long
list of incentives to slim down

john

Old August 22nd 03, 10:04 AM
goneill

As a single seater consider the Lak 12 ,a bear to rig if you don't have the
rigging gear but is a huge cockpit and
a max placarded weight 140kg - 150kg without tailballast.and 50/1 ld
I saw a pilot who put even put one on its nose while waiting for takeoff
"JohnH" wrote in message
et...
Hello,

I'm just now learning about Gliding and will start instruction soon.
Question: I'm 6ft tall and weigh 232 lbs. Have I weighed myself out of
many sailplane options? I DO plan on losing some more weight, but just
in case I don't, would appreciate some knowledge on this The
instructor said I'm ok for the trainer I'll be flying in.

Thanks in advance

john

Old August 22nd 03, 01:16 PM
Doug Hoffman

"Guy Byars" wrote in message ...
If you want to move into high performance single seaters, your
options will be somewhat restricted, but you'll manage to find
something. Its typical for Euro gliders to come out of the factory
with a max cockpit load of 242 lbs (110 kg.), but that often gets
reduced when extra equipment is installed.

Most high performance gliders have provision to store ballast in the tail.
This could increase the minimum cockpit weight. You will have to reduce the
water ballast accordingly to stay below gross weight.

I will assume you meant "maximum" cockpit weight.

Isn't water ballast a different issue from fuselage weight? In other
words, it may be perfectly ok, structurally, to add 300 lbs of water
in the wings but that same 300 lbs added to the fuselage (with pilot)
would not be ok. The issue is the structural limits of attachment of
the fuse to the wings, I believe. Perhaps I simply misread your
message and this is not what you were implying. But I add this
comment just to make the issue clear to the original poster.

Water in the wings does not stress the attachment of the fuse.

-Doug
Old August 22nd 03, 01:38 PM
Vaughn

"Andy Blackburn" wrote in message
Atkins - 35 lbs. in 2.5 mos.

Watch the cholesterol though.

When I was first looking seriously at soaring, weight was an issue. I
went the low-fat route, lost about 50 pounds, and haven't looked back. It
also got me off cholesterol medication. Like all diets, low fat has its
medical caveats. Low fat products tend to substitute sugar for fat to add
taste; watch your blood sugar.

Vaughn

Old August 22nd 03, 02:37 PM
Nolaminar

The real problem with Schweizer sailplanes it the quality of the gelcoat.
GA
Old August 22nd 03, 03:05 PM
Drew Hamilton

JohnH wrote:
have also received some encouraging and enlightening emails. I
apparently am not the only one on this board that has been fighting the
pilot weight problem ;

I weigh 220 and I should probably weigh about 170. I fly powered planes
and I've just started soaring. I don't really know about soaring, since
I just started and my instructor is a beanpole, but in powered planes, my
biggest problem has been how many passengers I can take. Right now I can
get 2 adults and 1 kid, but if I lose the 50 lbs., I can take 3 adults
(assuming that one of them is a woman, probably). Also, when I fly solo,
it means that I could take an extra 9 gallons (1 hour) of fuel on board.

In any case, don't let it bother you -- flying and soaring both kick ass!
Even if you have to fly in big clunky junk, it's still better than not
flying at all.

- awh

Old August 22nd 03, 07:55 PM
Mark James Boyd

Not ignorance. I've more time in Schweizers than most US pilots have
in the air total. Yes, they have their place, it's called an aluminum
recycling plant.

What a coincidence! I was just opening such a plant! Anyone
wanting to discard their Schweizer please bring it to me and
I will happily pay the going recycle rate.
(Sanford and Sons theme plays in the background, then
Sir Mix-A-Lot lyric "pull up quick to git widdum")

Hmmm...620,000 US pilots, 130K US pilots with Airplane ATP (1500+ hrs).
Average US pilot, must have well over 300 hrs. So Liam has over 300
hours in Schweizers.

How'd he do that since they're such hunks of junk? Perhaps a
LOT of time on tow... :PPPP