Feet Per Minute Conversion Question

Old August 23rd 03, 08:54 PM
Steve B

Default Feet Per Minute Conversion Question

I think in Feet Per Minute... I must be from a different country.

How do you convert Kts per Sec / Meters per sec / Kilometers etc... to
Feet per minute

Thanks
Old August 23rd 03, 09:16 PM
JJ Sinclair

feet per sec X 0.508 = meters per sec

This from the 1987 SSA MEMBERSHIP HANDBOOK.

Haven't seen an updated book in 20 years. It has lots of useful information,
like this in it.
JJ Sinclair
Old August 23rd 03, 11:09 PM
Pete S

Looks like they made the mistake of assuming that a nautical mile was 6000
feet when it's actually 6080 ft

Old August 24th 03, 01:19 AM
MikeYankee

300 fpm = 3 knots
500 fpm = 5 knots

etc., etc., etc.

Mike Yankee

(Address is munged to thwart spammers.
To reply, delete everything after "com".)
Old August 24th 03, 01:53 AM
Dave Ellis

1 Knot = 1 NM/Hr = 6080ft/Hr * 1Hr/60min = 101.3 Ft/min
For practical variometer purposes, equate 1 knot to 100 ft/min

Dave Ellis

om...

Old August 24th 03, 03:13 AM
Ralph Jones

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 23:09:17 +0100, "Pete S"
wrote:

Looks like they made the mistake of assuming that a nautical mile was 6000
feet when it's actually 6080 ft

It's actually 6076.115 feet, but 1 knot=100 fpm is entirely precise
enough for glide computation purposes.

rj
Old August 24th 03, 03:28 AM
HL Falbaum

For practical purposes in flight, 1 meter/Sec = 2 knots = 200 ft/Min
100 knots is about 185 Km/Hr
Not exactly but close enough for mental arithmetic.

--
Hartley Falbaum
om...

Old August 24th 03, 04:57 AM
Martin Hellman

(Steve B) wrote in message . com...
I think in Feet Per Minute... I must be from a different country.

How do you convert Kts per Sec / Meters per sec / Kilometers etc... to
Feet per minute

Thanks

While the other responses give the data, there is one point I'd like
to add. Within about 1% accuracy, 100 fpm = 1 kt = 1/2 m/sec. Forget
the 0.508. Who has the mental accuracy (or instrument accuracy) to
work to three significant figures?

It struck me as strange that, within this roughly 1% accuracy,
nautical miles make more sense than either statute miles or the metric
system. When they standardized on the metric system, it's interesting
that they did not decimalize time. We still have 60 sec/min and 60
min/hour. So m/sec and km/hr do not have any nice relation, at least
for those of us who think decimally. But converting fpm to kts is easy
because 6000 (the approximate number of feet in a nautical mile) is
divisible by 60. So, when I have a 1% upgrade on a takeoff runway and
take off at 60 kts, it knocks 60 fpm off my climb rate. Not too much.
But a 2% grade knocks 120 fpm off, getting to be a bit more of a
concern.

Too bad a nautical mile isn't exactly 6000 feet. Or that the metric
guys didn't change to 100,000 seconds per day (now there are 86,400)
and break the day into 10 hours, each with 100 minute, each with 100
seconds. I guess it says something about how deeply ingrained time is
in our culture that they didn't, or couldn't, mess with it. (See E T
Hall's "The Dance of Life" if you're interested in delving further.
It's at least as good in my opinion as his better known "Beyond
Culture.")

Martin
Old August 24th 03, 06:41 AM
John H. Campbell

When they standardized on the metric system, it's interesting
that they did not decimalize time.

"They" (the revolutionary French in the late 18th C) did, including days and
months (which aren't arbitrary but relate to astronomical events). But it
wasn't popular or accurate and usage reverted to the old units after a few
years.