Navigational Question of the Day

Old August 28th 03, 12:24 AM
JJ Sinclair

Default Navigational Question of the Day

What are the 4 situations where course, heading and track are all equal?
JJ Sinclair
Old August 28th 03, 02:06 AM
Bob Kibby

I think this is a trick question since I see only 3 choices and I have to
answer 4 questions! Waiting for the answer, since I am not smart enough to
figure it out.

Bob Kibby "2BK"

This mailbox protected from junk email by Matador

Old August 28th 03, 02:28 AM
Ivan Kahn

"JJ Sinclair" wrote in message
What are the 4 situations where course, heading and track are all equal?
JJ Sinclair

How about from the north pole going south, the south pole going north, and
on the equator east or west. All directions relative to true north and zero
wind.

Ivan

Old August 28th 03, 02:43 AM
JJ Sinclair

Ivan wrote.
How about from the north pole going south, the south pole going north, and
on the equator east or west. All directions relative to true north and zero
wind.

Zero wind is one of them, but that relationship works anywhere on earth, we
don't have to go to the poles or to the equator to have course, heading and
track equal, in a zero wind situation.
JJ Sinclair
Old August 28th 03, 03:36 AM
E. A. Grens

1. At the north pole (all 180).

2. At the south pole (all 0).

3. In absolutely still air.

4. In a trailer ( unless skidding wildly).

Ed grens

Old August 28th 03, 02:54 PM
JJ Sinclair

Al wrote..
er on the ground waiting to launch

One must be in motion to have a track.
JJ Sinclair
Old August 28th 03, 06:31 PM
Brian Case

Ok, I know three of them what is the 4th.

The only time Course and Heading are equal is when you happen to be
pointed the same direction as your desired course. The also assumes
Coordinated straight and level Flight.(maybe you considered this #4)

If course and Heading are equal the only time The Track will be equal
is:

1. With no Wind

2. With a direct Headwind (on course)

3. With a direct Tailwind (on course)

Brian

Old August 28th 03, 07:16 PM
JJ Sinclair

Very good Brian. You go to the head of the class. The fourth situation where
course, track and heading are all equal would be on takeoff roll, prior to lift
off.
JJ Sinclair
Old August 28th 03, 09:55 PM
Ivan Kahn

"JJ Sinclair" wrote in message
Al wrote..
er on the ground waiting to launch

One must be in motion to have a track.
JJ Sinclair

Well, just for fun I'll split a hair. According to the listed sources,
"Track" is defined as the "...intended or desired horizontal direction of
travel..." The term "course over ground" refers to the "..actual path of a
vessel with respect to the earth..."

American Practical Navigation, Bowditch, 1977
Dutton's Navigation & Piloting, Maloney, 1978

Clearly my sources are founded in nautical navigation, and so where did you
locate the aviation definition?

Ivan