Surface radiators for water cooled engines

Old July 2nd 03, 03:02 PM
Wooduuuward

Thanks Boob,
nice of you to be so polite.
What I've spoken of is fact, if you would like to check it
out you will find the U.S. Military has the technology currently.
Fact: Henry "Smokey" Yunick was alive and kicking in the 1980's
and the three big auto makers offered him $200 g's for the rights
to it. Fact.
As for the backyard mechanic, that's exactly what Smokey was,
and well paid for it.

Barnyard BOb -- mumbled:

The fellow of which you speak is Henry "Smokey" Yunick.
He was my hero back in the 50's, when I was the average
impressionable teeny bopper subject to spouting stuff like you.

FWIW....
Imply what you will, but there is NOTHING to look into
application-wise, where surface radiators are concerned or
anything else that a backyard builder can readily put to use.
http://www.bankspower.com/tech_coolair.cfm

Barnyard BOb -- 50 years of flight

Wooduuuward commented:

There is an engine in the U.S. patent offices (so nobody can use it)
developed by 'Smokey' who wrote a self help column in Popular
Science magazine for years, that doesn't use a radiator. It takes the
heat from the engine and uses it to preheat the fuel to pre detonation
temperature and thus allows 55% of fuel energy to be used rather
than the 12% now used in conventional engines.
You should look into this. I became aware of it a few months ago.
It can be found in the 1980 or 1984 issues.

Old July 2nd 03, 03:07 PM
Wooduuuward

Henry "Smokey" Yunick already did.

Corky Scott wrote:
I don't think anyone has any experience actually building the type of
cooling system you suggest. I further postulate that the reason is
because it doesn't work very well, is extremely difficult to fabricate
and co$t$ too much for the supposed (and as yet undetermined)
benefits.

But if you feel you can build this type of system, perhaps you should.
Then you can tell the world about your success.

Corky Scott

Old July 2nd 03, 05:29 PM
Corky Scott

Corky Scott wrote:
I don't think anyone has any experience actually building the type of
cooling system you suggest. I further postulate that the reason is
because it doesn't work very well, is extremely difficult to fabricate
and co$t$ too much for the supposed (and as yet undetermined)
benefits.

But if you feel you can build this type of system, perhaps you should.
Then you can tell the world about your success.

Corky Scott

Right, Smokey was nearly a God. He could pull more power out of an
engine than just about anyone else who called him a peer.

But for some reason, this cooling system he invented/fabricated did
not become widely known. Wonder why not? Could it be that it was too
expensive, too hard to fabricate and too vulnerable?

Corky Scott
Old July 2nd 03, 05:29 PM
Barnyard BOb --

Wooduuuward driveled:

Thanks Boob,
nice of you to be so polite.
What I've spoken of is fact, if you would like to check it
out you will find the U.S. Military has the technology currently.
Fact: Henry "Smokey" Yunick was alive and kicking in the 1980's
and the three big auto makers offered him $200 g's for the rights
to it. Fact.
As for the backyard mechanic, that's exactly what Smokey was,
and well paid for it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here's a fact for ya, dipstick....
You're the ****ing boob and a very gullible one at that.

This is a PATENTED invention, right?
Nobody can LEGALLY build this engine without paying...
assuming one even had the talent and money to do so.

Assuming the 'military' does have this technology,
it must be not be too damn hot if they have not made
use of it in the last 20 years.

You're continuing to waste everyone's time with your
impractical nonsense and visions of grandeur, bonehead.

Barnyard BOb -- resident curmudgeon
Old July 2nd 03, 06:48 PM
Orval Fairbairn

Corky Scott wrote:
I don't think anyone has any experience actually building the type of
cooling system you suggest. I further postulate that the reason is
because it doesn't work very well, is extremely difficult to fabricate
and co$t$ too much for the supposed (and as yet undetermined)
benefits.

But if you feel you can build this type of system, perhaps you should.
Then you can tell the world about your success.

Corky Scott

Right, Smokey was nearly a God. He could pull more power out of an
engine than just about anyone else who called him a peer.

But for some reason, this cooling system he invented/fabricated did
not become widely known. Wonder why not? Could it be that it was too
expensive, too hard to fabricate and too vulnerable?

Corky Scott

I believe that the thermodynamics involved don't fit the problem.
Evaproating the fuel as it goes into the engin won't provide sufficient
cooling to do the job.

Regarding surface radiators, they are too prone to crack development,
being exposed to constant vibration and airframe flexing to be practical.

The Scneider Cup racers of the 20s/30s flew only a few hours total, so
there was no long-term exposure to these conditions. I would certainly
hate to have one start spewing coolant over the middle of Alligator
Swamp.

--
To get random signatures put text files into a folder called ³Random Signatures² into your Preferences folder.
Old July 2nd 03, 09:50 PM
Wooduuuward

the adiabatic engine in Popular Science, used almost no water to cool the
engine because it was designed to run red hot. It was designed and tested in small
car by Smokey.

Old July 2nd 03, 10:05 PM
Russell Kent

Ernest Christley wrote:

The military is exempt from patent restrictions,

I doubt that statement is true, but I have no facts to either prove or
disprove the statement. In any case, the U.S. military does not (as a rule)
manufacture much of its own equipment. That is done by subcontractors who
are very much bound by U.S. patent law.

Russell Kent

Old July 3rd 03, 01:51 AM
Michael McNulty

"Russell Kent" wrote in message
Ernest Christley wrote:

The military is exempt from patent restrictions,

I doubt that statement is true, but I have no facts to either prove or
disprove the statement. In any case, the U.S. military does not (as a

rule)
manufacture much of its own equipment. That is done by subcontractors who
are very much bound by U.S. patent law.

Russell Kent

Actually, the normal U.S. military development contract has a clause called
"authorization and consent" that specifically authorizes the contractor to
infringe on any patents that it sees fit too, and whereby the U.S.
government consents to accept any liability associated with this
infringement (i.e. they agree to allow themselves to be sued by the patent
holder).

Believe it or not.

Old July 3rd 03, 03:05 AM
RobertR237

In article , Barnyard BOb --
writes:

The fellow of which you speak is Henry "Smokey" Yunick.
He was my hero back in the 50's, when I was the average
impressionable teeny bopper subject to spouting stuff like you.

Oh my God! Here I thought that the only hero you ever had was that old coot
that stares back at you from the mirror every morning. BFG

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)