Avionics (Radio Problem) Narrowed Down... I Think???

Old November 7th 05, 07:43 PM
three-eight-hotel

Default Avionics (Radio Problem) Narrowed Down... I Think???

Hi all,

I have posted three times, regarding the radio problems, that have
seemed impossible to identify root cause for:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...09e45844bccf31

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...f31af512b6a a

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...6bb2d7a73268b6

This weekend, I went up with a friend (more electronics savvy than I)
and we flew to breakfast, troubleshooting on the way. The radio never
worked, from my initial call, to my landing at the destination (used
the handheld as a backup).

He mentioned a past problem he had with the relay switch in his audio
panel, and we slid my panel out to take a look... There is a relay
switch, labeled: AMF Potter Brumfield with a part number of:
R40-E1-X4. We popped out that switch, and he carefully tried to open
it up with his pocket knife. He got it half-way out, but didn't want
to force it, so re-inserted it, but also made a visual inspection for
any obvious signs of defect. Nothing obvious was visible.

After breakfast, we threw it back in the plane and the radio worked
perfectly (for the first time in a long time).

So we're thinking one of the relay connections may have been sticking,
and the slight fidgiting with it, might have helped, at least
temporarily??? I'll keep flying it, and hope that the problem may have
been resolved, but I would really like to get another relay switch as a
standby, assuming they they are relatively cheap? Problem is... I
can't seem to find one, on the web, without going through some
mega-part store with large minimum orders required.

Does anyone have an idea where I might be able to find this part?

AMF Potter Brumfield R40-E1-X4

Thanks in advance for any recommendations! And, thanks to all of those
in the past who provided feedback to this frustrating issue!

Best Regards,
Todd

Old November 7th 05, 07:52 PM
Tauno Voipio

three-eight-hotel wrote:
[...]

Google found a couple of places, e.g.

http://www.mistersprockets.com/relays.html

4935-LW-M02-9619 SEE R40-E1-X4-V200 85 $

Hope this helps

--

Tauno Voipio (Piper Turbo Arrow IV, OH-PYM)
tauno voipio (at) iki fi
Old November 7th 05, 07:59 PM
three-eight-hotel

Thanks Tauno!

I hit google, and recall seeing "mistersprockets", but don't recall why
I didn't notice they have no minimum order???

Anyway, a related question... I noticed on several of the other sites,
I got from the google search, the -V200 after the part number. I also
saw several other post-fixes for similar parts. I don't recall seeing
anything after the -X4 on the switch in the audio panel, and would have
certainly wrote it down if I had. Can someone tell me the significance
of the -V200, and if it is compatible with what would be in the audio
panel?

Thanks!
Todd

Old November 7th 05, 11:25 PM
three-eight-hotel

MisterSprockets say they can sell me the switch for $150, or $65 each
if I buy 5! I think I can pick up an entire used audio panel for ~
$150, so I may hang tight and see if the radio continues to work.

I think I may also take another shot at opening that switch up and
spraying the component/connector cleaner in it for good measure.

Thanks,
Todd

Old November 8th 05, 12:19 AM
soxinbox

I believe the v200 means it has a 200 ohm coil resistance. Thus at 12v, it
will draw 60ma of current. The same relay is also available with 3.2k ohm
and 800 ohm coils.

oups.com...

Old November 8th 05, 04:50 AM

On 7-Nov-2005, "three-eight-hotel" wrote:

Does anyone have an idea where I might be able to find this part?

AMF Potter Brumfield R40-E1-X4

Potter Brumfield is now a subsidiary of Tyco. The Potter Brumfield page of
the Tyco Electronics website (http://relays.tycoelectronics.com/pnb.asp)
does not show the R40 series, so I suspect that you have an obsolete part
number. (How old is the audio panel?) It is possible that there is a
plug-compatible new part (or just a new part number for the same part), but
you would probably have to call Potter Brumfield to get a cross reference.
If you do find a direct replacement, a distributor like Digikey
(www.digikey.com) will probably be able to provide one at a reasonable
price, unless it is a really exotic part.

Good luck!

--
-Elliott Drucker
Old November 8th 05, 07:29 AM
RST Engineering

What is a relay switch? I've never seen one. I've seen relays. I've seen
switches. I've never seen a relay switch.

Most avionics designers shy away from really exotic and hard to find stuff.
If this is a simple relay and somebody can come up with a pinout for it, you
can easily modify an off the shelf relay to do the job. It may even have a
Rat Schlock part number on it !

Jim

Old November 8th 05, 01:41 PM
Robet Coffey

RST Engineering wrote:
[...]

relays are commonly called relay switches. soda = soda pop = pop = cokes
Old November 8th 05, 02:51 PM
RST Engineering

Excuse me, "Robet", but after 46 years in the biz you'd think I would know
of whence I speak. Because I like to give advice that is correct, I ask for
confirmation of things I don't understand. I don't understand "relay
switch" because I've never heard of it. It is neither common nor
conventional.

If you can't add anything to the problem/solution except pedantry, butt the
hell out.

Jim

"Robet Coffey" wrote in message
RST Engineering wrote:
What is a relay switch?

relays are commonly called relay switches. soda = soda pop = pop = cokes

Old November 8th 05, 05:30 PM
TaxSrv

"RST Engineering" wrote:
What is a relay switch? I've never seen one. I've seen
relays. I've seen switches. I've never seen a relay switch.

A quick Google shows the R40-etc. is a discontinued relay. It
would seem like a Rube Goldberg setup for a simple audio switching
panel. Unless it fancily switches comm 1/2 with simple pushbuttons
and indicator lights. Thence a latching relay, or more Rube
Goldbergian, with a monostable and a flip-flop? But if it has a
BOTH feature, then how we do that? :-)

Reg,
Fred F.