Avionics (Radio Problem) Narrowed Down... I Think???

Old November 8th 05, 06:42 PM
three-eight-hotel

Default Avionics (Radio Problem) Narrowed Down... I Think???

I think "relay" is the correct terminology for this component. I
thought they were referred to as "relay switches", but all sites I have
seen do refer to them as "relays".

I'll have to go in and take a closer look to see if there are any other
numbers on this panel to be able to respond more accurately. My last
trip up to the airport, I tried to document names and model numbers of
all avionics in the panel so I could provide better data. The audio
panel didn't have a name on it that I could decipher... All I could
recall getting from it was the info off the relay, including the
manufacturer and part number. I don't recall if there was any
additional information???

I also don't have any idea how old it is? I was surprised, however to
find that the relay for a second COM and marker beacon components were
removed. That's what I get for buying used and having it installed
sight-unseen! I'm learning some valuable lessons, the hard way!

If anyone cares, I will post an update after I've had a chance to get
up and look at the audio panel again... May be a few days...

Thanks again for the feedback!
Todd

Old November 8th 05, 09:49 PM
Aaron Coolidge

three-eight-hotel wrote:
: I also don't have any idea how old it is? I was surprised, however to
: find that the relay for a second COM and marker beacon components were
: removed. That's what I get for buying used and having it installed
: sight-unseen! I'm learning some valuable lessons, the hard way!

If it is a Cessna audio panel many came without hookups for 2nd com,
makers, etc. I flew many C-152's with single com and Cessna audio panel.
The audio panel has switch holes for more radios, but no switches in
said holes. The PCB has spaces for relays, resistors, etc. but no components
installed.

If, indeed, it is a Cessna audio panel, you can get another one from
Airwich Avionics. Or, you could toss it and get a better audio panel.

--
Aaron C.
Old November 9th 05, 12:00 AM
Matt Whiting

Robet Coffey wrote:

relays are commonly called relay switches. soda = soda pop = pop = cokes

In what part of the world? I've been an EE for 20 years and I've never
heard of a device called a relay switch. Maybe it is common somewhere
in the world, but not in the USA.

Matt
Old November 9th 05, 05:55 PM
three-eight-hotel

If it is a Cessna audio panel many came without hookups for 2nd com,
makers, etc. I flew many C-152's with single com and Cessna audio panel.
The audio panel has switch holes for more radios, but no switches in
said holes. The PCB has spaces for relays, resistors, etc. but no components
installed.

That seems to be the case, however, I was told that it included marker
beacon indicators... All word of mouth/he-said-she-said, so I guess
going down that road is a lost cause (I've had the audio panel for
nearly a year now)

If, indeed, it is a Cessna audio panel, you can get another one from
Airwich Avionics. Or, you could toss it and get a better audio panel.

I checked out this site, and they didn't seem to have any audio panels.
Believe me... a new audio panel has crossed my mind, several times,
but I would be looking at a re-wire to accomodate the new audio panel,
and remove my intercom (since it would likely be built into a newer
audio panel). When all is said and done, I would probably be looking
at $1500 -$2000 (just a guess). If I can get away with what I've got,
and potentially get away with a ~$20 relay fix, I would be happy with
that, until I can really afford to go in and upgrade the entire panel.

Thanks for the input!
Todd

Old November 9th 05, 08:56 PM
Robet Coffey

RST Engineering wrote:
Excuse me, "Robet", but after 46 years in the biz you'd think I would know
of whence I speak. Because I like to give advice that is correct, I ask for
confirmation of things I don't understand. I don't understand "relay
switch" because I've never heard of it. It is neither common nor
conventional.

If you can't add anything to the problem/solution except pedantry, butt the
hell out.

Jim

"Robet Coffey" wrote in message

RST Engineering wrote:

What is a relay switch?

relays are commonly called relay switches. soda = soda pop = pop = cokes

RST Engineering wrote:

What is a relay switch? I've never seen one. I've seen relays.

I've seen switches. I've never seen a relay switch.

you knew what the poster meant by relay switch, you were just being a
asshole trying to embarrass a layperson for calling it a relay switch
instead of simply a relay- pompous ass. nontechnical persons like
myself, the poster incorrectly use the term from time to time....deal
with it.
Old November 9th 05, 09:22 PM
Robet Coffey

Matt Whiting wrote:
Robet Coffey wrote:

relays are commonly called relay switches. soda = soda pop = pop =
cokes

In what part of the world? I've been an EE for 20 years and I've never
heard of a device called a relay switch. Maybe it is common somewhere
in the world, but not in the USA.

Matt

Matt I doubt many EE would call it a relay switch. I live in the
southeast (coalfields) and have heard non-technical people (myself
included) use the term "relay" and "relay switch" interchangeably most
of my life. Incorrectly so, I take it. I don't know where the poster is
from so I can't speak for him/her. I do want to stress that I am
layperson in electronics and have heard the term only used by like persons.

Come visit the coalfields... we likely have many words you won't hear
anywhere else in the U.S.!
Old November 9th 05, 11:17 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Robet Coffey wrote:
Matt Whiting wrote:

In what part of the world? I've been an EE for 20 years and I've
never heard of a device called a relay switch. Maybe it is common
somewhere in the world, but not in the USA.

Matt I doubt many EE would call it a relay switch. I live in the
southeast (coalfields) and have heard non-technical people (myself
included) use the term "relay" and "relay switch" interchangeably most
of my life. Incorrectly so, I take it. I don't know where the poster is
from so I can't speak for him/her. I do want to stress that I am
layperson in electronics and have heard the term only used by like persons.

I've got less years than Jim but more than Matt in the gulf states
oilfield onshore/offshore (Texas to Florida and the Caribbean) as a
tech. This was the first time I've heard the term "relay switch" by even
"non-technical people"...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special...y+switch&go=Go
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=relay%20switch
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/relay%20switch
Old November 10th 05, 12:36 AM
three-eight-hotel

Okay... so non-technical doesn't even begin to describe me, when it
comes to electronics. I also thought my original problem was due to a
malfunctioning fetzer value and thought some gauze and ball-bearings
might do the trick (Fletch reference) :-)

In my defense, I looked at several sites for the part that matched that
part number, including some searches that included the words relay and
switch. A simple google search on "relay switch" comes up with an
entire page of which "relay switch" is used in the title or brief
description for every hit. I didn't look into the details of any one
link, but may have made a sub-conscious conclusion that the terminology
was valid.

Putting the relay vs. relay switch discussion aside, these groups are
an incredible source for someone to get assistance in an area they are
not comfortable. Even though I may come across as a moron at times, I
have gained a substantial amount of knowledge and most importantly have
decided to stop looking at my plane as a black-box, which reponds to
power and control inputs.

I will humbly listen to anyone who has taken the time to respond to my
posts and make a decision whether that feedback is worthy of follow-up
effort on my part or not.

Respond as condescendingly or as humbly as you want, just respond! ;-)
Advice on these newsgroups is free, but taking my plane in to an
avionics shop, I don't trust, to troubleshoot a problem that could
require significant hours of labor is not! I'll take what I can get!

Thanks to all and best regards!
Todd

Old November 10th 05, 03:15 AM
Robert Coffey

Darrel Toepfer wrote:
Robet Coffey wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote:

[...]

It could be slang, but I'm not making it up. Google search actually
turned up a few.
http://www.nema.org/prod/be/enclosur.../relay-switch/
http://www.extensivemods.com/modules...howpage&pid=74 - 16k -
http://www.quasarelectronics.com/3126.htm
and here are some harvard doods that designs them:

Optimal Design of a MEMS Relay Switch
Authors: M.P. Brenner, J. Lang, J. Li, J. Qiu and A. Slocum
Affilation: Harvard University, USA
Pages: 214 - 217

They are for microelectromechanical devices, so I guess it's used (by
us)a little out of context.
Old November 10th 05, 05:54 AM
Darrel Toepfer

Robert Coffey wrote:

It could be slang, but I'm not making it up. Google search actually
turned up a few.

I avoid Google and Yahoo, just because...

http://www.nema.org/prod/be/enclosur.../relay-switch/

Has links that loop. I surmise that they have enclosures for relays and
switches from the listed manufacturers...

http://www.extensivemods.com/modules...howpage&pid=74 - 16k -

Switches 12 volts, has a 2 amp limit... No relay is visible...

http://www.quasarelectronics.com/3126.htm

Looks to be a SPDT Relay... All relays "switch" between NO and/or NC
contacts... A switch does just that between Open & Closed states...