Garmin 430/530 WAAS upgrade reminder Nov 15

Old November 10th 05, 10:20 PM
Paul kgyy

Default Garmin 430/530 WAAS upgrade reminder Nov 15

Garmin has announced that the upgrade cost for the WAAS enhancement to
the G430/530 series is $1500 IF you sign up for the upgrade by November
15. Without a signup, the upgrade cost is $2000. When the upgrade is
available, you have the option to reject it.

I know that there is considerable skepticism about whether this will
ever be delivered, but the best way to make sure it isn't is if nobody
signs up for it. So if you do have one of these units, please provide
your serial number to your installer and get your name on the list.

There is no upfront cost aside from the time for the phone call.

Old November 10th 05, 11:47 PM
Jon Kraus

I'm in!! :-)

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
443H @ TYQ

Old November 11th 05, 01:48 AM
Scott Moore

Jon Kraus wrote On 11/10/05 14:47,:
I'm in!! :-)

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
443H @ TYQ

Paul kgyy wrote:

Garmin has announced that the upgrade cost for the WAAS enhancement to
the G430/530 series is $1500 IF you sign up for the upgrade by November
15. Without a signup, the upgrade cost is $2000. When the upgrade is
available, you have the option to reject it.

I know that there is considerable skepticism about whether this will
ever be delivered, but the best way to make sure it isn't is if nobody
signs up for it. So if you do have one of these units, please provide
your serial number to your installer and get your name on the list.

There is no upfront cost aside from the time for the phone call.

My airplane is on the list. Too bad it can't fly itself.

Old November 12th 05, 01:31 PM
Daren & Wendy

"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
oups.com...

I know that there is considerable skepticism about whether this will
ever be delivered, but the best way to make sure it isn't is if nobody
signs up for it. So if you do have one of these units, please provide
your serial number to your installer and get your name on the list.

There is no upfront cost aside from the time for the phone call.

I talked to the lady at Garmin yesterday as my dealer was registering me for
update. She said she's been swamped with last minute registers so I think
Garmin has got the picture that we want it done. I'm not holding my breath
on 2006 though.

Old November 12th 05, 04:20 PM
Doug

What functionality do you get after the upgrade that you don't have now?

Old November 12th 05, 05:34 PM
Ron Lee

I would like to know the full extent of the upgrade. Will the 430 now
have airways?

Ron Lee

Old November 12th 05, 08:22 PM
Ron Lee

What functionality do you get after the upgrade that you don't have now?

One is GPS/WAAS provided vertical guidance.

Ron Lee
Old November 13th 05, 01:36 AM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

At AOPA in Tampa, the Garmin rep said "No airways on 430/530 series GPS"

Then again they said WAAS in late 2003, early '04

I'm also waiting on terrain.

Thx, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

Old November 13th 05, 02:20 AM
Andrew Gideon

Victor J. Osborne, Jr. wrote:

At AOPA in Tampa, the Garmin rep said "No airways on 430/530 series GPS"

I've been told this as well. When I ask "why", I get silly answers like
"it's too complex a way to enter flight plans".

That always sounded silly to me...until I spoke to a VFR-only pilot about
it. So perhaps either (1) Garmin sells mostly to VFR pilots or (2) Garmin
tests their software mostly with VFR pilots.

Or perhaps (3) it was just a silly excuse. I've heard other silly things
that speak to some disconnect with the company. For example, technical
support once told me that there'd be no CPU speedup in the WAAS upgrade,
and that it would be done later. That same day, someone in engineering
told me "of course the CPU will be faster; that's required for
certification!"

They're all very nice and helpful. Amazing as I find it (I deal mostly with
tech firms {8^), Garmin has some friendly and communicative people working
for them. I just wish they'd get the story straight laugh.

Then again they said WAAS in late 2003, early '04

I'm also waiting on terrain.

Hey, isn't that out already (as of late last year, if I recall correctly)?
Or was that only for the 530?

- Andrew

Old November 13th 05, 04:14 AM
Viperdoc

Terrain is out now, on a limited basis. I'll believe WAAS when Garmin gets
their act together, if ever.