GA security question

Old November 15th 05, 02:32 PM
Frode Berg

Default GA security question

Hi!

This is a question to all you out there flying between commercial fields and
uncontrolled private strips.

In Europe these days, there is some legislation coming reg access to
airports, and security.

Basically, it involves that any person inside the fence should be "clean" in
other words go through a scanner and security check before allowed out to
the ramp.
Which makes sense.

However, what happenes when a C172 flies from a grass strip, and lands on
tha capital's international airport.

No one has "scanned" him at the grass strip, and thus he is not "clean". He
could be carrying a s***load of explosives on board and tax over to the
commercial planes, right?
Doeas he have to stop at the taxiway and be "checked" out by security before
taxiing to the hangar?

Do you have any rules for these sort of things in the US or other parts?

how about flying clubs operating from commercial airports? Do you have to go
through a security check every time to access the C150?

Anywere on the net I can learn more about these things in different
countries?

Thanks,

Frode Berg
Norway

Old November 15th 05, 03:01 PM
Dave Butler

Frode Berg wrote:
Hi!

This is a question to all you out there flying between commercial fields and
uncontrolled private strips.

In Europe these days, there is some legislation coming reg access to
airports, and security.

Hi Frode, I'm based at the central airport of class C airspace, Raleigh-Durham
International. Access to the ramp from the car-side is by a badge with a
magnetic stripe. I have to enter a PIN number after swiping my badge in the
badge reader. Anyone in my party is presumed to have been cleared by me. To get
my badge, I had to sign a statement to the effect that I am responsible for
anyone I bring onto the ramp.

At similar-sized airports, the security arrangements vary. At any airport with
airline service, there's usually some kind of supervision of the entrance to the
ramp, but that might be just the desk clerk at the FBO, who has to buzz the door
open for you, or it might be just that the furniture is arranged so that you
have to pass by the desk on the way to the door.

At Raleigh-Durham, if you come in through the FBO, and the desk clerk doesn't
know you, and you're not wearing an airport badge, the desk clerk will ask who
you are and why you need to access the ramp.

Anyone arriving from the air-side is not checked in any way.

Dave
Old November 15th 05, 04:01 PM
Paul kgyy

How do you carry a s***load of explosives in a 172?

And how is this any worse than driving a rental truck next to a city
bus?

Old November 20th 05, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Paul Missman wrote:
Frode,

At controlled airports in the US, the FBO desk clerk is going to find out
who you are before you are allowed onto the ramp.

Not at any airport I'm aware of. How would they do that?
Old November 20th 05, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Newps wrote:

Paul Missman wrote:

Frode,

At controlled airports in the US, the FBO desk clerk is going to find
out who you are before you are allowed onto the ramp.

Not at any airport I'm aware of. How would they do that?

Haven't flown into many since 9/11, have you? It really doesn't depend on
whether the airport is controlled or not; it depends on whether or not there's
commercial traffic. Try Cherokee Aviation at TYS, for example. The doors to the
ramp won't open from the inside unless the clerk allows it. SHD has a similar
arrangement, and they're not controlled.

Some airports had similar security before 9/11. In 1995, I stopped at a place in
Georgia (I think it was Albany) that had a key code pad on the ramp door.
Transients had to get an official to let them out. At Roanoke, the desk clerk
had to let you out for many years before 9/11.

George Patterson
If a tank is out of ammunition, what you have is a sixty ton portable
radio.
Old November 20th 05, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Newps" wrote:

At controlled airports in the US, the FBO desk clerk is going to find
out who you are before you are allowed onto the ramp.

Not at any airport I'm aware of. How would they do that?

How they find out who you are varies. They control access to the ramp
with electrically operated doors and gates.

I seldom ran into any of this stuff before 9/11; I've seen plenty of it
since.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old November 20th 05, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

So far it has not been a problem. People who rent airplanes or own
airplanes are not the type to do this sort of thing. Never been a case
of this anywhere that I have heard of. Why make a lot of rules when
there is not a problem?

Old November 20th 05, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Preaching to the choir. The challenge is convincing the non GA world.

"Paul Missman" wrote in message news:15b43$43809551

GA isn't a real threat, as everyone in GA knows.

Old November 20th 05, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

: Transients had to get an official to let them out. At Roanoke, the desk clerk
: had to let you out for many years before 9/11.

Roanoke really likes to pretend that they're a real airport.

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old November 21st 05, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Newps wrote:

Paul Missman wrote:

Frode,

At controlled airports in the US, the FBO desk clerk is going to find
out who you are before you are allowed onto the ramp.

Not at any airport I'm aware of. How would they do that?

Controlled meaning controlled access. I believe this applies for
airports with scheduled air carrier service using aircraft holding 30 or
more passengers. Generally, the FBOs at these airports have electronic
locks and alarms on the doors leading to the ramp, and the desk clerk
hits a button to open the lock and override the alarm. Unless you have
a security badge for that airport, you are supposed to be escorted any
time you are on the secure side of the fence (ie. on the ramp).

Specific examples? KPVD, KBOS, KBWI, KABE, KBDL are a few I've flown
into within the past several weeks that are this way (KPVD is my home base).

The biggest affect it has had on me is we can no longer bring a vehicle
onto the field to make loading/unloading easier. We used to be able to
bring a vehicle onto the field as long as we were escorted by the FBO.