Flying through known or forecast icing

Old December 16th 05, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Flying through known or forecast icing

Gary Drescher wrote:
"George Patterson" wrote in message

Matt Whiting wrote:

But isn't it the NTSB that usually makes the final determination on the
appeal?

Used to be that way. Congress added the possibility of an appeal to the
U.S. Appeals court some years ago.

George, I have a different understanding of the three branches' separation
of powers. Neither the administration nor the Congress has the
Constitutional authority to make a federal agency's decisions categorically
immune to judicial review. Congress may have formalized the appeal process
at some point, but I don't think it could have previously been the case that
NTSB decisions were exempt from all judicial appeal. The NTSB may formerly
have taken that position, but that didn't make it true. Was there ever a
case that an appeals court refused to hear on the grounds that NTSB
decisions were inherently unappealable?

It has been a long time since my high school American Government class,
but I thought that this only applied to constitional rights, not
so-called privileges. If your state pulls your driver's license, can
you really appeal that through the Federal court system?

Matt
Old December 16th 05, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
It has been a long time since my high school American Government class,
but I thought that this only applied to constitional rights, not so-called
privileges. If your state pulls your driver's license, can you really
appeal that through the Federal court system?

I suspect the (initial) appeal would be in state court rather than federal,
but there is certainly a judicial remedy if the denial of your license is
unreasonable. (The FAA, of course, is a federal agency, so no state courts
are involved.)

The so-called right vs. privilege distinction is beside the point, because
there is unquestionably a constitutional right to not have a privilege
unreasonably withheld. Your state could not, for example, deny you a
driver's license just because they don't like your race or religion. If they
tried, you could certainly get the courts to intervene.

--Gary

Old December 17th 05, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting

Gary Drescher wrote:

George, I have a different understanding of the three branches' separation
of powers. Neither the administration nor the Congress has the
Constitutional authority to make a federal agency's decisions categorically
immune to judicial review. Congress may have formalized the appeal process
at some point, but I don't think it could have previously been the case that
NTSB decisions were exempt from all judicial appeal. The NTSB may formerly
have taken that position, but that didn't make it true. Was there ever a
case that an appeals court refused to hear on the grounds that NTSB
decisions were inherently unappealable?

Absolutely. This lack of appeal to the judicial branch was a big bone of
contention for AOPA in the early 90s. The latest article I found recently in
AOPAs files describing this dates from 1994, so it was changed sometime after
that. A later Yodice (IIRC) article states that this was changed by decree of
Congress.

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
your slightly older self.
Old December 17th 05, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting

Gary Drescher wrote:
Was there ever a case that an appeals court refused to hear on the
grounds that NTSB decisions were inherently unappealable?

Absolutely.

Perhaps I'm mistaken then. Do you have a pointer to the case?

Thanks,
Gary

Old December 17th 05, 05:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting

Gary Drescher wrote:

Perhaps I'm mistaken then. Do you have a pointer to the case?

Cases. Not tonight. If you're in a hurry, search the AOPA site for "NTSB
appeal". Look for older articles.

Old December 17th 05, 01:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting

Gary Drescher wrote:

Perhaps I'm mistaken then. Do you have a pointer to the case?

Cases. Not tonight. If you're in a hurry, search the AOPA site for "NTSB
appeal". Look for older articles.

Sorry, I haven't been able to find any example of the sort I asked about
(namely, an appeals court refusing to hear a case on the grounds that NTSB
decisions were inherently unappealable). I'll wait until you have a chance
to provide a pointer.

Thanks,
Gary

Old December 20th 05, 08:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
. ..

This was updated, and re-emphasized in 2005. Read this:

http://www.aopa.org/members/files/pi...05/pc0508.html

In a case not noted in either source, the NTSB referred to pilot reports
as "anectodal evidence" and said that pilots had to rely on government
reports, period. This 2005 case gives pilot reports a little more slack.

For those of us who can't get to the linked article, if that refers to NTSB
opinions from 2005, would you cite the Order no.s please?

Thanks

Julian

Issues around de-ice on a 182 Andrew Gideon Piloting 87 September 27th 05 11:46 PM
Have you ever... Jay Honeck Piloting 229 May 6th 05 08:26 PM
Known Icing requirements Jeffrey Ross Owning 1 November 20th 04 03:01 AM
Wife agrees to go flying Corky Scott Piloting 29 October 2nd 03 06:55 PM