From Garmin 296 to 496

Old January 2nd 07, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cherokee

Default From Garmin 296 to 496

This is my 1st post, just found you guys today. I'm located in Central
Mississippi, flying PA-28-180. I'm interested in moving up to the new Garmin
496, I would appreciate any thoughts.

Old January 2nd 07, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Faster, color, better graphics, a lot more money.

Old January 2nd 07, 04:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cherokee

Jim Macklin wrote:
Faster, color, better graphics, a lot more money.

| This is my 1st post, just found you guys today. I'm located in Central
| Mississippi, flying PA-28-180. I'm interested in moving up to the new Garmin
| 496, I would appreciate any thoughts.

Jim, is there a better unit for the price anywhere.

Old January 2nd 07, 09:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

No... Not at this time anyway.

Old January 2nd 07, 11:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article 6baa0d908d584@uwe, "Cherokee" u30624@uwe wrote:

Jim Macklin wrote:
Faster, color, better graphics, a lot more money.

| This is my 1st post, just found you guys today. I'm located in Central
| Mississippi, flying PA-28-180. I'm interested in moving up to the new
| Garmin
| 496, I would appreciate any thoughts.

Jim, is there a better unit for the price anywhere.

What are your needs wrt handheld GPS?

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old January 2nd 07, 12:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"Cherokee" wrote:

This is my 1st post, just found you guys today. I'm located in Central
Mississippi, flying PA-28-180. I'm interested in moving up to the new
Garmin
496, I would appreciate any thoughts.

The 496 looks a lot like the unit you already have, but it is better in a
lot of ways. It has a synthetic instrument panel page, terrain/obstacle
page and airport diagrams. Best of all, it gives you all kinds of satellite
weather. Flying in thunderstorm country as you do, you will find this
makes it worth the price. Beware, though: there is a subscription cost for
the XM weather, plus database update costs for aviation, terrain and
airports.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old January 2nd 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

I agree with Dan's thoughts on the 496. From the 296, the big thing of
course is the XM weather in the 496. If you're an IFR pilot that flies
in weather even occasionally, I think it's worth it. Although, you may
want to look at purchasing a new or used 396 if that's all you need.
The big differences between the 396 and 496 a

1) faster processor and map updates (5 per second versus 1 per second)
2) Included auto kit
3) AOPA directory
4) SafeTaxi taxiway maps

If you think you will use/appreciate these differences, go for the 496.
Otherwise save the $600-$1,000 and go for a new/used 396.

Marco

Old January 3rd 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cherokee via AviationKB.com

Marco Leon wrote:
I agree with Dan's thoughts on the 496. From the 296, the big thing of
course is the XM weather in the 496. If you're an IFR pilot that flies
in weather even occasionally, I think it's worth it. Although, you may
want to look at purchasing a new or used 396 if that's all you need.
The big differences between the 396 and 496 a

1) faster processor and map updates (5 per second versus 1 per second)
2) Included auto kit
3) AOPA directory
4) SafeTaxi taxiway maps

If you think you will use/appreciate these differences, go for the 496.
Otherwise save the $600-$1,000 and go for a new/used 396.

I am Instrument pilot that does very little IFR due to having only the 296.
In our area, during this season you have to be very careful at night, so easy
to get into weather quickley.( even in the day )
I would enjoy the XM radio also.
I have been unable to pull up subscription price page thus far. I want to
make sure this is the most popular unit you guys are using. Just installed
new KT-76C or would consider the Garmin mode S trans. Traffic is no big
threat while in a PA-28-180.
Anyone have a web site I can look at prices for XM subscriptions.
Marco

Old January 3rd 07, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article 6bb46329f70ed@uwe,
"Cherokee via AviationKB.com" u30624@uwe wrote:
Anyone have a web site I can look at prices for XM subscriptions.

$29 and $49.
More charts with the $49 option.
Some people on this group pay the $49 for the months they do the most
flying, then drop back to the $29 rate for the months they fly less
(winter).
Old January 3rd 07, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Cherokee" u30624@uwe wrote in message news:6ba9d0fe741cb@uwe...
This is my 1st post, just found you guys today. I'm located in Central
Mississippi, flying PA-28-180. I'm interested in moving up to the new
Garmin
496, I would appreciate any thoughts.

Check your settings, and make sure you are posting using plain text for
newsgroups, instead of HTML.
--
Jim in NC