An Interview With Chuck Yeager

Old April 28th 07, 04:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Wayne Paul

Default An Interview With Chuck Yeager

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
k.net...

"Wayne Paul" wrote in message

You can't deny that the Japanese internment was based on race.

What was German and Italian internment based on?

Resident aliens?

A few questions for you:

What was the percentage of interned Italians and Germans were Resident
aliens, Nationalized U.S. Citizens, and Citizens Born in the USA?

My father spoke with a strong German accent and he was never questioned.
His grand parents immigrated and became citizens. If they would have come
from Japan instead of Germany we would have been interned.

If you can show me that the interned Germans and Italians had as high a
percentage of US Citizens as the Japanese, I will concede that it was not a
mater of race.

Wayne

http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

Old April 28th 07, 07:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
chuck

I can guarantee that He doesn't suffer fools. Take that for what it's worth.
Chuck
"Byron Covey" wrote in message
I have had several one-on-one conversations with him, and can report that
you are incorrect. He is not "sort of a prick." He is 100% prick.

As another poster noted, he gives no credit to anyone other than himself,
with the possible exception of recognizing Bob Hoover as a good test
pilot.

BJC

"Snidely" wrote in message
I stumbled across this recent interview of Chuck Yeager on a PBS station
in West Virginia.

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIeiMNjv0BQ
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0tku2b-Xms

Not a good one for Yeager. He comes off as being quite arrogant and not a
little condescending. I'd heard rumblings from time to time that he's
sort of a prick, but until now had not seen or heard anything concrete.

I think it is sad.

Old April 28th 07, 08:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Grumpy AuContraire[_2_]

Anno v. Heimburg wrote:

William R Thompson wrote:

"Jose" wrote:

Look! A PC idiot! The truth always draws them out. Probably loses sleep
that Hiroshima and Nagasaki were nuked, too.

Should I take it for granted
that you're a bigot who despises the Constitution, or
do I even need to ask that question? Never mind, you're
going into my killfile.

What? He made an on-topic. ironically funny remark supporting your point (at
least, that's how I took it). Or am I not getting you being
ironic/sarcastic?

Anno.

I think That Mr. Thompson's assumption was correct.

However, internment was a decision made during a difficult time and
right or wrong, it is way in the past.

What I really fear is just what action we will take when radical Islam
is attacking *our* infrastructure and very way of life. IOW, just what
will it take for us, (the West), to wake up and smell the brew???

JT
Old April 28th 07, 08:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Grumpy AuContraire[_2_]

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"Wayne Paul" wrote in message

You can't deny that the Japanese internment was based on race.

What was German and Italian internment based on?

I think that it is well documented that American POW(s) fared far worse
under Japanese oversight than that of either Germany or Italy. It's all
about culture, not race. Further reinforcement of this belief is the
plight of those that were held by the VC where survival was virtually
non-existent. Add to the mix North Korea and North Vietnam.

Guantanamo is probably a resort as compared to the above...

JT

Old April 28th 07, 11:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
George

JT, Just what do you mean by "when"

The brew already smells, they have just sent their "moderate" brethren
to try to conquer us by non violent means first. Their overall goal has
not changed since we first sent the Marines after them, they have merely
changed methods.

George
Old April 29th 07, 04:03 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Grumpy AuContraire[_2_]

George wrote:

JT, Just what do you mean by "when"

The brew already smells, they have just sent their "moderate" brethren
to try to conquer us by non violent means first. Their overall goal has
not changed since we first sent the Marines after them, they have merely
changed methods.

George

Probably the first dirty bomb on domestic territory...

JT

Old April 29th 07, 09:00 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mike Mackenzie

"Byron Covey" wrote (in part):

As another poster noted, he gives no credit to anyone other than himself,
with the possible exception of recognizing Bob Hoover as a good test pilot.

Now there's someone I really admire. Not only is he one of the
world's best pilots, but he's a really nice guy. We got him out to
one of our airshows at Archerfield (Brisbane) about ten years ago, and
he did his usual immaculate performances in both a Shrike Commander
and a Trojan. After the show, at the Aero Club, he was happy to talk
to and encourage anyone interested in aviation, and he autographed
just about anything.

And, of course, the girls loved him.

Mike

--
Mike Mackenzie (AVCOM Services)
Brisbane, AUSTRALIA
Old April 29th 07, 11:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Steven P. McNicoll

"Wayne Paul" wrote in message

Resident aliens?

No, American citizens of German and Italian descent.

A few questions for you:

What was the percentage of interned Italians and Germans were Resident
aliens, Nationalized U.S. Citizens, and Citizens Born in the USA?

I don't know.

My father spoke with a strong German accent and he was never questioned.
His grand parents immigrated and became citizens. If they would have come
from Japan instead of Germany we would have been interned.

If you can show me that the interned Germans and Italians had as high a
percentage of US Citizens as the Japanese, I will concede that it was not
a mater of race.

Why would that be relevant?

Old April 29th 07, 12:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Wayne Paul

"Wayne Paul" wrote in message

Resident aliens?

No, American citizens of German and Italian descent.

A few questions for you:

What was the percentage of interned Italians and Germans were Resident
aliens, Nationalized U.S. Citizens, and Citizens Born in the USA?

I don't know.

My father spoke with a strong German accent and he was never questioned.
His grand parents immigrated and became citizens. If they would have
come
from Japan instead of Germany we would have been interned.

If you can show me that the interned Germans and Italians had as high a
percentage of US Citizens as the Japanese, I will concede that it was not
a mater of race.

Why would that be relevant?

OK, let us change that comparison. What percentage of the Germans and
Italians interned were actual threats to the security of the war effort. If
that percentage is as low as the interned Japanese, I will concede that it
was not a mater of race.

All the west coast Japanese were interned, not just a segment of the
community. By the numbers you quoted earlier it is obvious that the
Government had a criteria for selecting specific Italians and specific
Germans for the camps. The criteria for the Japanese was simply being
Japanese.

I know the criteria for the Germans wasn't that broad, because none of my
family were interned nor was any other German family that we knew.

The paranoia and associated fear of the time is understandable; however,
after 60 years failing to recognize the injustice of our actions is
inexcusable.

Old April 29th 07, 01:25 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Steven P. McNicoll

"Wayne Paul" wrote in message

OK, let us change that comparison. What percentage of the Germans and
Italians interned were actual threats to the security of the war effort.
If that percentage is as low as the interned Japanese, I will concede that
it was not a mater of race.

I don't know, I imagine it's a rather low percentage.

All the west coast Japanese were interned, not just a segment of the
community. By the numbers you quoted earlier it is obvious that the
Government had a criteria for selecting specific Italians and specific
Germans for the camps. The criteria for the Japanese was simply being
Japanese.

What do you base that on?

I know the criteria for the Germans wasn't that broad, because none of my
family were interned nor was any other German family that we knew.

Is that the limit of your research? Why do you assume race was the only
issue? Could geography have been an issue? What percentage of
Japanese-Americans were concentrated in more defense sensitive areas like
the west coast versus less sensitive areas like Milwaukee? Could time or
history have been issues? German immigration began before the US
revolution, and Germans served in the Comntinental Army. Japanese
immigration to the US was more recent.

The paranoia and associated fear of the time is understandable; however,
after 60 years failing to recognize the injustice of our actions is
inexcusable.

But we have recognized the injustice done to Japanese-Americans. We haven't
recognized the injustice done to German-Americans. Most Americans aren't
even aware that US citizens of German descent were interned during WWII.
The fact that it was done in fewer numbers than with Japanese-Americans
makes it no less of an injustice to those that were interned.