Flying into Las Vegas

Old December 9th 03, 05:03 AM
BTIZ

all sounds like an excellent plan... the distance around the airport..
you'll need a courtesy shuttle or a cheap cab ride..

Short Trip from Steerage to LAS, just start talking early to the Nellis
Controllers for Class B clearances.. hard to tell if they'll take you east
or west of Nellis, but the standard IFR arrival from StGeorge/Mesquite would
be east.

Hope the weather serves..

Bill

"Casey Wilson" wrote in message

"BTIZ" wrote in message
any reason why it has to be LAS? and not HND or VGT?

where are you coming in from...

be prepared to pay a bit more in fuel at LAS rather than VGT or HND..

the
two "FOBs" on the field cater more to "higher type aircraft" but there

are
all types around.. Most prefer Eagle on the north end, and it is walking
distance to the MGM Grand..

My passenger is an unescorted young person flying into LAS from NoCal.
He's a smart kid and I think explicit instructions for moving about on
airport shuttles is reasonable but I share the parent's concern about
transfer from LAS to either VGT or HND.
I'll be flying down from St. George, Utah, KSGU, with my grandson for
the pickup. It looks like an easy flight. Mr. Dighera's notes look pretty
good to me.
I'll be calling the Executive Terminal tomorrow to find out about
shuttle's. I intend to ask them a favor and maybe run over to the terminal
and pick the lad up. It will probably work out that we'll have him hang

out
at the terminal. We'll park the airplane at Exec and go over and get him
ourselves. My 'wet' rental is good for $3.75/gal, so buying gas isn't a

big
deal -- although I don't think I'll burn ten gallons.
I guess one of the motivations for making the run is because my

grandson
asked me if he could go along -- how can you turn that down -- especially
when his mother is the one that suggested it.
Now if the weather will just cooperate......

Thanks all for the replies,

Casey

Old December 9th 03, 05:10 AM
BTIZ

sorry.. the spell checker corrected StGeorge to Steerage...

so you now live in Steerage UT..

BT

Old December 9th 03, 10:13 AM
Jeff

St George is a short hop, easy flight, I do it all the time, they have a great
restaurant there. Really good view.
My wife is wanting to look at some land (5 acre plots) about 5 miles outside of
St george between there and cedar city

Overton is where I usually call LAS to let them know where I am and where I am
going. If you have problems getting in touch with LAS you can call Nellis AFB
and they will clear you into the LAS class B

Old December 9th 03, 10:23 AM
Jeff

There are no VFR corridors through the LAS class B, there are two VFR arrivals and
departures, but no VFR corridors.

They have never put me out over the lake except one time when I was coming into VGT
from phoenix on an IFR flight plan, when comming in from st george I call them from
overton, the easiest and fastest thing would be for them to give him a right base
for 25 since he will already be lined up for it instead of putting him out over
boulder city or the lake where he will be holding up the big guys.

Martin Hotze wrote:

"Casey Wilson" wrote:

I'll be flying down from St. George, Utah, KSGU, with my grandson for
the pickup. It looks like an easy flight.

it shouldn't be much of a problem coming down from St. George, weather
permitting. just drop in over the lake and follow the VR corridors in the Class
B airspace of LAS.

#m
--
Politician never lie. They just tell their own truth.
(Dave in r.a.p.)

Old December 9th 03, 01:57 PM
Thomas Borchert

Martin,

why would you want to do the detour over the lake? Just go slightly
east of Fallon's airspace.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old December 9th 03, 03:59 PM
Casey Wilson

"BTIZ" wrote in message
sorry.. the spell checker corrected StGeorge to Steerage...

so you now live in Steerage UT..

Akshully, I'm in Ridgecrest, CA, and fly out of Edwards, AFB
(Edwards Aeroclub). I'll be in Steerage for the Christmas Holidays, myself.