DUI's and flying?

Old November 28th 03, 10:12 PM
Part86

Default DUI's and flying?

I have no flight experience, but I'd like to persue some kind of career as a
pilot. My problem is that I have two DUI's and I don't know how that effects my
opportunities. Does anyone have any knowledge on this subject? I'm 23 years old
and I don't neccessarily have to be a commercial pilot, but I'd like to fly.
Thanks
Old November 28th 03, 10:25 PM
BTIZ

two strikes against you in a three strikes your out world..

you can fly.. you have to stay stone sober clean...

obviously you have shown that you have no control when drinking..

hopefully these are far into the past.. but at 23.. only two years of legal
aged drinking and two DUIs.. do not hold much promise..

it's hard to say either way.. the only way to tell is to try and get a Class
III student medical certificate.. and make sure you list your past
convictions... it's better you fess up.. then for them to find it later on
their own..

BT

Old November 28th 03, 11:00 PM
Jay Honeck

My problem is that I have two DUI's and I don't know how that effects my
opportunities. Does anyone have any knowledge on this subject? I'm 23

years old
and I don't neccessarily have to be a commercial pilot, but I'd like to

fly.

If you are still a practicing alcoholic, the answer is "no".

However, even if you're now sober, I suspect you'll have a hard time getting
your 3rd Class Medical approved.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 28th 03, 11:29 PM
Rob Perkins

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 23:00:36 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

If you are still a practicing alcoholic, the answer is "no".

However, even if you're now sober, I suspect you'll have a hard time getting
your 3rd Class Medical approved.

What do you suppose will happen if they ever change the health rules
for Private privileges to "driver's license" medicals?

Rob
Old November 29th 03, 12:16 AM
Matthew P. Cummings

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 23:29:35 +0000, Rob Perkins wrote:

What do you suppose will happen if they ever change the health rules
for Private privileges to "driver's license" medicals?

We'll have a bunch of drunks with a ticker about to expire flying?

Old November 29th 03, 03:31 AM
tony roberts

I have no flight experience, but I'd like to persue some kind of career as a
pilot. My problem is that I have two DUI's and I don't know how that effects
my opportunities.

You "may" get the medical, and then the training, and pass the exams.
Now you have invested many thousands of dollars but don't have a job.
For every low time pilot job vacancy there are LOTS of suitable and well
qualified candidates.
If you were in charge of recruitment, would you hire someone with 2
DUI's? That is whatyou need to consider before you invest the bucks.

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

Old November 29th 03, 04:25 AM
Richard Hertz

Nice. He says he has two DUIs and you label him as an alcoholic.
("practicing" or not)

You can "self certify" yourself if you want to fly gliders if you are unable
to get a medical or if the FAA won't grant the certificate.

(I am assuming "he")

newssQxb.341166$Tr4.1030000@attbi_s03...

Old November 29th 03, 05:12 AM
JSF

Actually the airlines have quite a number of alcoholic piltos...American
sent their problem drinkers to Hazleton Minnesota to a treatment center for
years and may still do so...
As to what this aspiring pilot can expect a lot depends on the timing of
the DUI's...If it's been a number of years ago that would work in his
favor...If it was 2 episodes close together at age 21 (or before) and he's
been sober since, that would be favorable togetting a medical
certificate....He should go the medical aviation examiner, complete the form
and DON'T LIE ! The examiner will take all the data and likely defer the
issuance to the FAA.
They will review it - it would expedite their handling of it if he has a
consulatation report from a alcohol/drug abuse counselor showing his
temperance and also participation in a 12 step or other "after-care"
program. If however there are ongoing issues, it would be more of a problem
in getting a medical certificate!
Anyone with a medical who gets convicted of DUI must notify the FAA as
well.
As for jobs - yes, the airlines and others are choosing from pools of
applicants...any blemish makes it more difficult...but entry level jobs-
cargo dogs, flight instructors, smaller corporate flight departments are
more commonly filled by personal recommendations and frequently
who-do-you-know and how well do they know you...so starting small, busting
your hump and staying sober will go a long way....eventaually as he has
hours and experience time will have passed... and his driving record may
have been cleanesed...can be done in some states after a period of
years...or governor's clemency (read political donation!) ...anyway, the
airlines generally only ask if you've had a DUI in the past X number of
years..generally 5 - 10...some sin committed in his youth and not repeated
in past 5 - 10 years may not be considered real relevant.
I know of someone who had 3 DUI's in his youth - saw the light, and now is
a first officer for a major carrier...it can happen - but it isn't easy!!