FlarmNet

Old July 2nd 12, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Default FlarmNet

Am I correct in that until PowerFlarm enables the flight logging
function, all the information that is available by registering with
FlarmNet is now not available?

Brad
Old July 3rd 12, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Brad,

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm pretty sure that the FLARMNet support is
already working in the PowerFLARM. It has nothing to do with flight
recording. Just register with FLARMNet and download the latest FLARMNet
file onto a memory card and it should be copied into the PowerFLARM at
power-up.

Do you have a PowerFLARM Portable or Brick? With the Brick, I believe the
FLARMNet support is in the display.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

Old August 15th 12, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Jul 2, 5:13*pm, "Paul Remde" wrote:
Hi Brad,

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm pretty sure that theFLARMNetsupport is
already working in the PowerFLARM. *It has nothing to do with flight
recording. *Just register withFLARMNetand download the latestFLARMNet
file onto a memory card and it should be copied into the PowerFLARM at
power-up.

Any more information on this?

My PowerFLARM brick does not read file flarmnet.bnf at power up.

The Butterfly display manual indicates that display software updates
through any Butterfly unit will be enabled Q4 2012. That suggests to
me that the ability to pass file data from the USB device, through the
brick, to the display is not yet enabled.

GY
Old August 15th 12, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Wednesday, August 15, 2012 7:20:43 AM UTC-7, Andy wrote:
On Jul 2, 5:13*pm, "Paul Remde" wrote:

Hi Brad,

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm pretty sure that theFLARMNetsupport is

already working in the PowerFLARM. *It has nothing to do with flight

recording. *Just register withFLARMNetand download the latestFLARMNet

file onto a memory card and it should be copied into the PowerFLARM at

power-up.

Any more information on this?

My PowerFLARM brick does not read file flarmnet.bnf at power up.

The Butterfly display manual indicates that display software updates

through any Butterfly unit will be enabled Q4 2012. That suggests to

me that the ability to pass file data from the USB device, through the

brick, to the display is not yet enabled.

GY

Perhaps it is possible to upload the flarmnet file to the butterfly display by connecting the display directly to a computer? Did anyone done so successfully, and if so, how?

Ramy
Old August 16th 12, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Aug 15, 10:17*am, Ramy wrote:

Perhaps it is possible to upload the flarmnet file to the butterfly display by connecting the display directly to a computer? Did anyone done so successfully, and if so, how?

The Butterfly display FLARMnet software updater, and the FLARMnet file
are available he

http://www.butterfly-avionics.com/in...upport-english

I have not tried to run it yet so if anyone beats me to it please let
us all know how it works out. (The GUI is in German). It will
require a custom cable and 3.3v psu. The pinout is in the Butterfly
display manual. It should be possible to supply the power from the
brick and break out the serial interface to the PC.

Updating directly from the brick would be easier.

GY

Old August 16th 12, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Thursday, August 16, 2012 7:46:04 AM UTC-7, Andy wrote:
On Aug 15, 10:17*am, Ramy wrote:

Perhaps it is possible to upload the flarmnet file to the butterfly display by connecting the display directly to a computer? Did anyone done so successfully, and if so, how?

The Butterfly display FLARMnet software updater, and the FLARMnet file

are available he

http://www.butterfly-avionics.com/in...upport-english

I have not tried to run it yet so if anyone beats me to it please let

us all know how it works out. (The GUI is in German). It will

require a custom cable and 3.3v psu. The pinout is in the Butterfly

display manual. It should be possible to supply the power from the

brick and break out the serial interface to the PC.

Updating directly from the brick would be easier.

GY

Just to clarify to others , updating the display will not make your call sign visible to others, but will make other flarmnet registered devices visible to you. To be visible to others, you need to register in the flarmnet web site by following the steps below (to the best of my knowledge):

1 - you first need to get your ICAO ID which is available online at http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...m_Inquiry.aspx
2 - Convert it to Hex using the conversion tool at http://www.kloth.net/radio/icao24lookup.php
3 - Enter your Hex ICAO ID to your config file e.g.
$pflac,s,id,FFFFFF
4 - Register your converted ICAO ID on flarmnet as your Radio ID
http://www.flarmnet.org/content/inde...pper&Itemid=33
5 - Download the latest file from
http://www.flarmnet.org/content/inde...23&Itemi d=26
and upload to your Flight Computer/PDA if it supports flarm, as well as your butterfly display.

Ramy
Old August 26th 12, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Using the Butterfly supplied software and a custom cable I was able to load a FLARMNet file to my Butterfly display. The following instruction may help but use at your own risk.

- Make the cable using the pin information in the Butterfly display user guide. (All you need is TX, RX, ground, and 3.3v power source)
- Configure the PC port to 19,200 8,N,1
- Start the updater software
- Select the com port
- Browse to the flarmnet file and select it
- Select start update
- When prompted connect the Butterfly display with the select knob depressed
- Release the select knob
- Confirm display is in update mode and loading ("waiting" is displayed if upload is not started)
- Updater progress bar indicates upload progress (changes from looping display to linear increasing display)
- Butterfly updater exits and display reverts to normal start-up screen when upload is complete.

If Butterfly display remains in update mode and "waiting" either the cable is not correct, the port configuration is not correct, or you confused it in some other way.

Exit of the updater without an error message appears to indicate the upload was successful. However, the Flarmnet file is not listed in the startup configuration data.

Various error message may be displayed if the upload is not successful.

Andy GY