My ISP has been "blacklisted"!

Old December 6th 03, 12:31 AM
Montblack

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
snip
(As an aside, I am SO sick of technology not working, I'm about ready to
chuck it all in the lake. EVERYTHING, from corporate phone mail, to "tech
support", to cell phones, to email, to search engines DO NOT WORK reliably
or properly, period. Now I can't send email, because some 19-year-old
computer goober set a parameter wrong at my ISP! What next?)

I had to pull Jack Allison out of my ISP's spam filter site (Postini). His
e-mail was languishing in there for almost a week. It was pure accident that
I noticed his Intel (work) address one night, while I was deleting entire
blocks of "crud" from the quarantined message center.

("Nobody says crud anymore" - funny line from a recent cop show on TV).

We get about 300 spams per week. Those e-mails now get caught by our ISP's
spam-filter net. Like I told Jack, sometimes the tuna nets inadvertently
catch a dolphin or two.

I wonder how many other e-mails have been sent our way, only to be
"block-deleted" (by me!!) at our ISP's server?

Come to think of it Jay, you had to *Ping Montblack* a couple of months ago,
because our ISP filter blocked your address when you were trying to contact
us.

--
Montblack
http://lumma.de/mt/archives/bart.gif

Old December 6th 03, 01:37 AM
Matthew P. Cummings

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 16:39:13 +0000, Teacherjh wrote:

was ok in the early days of the internet, but not since the two lawyers started
their spam campaign)

Those 2 lawyers are Canter and Siegal. They started the Usenet spam, not
email spam. That was Sandford Wallace. He went to work for Earthlink, I
don't know if he's still there.

In any event, those services do prevent spam, and I think that yes some
accidentally get blocked but it's easy to get them unblocked as well,
certainly I've never known it to take 10 days.

Old December 6th 03, 01:45 AM
Matthew P. Cummings

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 16:14:01 +0000, rip wrote:

Kind of like having the Post Office read your mail before you get it,
just to make sure it's really something you need to see! I'll filter my
own spam, thank you very much!

Do you like filtering 300 - 400 spams a day out of your maybe 100 legit emails a day
list? I don't.

I do filter my own email using software here that places email spam
into spam mailboxs, and in the last 50,000 spams only misidentified 1 email
as spam when it wasn't. That is only a 6 month time frame for me. Yes, I
keep spams until I hit 5,000 and delete them, I use it for my filter
training.

Many people have absolutely no clue as to how bad spam really truely is,
it's a HUGE drain on resources and I support any efforts to get rid of the
clogs.

Old December 6th 03, 02:21 AM
Bob Fry

"Jay Honeck" writes:

What next?

- Robotic aircraft flying around US airspace---it's YOUR
responsibility to see and avoid.

- Robotic aircraft flying around foreign airspace launching missles at
the hand of a 19-year old kid back in Florida. Who cares if he
makes a mistakes, they're all gooks anyway, right?

-Nanotechnology gone awry. Oops, shoulda tested that one a little
more thoroughly...it goes berserker inside people with too much/not
enough hormones/white cells/red cells/whatever

etc.
Old December 6th 03, 03:15 AM
Bob Noel

In article . net,
"Matthew P. Cummings" wrote:

Many people have absolutely no clue as to how bad spam really truely is,

and way too many of them are supposed to be running email servers.

:-(

--
Bob Noel
Old December 6th 03, 03:19 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Matthew P. Cummings" said:
Many people have absolutely no clue as to how bad spam really truely is,

I get 2,000 spams a day (and rising rapidly), not counting the Microsoft
executables that are deleted before the spam filter sees them.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Disclaimer: "These opinions are my own, though for a small fee they can be
Old December 6th 03, 03:26 AM
Teacherjh

Those 2 lawyers are Canter and Siegal. They started the Usenet spam, not
email spam. That was Sandford Wallace.

The cat was out of the bag. Spam works. It was only a matter of time. The
lawyers get the blame.

Jose

Old December 6th 03, 03:26 AM
John Harlow

(As an aside, I am SO sick of technology not working, I'm about ready to
chuck it all in the lake.

That in itself would solve half of r.a.p. newsserver storage requirements

Old December 6th 03, 04:02 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Jay Honeck" said:
(As an aside, I am SO sick of technology not working, I'm about ready to
chuck it all in the lake.

That in itself would solve half of r.a.p. newsserver storage requirements

Luckily, storage capacity growth continues to outstrip demand! :-)

One could say, so does your posting. :-)

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"Oh my G'Quan, they killed Koshi!" - Citizen G'kyle, Babylon Park