My ISP has been "blacklisted"!

Old December 6th 03, 04:02 AM
Jay Honeck

(As an aside, I am SO sick of technology not working, I'm about ready to
chuck it all in the lake.

That in itself would solve half of r.a.p. newsserver storage requirements

Luckily, storage capacity growth continues to outstrip demand! :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 6th 03, 04:51 AM
Peter Duniho

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...
Remember that spammers exist because someone is buying. That tells us the
best way to kill them off: get people to stop buying from spammers.

Unfortunately, since there's practically no scaling cost associated with
sending bulk email, you'd have to eliminate EVERY single spam response to
get rid of it. When their response rate goes down, they just send more
email.

The social solution is a key element, to be sure. But there's always some
sucker out there willing to respond to spam. Stiff laws against the kind of
tactics spammers use are needed, they need to be enforced, and they need to
be passed everywhere, or at least enough places that ISPs can block email
from places known to harbor spammers while still allowing 99% of the users
to receive all of their email from all of their associates.

It's not advertising per se that's the problem. It's the fact that the bulk
of the advertising is being sent by people who don't care whether you are
likely to reply or not, who know that they would get in trouble if they were
found out, and who take steps to cover their tracks. Their anonymity
prevents them from acting responsibly in the (currently) wide-open Internet.

Of course, one day, we'll have an Internet where there's no such thing as
unauthenticated transmissions, and at that point, it will be much easier to
tackle problems like this. Until that day, I agree with you that people
need to stop replying to spam, while I disagree that doing so is the "best
way" to fight spam. Even more, we need to be aggressive about not
permitting the general behavior of spammers in the first place.

Pete

Old December 6th 03, 06:38 AM
R. Hubbell

This looks way off-topic for rec.aviation.piloting. It seems more appropriate
for another heirarchy all together or at least rec.a.misc.

Out of curiosity why do you think it is topical for this group?

R. Hubbell

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 15:01:17 GMT "Jay Honeck" wrote:

Many of my emails in response to those of you who have sent me pictures for
the new Rec.Aviation website have been "bouncing back".

When it became obvious that it was NOT "everyone else's" problem, I
contacted Mediacom to inquire about the service. Here is their reply --
anyone care to translate? (What the heck is MAPS and RBL, and why is
MEDIACOM the one that is "blacklisted"?):

Dear Jay,
We have found out that Domains that use the same e-mails servers as
Mediacom, but do not use the same precautions as Mediacom, have been
identified as spammers. Because of this, all other Domains that use MAPS
and RBL to check the validity of our mailserver, have us Blacklisted.

Mediacom has been assured that our mail server will be removed from these
blacklist no later then the first of the week, however it may take up to
another 10 days for all these different domains to update their list and
allow mail to be received into their domain from mchsi.com.

It is advised for all customers to have an updated anti-virus program, and
check their system for Trojans (applet progams sending/receiving
data/e-mail; unsuspecting to user), and possibly a firewall to detect this
traffic.

Also, alot of mailservers are halting all mail to see if it is spam, a
virus, or a suspicious file; thus the delivery or rejection notice could
take up to 3 days for Domains protecting their service.

Randy Jackson

Internet Support Representative
Mediacom Online
(877) 387-8087
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 6th 03, 11:26 AM
Martin Hotze

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 21:19:51 GMT, Jay Honeck wrote:

Heck, do you put all your unanswered questions on r.a.p?
What about Google? Just put on or more of the terms in the search field.

Well, Martin, this problem is primarily impacting those who have chosen to
send me pictures of their aircraft, for inclusion on our Rec.Aviation photo

I saw your announcment on r.a.owning

page, http://www.alexisparkinn.com/rec_aviation.htm . (I haven't seen YOUR
airplane yet -- what's up with that?)

well, I run a small ISP, I can't afford a plane.

Since I have not been able to contact
them directly, due to this ISP insanity, I posted it here.

might be better to do it n r.a.owning - as you announced it there?

Thus, it seemed appropriate to announce the problem here. While I was at
it, I got a few questions answered.

(As an aside, I am SO sick of technology not working, I'm about ready to
chuck it all in the lake. EVERYTHING, from corporate phone mail, to "tech
support", to cell phones, to email, to search engines DO NOT WORK reliably

most of the time it is: PEBKAC.

or properly, period. Now I can't send email, because some 19-year-old
computer goober set a parameter wrong at my ISP! What next?)

you can't get online on your hangar to download the latest anti-crash
service pack from M$-flight-security for your flight to a brunch to meet
some folks talking to you about religion. *hehe*

#m

--
http://www.declareyourself.com/fyr_candidates.php
http://www.subterrane.com/bush.shtml
Old December 6th 03, 11:27 AM
Martin Hotze

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 18:31:16 -0600, Montblack wrote:

I wonder how many other e-mails have been sent our way, only to be
"block-deleted" (by me!!) at our ISP's server?

set a whitelist.

#m

Old December 6th 03, 11:28 AM
Martin Hotze

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 22:26:51 -0500, John Harlow wrote:

(As an aside, I am SO sick of technology not working, I'm about ready to
chuck it all in the lake.

That in itself would solve half of r.a.p. newsserver storage requirements

*ROTFL*

good one.

#m

Old December 6th 03, 04:09 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Paul Tomblin wrote:

I get 2,000 spams a day (and rising rapidly), not counting the Microsoft
executables that are deleted before the spam filter sees them.

Wow! I'm only getting about 1% of that.

George Patterson
Some people think they hear a call to the priesthood when what they really
hear is a tiny voice whispering "It's indoor work with no heavy lifting".
Old December 6th 03, 05:21 PM
Model Flyer

"Michael 182" wrote in message
newsG1Ab.308083$9E1.1549075@attbi_s52...

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
Think of them as
the Donald Rumsfelds of spam prevention.

Good line. Ashcroft may have been better, but still, got me

laughing this
morning...

Don't think they have to be that extreem to ensure that no sam's get
fired as passing messages.:-)
--
---
Cheers,

Michael

Old December 6th 03, 05:44 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "G.R. Patterson III" said:
Paul Tomblin wrote:

I get 2,000 spams a day (and rising rapidly), not counting the Microsoft
executables that are deleted before the spam filter sees them.

Wow! I'm only getting about 1% of that.

Several reasons for that:
1. I've got several domains registered in my name and email address
2. I've got my email address on a bunch of web sites
3. My email is quoted in several Usenet group's FAQs
4. I've had the same email address since 1996, and the email I had before
that is still forwarded to this one.
5. I've also got several "functional" email addresses (news@, webmaster@,
postmaster@) that are forwarded to this one.
6. I post to Usenet far more than I should. I checked recently and Google
had about 10,000 posts from me just at this email address. (do the math -
10,000 posts since 1996, that means about 1500 posts a year, or 4 a day)
7. I've posted to mailing lists that are archived on the web, further
increasing my visibility and vulnerability.

BTW: I get a ton of spam sent to an address that has ONLY been used to
register a domain, not anything else. Unfortunately it's a requirement to
give a real address for registering a domain, so I can't just drop the
whole thing.

I also put a non-existant email address in a comment field on the
http://xcski.com/ web site. It has never been a valid address, nor has it
ever been mentioned on Usenet or in email, and I see spam bouncing off of
it every day. If I knew how, I'd set up something to automatically
blacklist any sender using that address.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
I stayed up all night playing poker with tarot cards. I got a full
Old December 6th 03, 06:17 PM
Martin Hotze

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 17:44:56 +0000 (UTC), Paul Tomblin wrote:

I also put a non-existant email address in a comment field on the
http://xcski.com/ web site. It has never been a valid address, nor has it
ever been mentioned on Usenet or in email, and I see spam bouncing off of
it every day. If I knew how, I'd set up something to automatically
blacklist any sender using that address.

do a search on "honeypot", this might bring you in the right direction.

#m