IR checkrides

Old December 7th 03, 02:10 PM
Lynn Melrose

Larry Fransson wrote:

On 2003-12-06 15:18:19 -0800, "Phil McAverty" said:

Just wondering whether IR checkrides can be carried out in real IMC.

Unless something has changed recently, yes they can. But in general,
it's probably not going to happen.

A friend of mine used to be an examiner. She told me that examiners
are officially encouraged not to give checkrides in IMC. She went against
that advice and an applicant show her just how messed up he could get.
She decided not to do checkrides in IMC after that.

Unless the aircraft has dual attitude indicators, etc., this doesn't appear to
be a bright thing to do, even if the FAA permits it.

Old December 7th 03, 02:19 PM
Lynn Melrose

Lynn Melrose wrote:

Where is Class A airspace used in the UK? In the US, it is only 18,000+ ft MSL,
but I understand that it is used differently in other jurisdictions.

Let me rephrase that, it is only 18,000ft - FL600 over most of the US. There are
exceptions.

Old December 7th 03, 03:21 PM
Richard Hertz

What difference will dual attitude indicators make?

Old December 7th 03, 04:04 PM
Lynn Melrose

On 2003-12-06 15:18:19 -0800, "Phil McAverty"

said:

Just wondering whether IR checkrides can be carried out in real IMC.

Unless something has changed recently, yes they can. But in general,
it's probably not going to happen.

A friend of mine used to be an examiner. She told me that examiners
are officially encouraged not to give checkrides in IMC. She went

against
that advice and an applicant show her just how messed up he could get.
She decided not to do checkrides in IMC after that.

Unless the aircraft has dual attitude indicators, etc., this doesn't

appear to
be a bright thing to do, even if the FAA permits it.

For simulated instrument failures.

Old December 7th 03, 05:04 PM
Richard Hertz

Why do you need two? You can simulate the failure with just one.
Presumably the candidate AND the DE know how to fly with no AI.

My instructor was a DE for a while - he would try to do practical in actual.
If ATC said something about a deviation the candidate failed. Typically
though most of the folks taking a checkride with him never got past the
oral.

Old December 7th 03, 07:36 PM
Phil McAverty

"Lynn Melrose" wrote in message
Phil McAverty wrote:

That seems to be the best reason of all for doing checkrides in IMC.

Seems
to be a dumb policy to do a checkride in VMC and then letting them go

off
into IMC.

In the USA, there are many places that rarely if ever ever see IMC. Such

policy would prohibit check rides there.

The irony is that a FAA/IR will qualify for a UK IMC rating with only
limited privileges in controlled airspace (class D only). The FAA/IR

pilot
can file IFR and fly in class A in the UK if the aircraft is US

registered
but not if the aircraft is UK registered.

Where is Class A airspace used in the UK? In the US, it is only 18,000+

ft MSL,
but I understand that it is used differently in other jurisdictions.

Class A is used like they use Class B from the surface around major airports
like London Heathrow & Gatwick, Manchester, reaching up and out into the
airways. You can encounter Class A airways at FL55.

Mind you there are pockets of class G going up to 24500ft

Old December 8th 03, 01:08 AM
CriticalMass

"Jeffrey Voight" wrote in message
That would be the state of nirvana.
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Not to worry, Jeff. It's a goofy question.

Old December 8th 03, 06:08 PM
David Brooks

"Phil McAverty" wrote in message
Just wondering whether IR checkrides can be carried out in real IMC.

Mine was.

To address some of the other points made in this thread:

1) We found some VMC to do the maneuvers. IMC can be patchy, after all. We
canceled IFR at the end of the last approach and switched to Special VFR to
get to the clearer air (which was 600ft lower in elevation than the
airfield. The alternative was a discontinuance; I would have been fine with
that because I could have done the maneuvers later while fresh.

2) It would have been nice to be able to lift the Jeppshades while we were
in the clouds, but unfortunately I had snapped the hinge just before getting
on the runway and they wouldn't stay up! For many people, flying in and out
of clouds is more of a workload than staying simulated anyway.

3) The argument that the candidate can't be PIC because it's IMC is a
curious one. You can't be PIC for IFR in VMC either. Do most people really
do the approaches and holds under VFR? How does the examiner test your
ability to handle ATC; you aren't guaranteed service if you ask for VFR
handling.

A checkride passed in IMC must be a big confidence booster.

Well, it was, but the deck was stacked in enough other ways (faulty
Jeppshades, weird windshifts, and the VOR was OTS for example) that it was a
case of "if I can survive that, I can survive most IMC".

-- David Brooks

Old December 9th 03, 01:36 AM
S Narayan

"David Reinhart" wrote in message
No, they have to be done in VFR.

Not necessarily true. Mine was done part in IMC part over the cloud deck
(unusual attitudes etc). I think we cancelled IFR once over the top. This
was in the SF Bay area (the checkride took part for the most part over the
central valley which was fog bound).

My VOR approach was in total IMC with a true missed.

There's several reasons for this. One of them is that some of the tasks
required (like unsual attitudes) would require a block altitude clearance

and
clearance to deviate from an assigned heading. Obviously in busy terminal
airspace that could be difficult to do.

On the legal side, the FAA requires the inspector or DE to make it clear

to the
applicant that he or she is the pilot in command, not the person giving

the
checkride. That being the case, since the applicant is not instrument

rated he
or she can not act as PIC of an aircraft operating under IFR.

Dave Reinhart

Phil McAverty wrote:

Just wondering whether IR checkrides can be carried out in real IMC.

Not being from the US, some States must have far worse weather than

others
and so I kinda assume that if its IMC weather on the day of the

checkride
then its done in IMC.

I must admit that I wanted to have a checkride then doing it in IMC

would be
my preference. For a start it would be more comfortable than wearing a

hood
and be distracted by the effort of trying not to look. It might also

give
the examiner something more to concentrate on too.

A checkride passed in IMC must be a big confidence booster.

Phil

Old December 9th 03, 03:51 AM
David Reinhart

To address 3).

Most of the approaches and holds I've done for my IFR ticket have been done
under VFR. I'll call up approach control, request an approach, get vectors,
etc., and they will issue clearances with the restriction to "maintain VFR".
Under VFR I always get an "alternate" missed approach procedure. I don't know
about other areas, but around here you have to request and get approval to fly
the published missed approach procedure under VFR.

During a practical test, I don't think you actually have to contact ATC at all.
The examiner can give you a "simulated" clearance, for example. Your ability to
handle ATC is documented by your long cross-country which must be flown under
IFR and your instructor's sign-off that you're ready to take the test.

In many situations, of course, you'll have to deal with ATC for approaches even
in VFR, but out here it is possible to fly ILS/LOC (KEEN), VOR (KEEN, KORE,
KGDM), and NDB (KFIT, KORE) approaches under VFR at uncontrolled airports and
never have to say a word to ATC. Without vectors you'd have to fly the full
approach, but what the heck.

As others have pointed out, in some parts of the country (Florida and the
Southwest) it's actually very difficult to fly actual IFR. The High Desert of
California where I grew up has VFR weather 350+ days a year. It's completely
possible for a pilot to go through an entire IFR course and never fly in actual
IMC.

I don't know about you, but I was always told, when filing IFR during training,
to use the my instructor's name as PIC. Just like your first solo, you're
"flying on his ticket" and any screwups you make come back to haunt him. During
the check, the DE isn't going tell you (on purpose anyway) to do anything
illegal, but neither does he have to be willing to put his ticket on the block.
I don't even know that it's necessary for a DE to be a current CFII.

Dave Reinhart