A Pilot Gives Thanks

Old February 2nd 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
A Guy Called Tyketto

Default A Pilot Gives Thanks

Old February 2nd 07, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
A Guy Called Tyketto

And here's that transcript.

Third Annual Archie League Medal of Safety:
Great Lakes Region Audio Transcript

Champaign, Ill. ATCT (CMI) Archie League Award Winner
Audio Transcript

Controllers: David Murphy and Yasemin Parker

Pilot: Willard Nickisch (N8048Q)

September 13, 2006

Time: 5.45

WILLARD NICKISCH, PILOT: I've got an autopilot that won.t release and
it wants to pull me down into a dive.

NICKISCH: I don't know if I can find the approach. It is taking all of
my muscles to just hold back on this thing.. OK, let's go for you ..
You're going to have to radar vector me and give me some frequencies..
OK, uh, one-eight-zero and I'm above the deck so I'd like to stay up as
long as I can, but .. uh .. uh .. uh .. OK .. yeah, 1-8-0.

MURPHY: November 8048Quebec, this is Champaign Approach. How do you
hear me, sir?

NICKISCH: I hear you sir.

MURPHY: November 48Quebec, I'm going to vector you to an approach to
Runway 32 Right. Are you capable of flying an NDB or a GPS approach,
sir?

NICKISCH: If I didn't have to fight the autopilot I would, but no I
can't at this time. I want to try the ILS.

MURPHY: 48Quebec. What I'm going to do is I'm going to provide a radar
surveillance approach for you to Runway 32 Right. I'll provide all the
vectors and I'll give you recommended altitudes on final. All you'll
have to do is fly the airplane. Do you have any difficulty other than
the autopilot?

NICKISCH: No, but it's a handful.

MURPHY: Yes, sir, I'm aware of that. I just want to make sure what else
to maybe be prepared for. Just stay at your present altitude or
whatever altitude you need to stay a VMC until we get you set up on
final. I won't bring you down into the clouds until we have you lined
up with the runway. I'll take you out to about 10 miles, make a 12-mile
final.

NICKISCH: OK, make it as short as you can.

MURPHY: OK, I can make it shorter but I'm going to have to have you
start descending. You're right now only five miles from the airport.

MURPHY: November 48 Quebec start a descent. When you're ready, maintain
two thousand four hundred. Two thousand four hundred. When I see you
start descending, I'm going to turn you toward the airport.

MURPHY: November 48 Quebec, are you able to start your descent, sir?

NICKISCH: I thought I was going down. It's taking everything I can to
hold back on the yoke. They tell me if I release the pressure, the
thing might let go. But boy it puts me in a straight dive down,
straight down.

MURPHY: We're in no hurry, I have no other traffic so you tell me
whatever it is you need to do.

NICKISCH: The big question is how long can I hold her. I'm going to try
releasing it and going down but let's see if I can pull her out.

NICKISCH: Yeah, she wouldn't let go. OK .. uh .. what do you want me to
do?

MURPHY: Well, November 48Quebec, I want to vector you toward the
airport but if you don't think you can control the descent, stand by
I'm trying to get some other assistance.

NICKISCH: I'm controlling the descent. I tried to let go of the yoke so
the autopilot would let go but it wouldn't, so .. uh .. continue with the
approach, please.

MURPHY: November 48 Quebec, roger. Continue in the gradual right turn.
You are nine miles from the runway and this will be a vector to Runway
32 Right. The wind is 3-2-0 at 1-0.

MURPHY: November 48 Quebec, are you the only person on board?

NICKISCH: Roger.

MURPHY: November 48 Quebec you can start descent now to the minimum
descent altitude. That is 1-1-0-0 descend at your discretion. You are
five and one-half miles from the runway and I show you on course.

MURPHY: November 48 Quebec, report the airport in sight when you have
it. You are now five miles from the runway.

MURPHY: November 48 Quebec, you are cleared to land on Runway 32 Right.
Let me know when you see the airport.

NICKISCH: I have the airport.

MURPHY: November 8048 Quebec you are number one. Cleared to land Runway
32 Right. Remain on my frequency for now.

NICKISCH: I'm going to try dropping the gear. You got the trucks ready?

MURPHY TO LOCAL CONTROL IN TOWER: Local, verify the trucks have been
rolled. He's going to try and lower the gear and he doesn't know what
that's going to do.

MURPHY: Local East, what do you got?

LOCAL EAST: Local, he's on the ground. Safe.

MURPHY: November 48 Quebec, contact Champaign Tower on 1-2-0 point
four. Nice job, sir.

NICKISCH: Where may I park?

MURPHY: November 48Quebec, you can just stop wherever you need to sir.

BL.
- --
Brad Littlejohn | Email:
Unix Systems Administrator, |

Web + NewsMaster, BOFH.. Smeghead! |
http://www.wizard.com/~tyketto

Old February 2nd 07, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 21:23:27 GMT, A Guy Called Tyketto
wrote in
:

WILLARD NICKISCH, PILOT: I've got an autopilot that won.t release and
it wants to pull me down into a dive.

Ummm... If I were Willard, I'd have pulled the autopilot circuit
breaker. Strange no one thought of that.
Old February 2nd 07, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Larry Dighera writes:

Ummm... If I were Willard, I'd have pulled the autopilot circuit
breaker. Strange no one thought of that.

He did admit in his letter that he was unfamiliar with the incident
and the recovery procedure (although I suppose that's no excuse).

Old February 2nd 07, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban[_13_]

Richard Riley wrote:

Maybe he couldn't get to it while hauling back on the yolk?

Master off. Pull breaker. Master on.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

--
JGalban
Posted at www.flight.org

Old February 2nd 07, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 21:23:27 GMT, A Guy Called Tyketto
wrote in
:

WILLARD NICKISCH, PILOT: I've got an autopilot that won.t release and
it wants to pull me down into a dive.

Ummm... If I were Willard, I'd have pulled the autopilot circuit
breaker. Strange no one thought of that.

I thought the same thing when I was listening to the tape on NPR this
morning.

Old February 2nd 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 21:23:27 GMT, A Guy Called Tyketto
wrote in
:

WILLARD NICKISCH, PILOT: I've got an autopilot that won.t release and
it wants to pull me down into a dive.

Ummm... If I were Willard, I'd have pulled the autopilot circuit
breaker. Strange no one thought of that.

I got the impression from this statement in his "thank you" letter that he
did pull the circuit breakers:

"Being I had disconnected the circuit breakers thinking it was an autopilot
problem I did not have a working gyro compass."

A Google search turns up a CNN interview where he indicates or suggests the
problem turned out to be a stuck elevator trim.
Old February 2nd 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul kgyy

On Feb 2, 4:03 pm, Larry Dighera wrote:
On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 21:23:27 GMT, A Guy Called Tyketto
wrote in
:

WILLARD NICKISCH, PILOT: I've got an autopilot that won.t release and
it wants to pull me down into a dive.

Ummm... If I were Willard, I'd have pulled the autopilot circuit
breaker. Strange no one thought of that.

On the older PA28s, you can't pull the breakers (e.g. 1969). They are
recessed. Having read this, I'm wondering about carrying something
with a blade sharp enough to slip under the cap to pry it out.

Old February 3rd 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
oups.com...

On the older PA28s, you can't pull the breakers (e.g. 1969). They are
recessed.

Ah, that's right! In the 28R I fly the only breaker that can easily be
pulled is for the landing gear. I wonder if he could have/did just shut
down the master. Wouldn't have helped if the elevator was stuck, of course.

Excellent reading.

-c

Old February 3rd 07, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message
Larry Dighera wrote:
On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 21:23:27 GMT, A Guy Called Tyketto
wrote in
:

WILLARD NICKISCH, PILOT: I've got an autopilot that won.t release and
it wants to pull me down into a dive.

Ummm... If I were Willard, I'd have pulled the autopilot circuit
breaker. Strange no one thought of that.

I thought the same thing when I was listening to the tape on NPR this
morning.

Sounds more like a runaway trim. The AP Disconnect switch should behave just
like pulling the circuit breaker.

Here's a very similar case which was a runaway trim.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...24X01192&key=1

Stupid Question Crash Lander Piloting 35 July 23rd 06 02:39 AM
Sports Pilot Television Expands Market Coverage AJ Piloting 0 April 10th 06 11:17 PM