Norway fjords flying

Old July 11th 07, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Norway fjords flying

Anyone ever flown in Norway? I love the idea of taking a short trip
(perhaps an afternoon or a couple of days) to fly over the fjords and
see some great views.

If anyone has any suggestions as to the best way to do this, I'd
appreciate it.

In general, I know this group is fairly USA-dominated. Is there a Euro-
group I should be posting this kind of request to instead?

Thanks,

Tom

Old July 12th 07, 09:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

If anyone has any suggestions as to the best way to do this, I'd
appreciate it.

Not sure what you mean. You don your life vest, get in the plane and
go.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 12th 07, 10:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jul 12, 9:03 am, Thomas Borchert
wrote:
If anyone has any suggestions as to the best way to do this, I'd
appreciate it.

Not sure what you mean. You don your life vest, get in the plane and
go.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Sorry, I'll be more specific about what I meant:
1. Any recommendations on who to rent a plane from?
2. Any recommendations on specific routes?
3. How much do I need to read up on flying in Europe, having only
flown in the US?
4. Is my FAA license ok, or do I need a Euro one?

Old July 12th 07, 12:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

Thomas Borchert schrieb:
If anyone has any suggestions as to the best way to do this, I'd
appreciate it.

Not sure what you mean. You don your life vest, get in the plane and
go.

And show up in the news. A potentially very dangerous advice.

I've never flown in Norway myself, but judging from photos, discussions
and general geographical knowledge, flying the fjords is pretty much
mountain flying (albeit a sea level). So be sure to know the appropriate
basics.

Additionally, the coast is oriented to the west, which means it's toward
the weather side. Expect rapid weather changes which, together with the
aforementioned fiords, most probably bear their own traps.

If you're experienced in mountains, then you probably should be able to
figure that out on your own. Otherwise, I would strongly suggest to hire
a flight instructor who can introduce you to the particularities.

If you understand some German, there's a short report in a German forum
http://www.eddh.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=736
(It's the third, the long, article. If you don't understand German, then
maybe you can attempt to extract some sense from a babeljoke
"translation".) You'll find some links there, too, and the pilot who
wrote that report will probably agree to answer some questions, if you
politely contact him by e-mail.

As for the information about flight rules particularities: The general
section of the Bottlang Airfield Manual should cover that, or, of
course, the Norwegian AIP.

Stefan
Old July 12th 07, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Stefan,

And show up in the news. A potentially very dangerous advice.

Your context sensor is not working.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 12th 07, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

1. Any recommendations on who to rent a plane from?
2. Any recommendations on specific routes?
3. How much do I need to read up on flying in Europe, having only
flown in the US?
4. Is my FAA license ok, or do I need a Euro one?

I will try to get in touch with the one Norwegian pilot I know and ask
him to contact you by mail. I'm afraid European harmonization is not as
advanced as would make sense, so rules specific to Norway apply to your
license.

Stefan is of course correct that flying in the mountaineous (sp?)
terrain of the fjords is not without perils, but - as you understood
without any problem - I was looking for more specific questions from
you, and promptly got them ;-)

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 12th 07, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ol Shy & Bashful

On Jul 11, 5:26 pm, wrote:
Anyone ever flown in Norway? I love the idea of taking a short trip
(perhaps an afternoon or a couple of days) to fly over the fjords and
see some great views.

If anyone has any suggestions as to the best way to do this, I'd
appreciate it.

In general, I know this group is fairly USA-dominated. Is there a Euro-
group I should be posting this kind of request to instead?

Thanks,

Tom

Tom
I haven't been to Norway in ten years but I suspect any flights you
make there will be more of a "charter" or "For Hire" kind of flight.
Certainly you can make up your own mind or arrangement when you chat
with the pilot of the flight. My last visit was to Stavenger on the SW
coast of Norway and I elected to take a cruise boat rather than a
flight. Either way is spectacular!
Don't expect to be able to rent an aircraft there and fly solo without
going thru some hoops for an equivilant license and that usually
proves too costly and time consuming for most. A charter flight is the
best option with the opportunity to get stick time via prior
arrangement with the PIC.
Have fun and take lots of pics. It is nearly as beautiful as our own
Glacier National Park.
Ol S&B