Relieving in flight

Old December 21st 17, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Relieving in flight

On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 7:29:42 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Gees, I dont know if I like that "adhesive" idea.

Hell I duct tape mine on. It is no fun to have a catheter come off at 17,500 two hours into 900 km flight, I know.
Old December 21st 17, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Thursday, December 21, 2017 at 8:51:01 AM UTC-8, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 7:29:42 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Gees, I dont know if I like that "adhesive" idea.

Hell I duct tape mine on. It is no fun to have a catheter come off at 17,500 two hours into 900 km flight, I know.

At Montague we put your phone number on the ziplock bag and drop on Steven Segals' ranch.

Old December 21st 17, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

After one contest where i landed wet every day but the last trying various solutions, i finally iterated to an overboard tube with condom catheter. I buy them in boxes of 100 or so from Amazon. i'll wipe the belly. having a ziploc bag of pee in the cockpit with me is too stressful. Having containers of pee in the cockpit just seems to me like a bomb waiting to go off.
Old December 21st 17, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, December 21, 2017 at 10:35:13 AM UTC-6, John Cochrane wrote:
My solution: External catheter. Use a little bit of talcum powder on the .... sensitive area.. first, so it comes off more easily. Connect to last year's camelback bladder, which goes down near your legs. This has two liters of capacity, way more than hospital urine bags. It's hands off, it's simple, no littering the countryside or bags caught on the leading edge, no pee - rust damage on the glider.

John Cochrane

Pee'd into uninary leg bags for a long time, now over-board line ending at the edge of a gear door (you see me lowering my gear, better run). Had to empty a very full cold leg bag through the window at Parowan at altitude once. The pee froze immediately against the outside of the canopy, not pretty.
Herb
Old December 21st 17, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 9:56:46 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Ok guys, this has probably been covered in older posts but what are you all using regarding urinary relief on long flights? Ive used gallon ziplock bags in the past but whats your experience with catheters. What brand and how are they.

Tried to order a coloplast sample; they want a birth year.

Selection starts at 2018 and can only be stepped back.
Would you believe 72 steps?

JMF
Old December 21st 17, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I use a quart sized zip lock baggie with a toddler size diaper folded inside of it (inside out, with the absorbent part exposed). This takes care of the danger of the bag getting punctured, since the diaper soaks up the liquid (in a couple of minutes). Yes it's a bit of a distraction when using it, but I can choose when to use it, during a quiet part of the flight (cruise rather than thermal).

And I never throw it overboard - bad PR!
Old December 21st 17, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

On Thursday, December 21, 2017 at 11:50:16 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I use a quart sized zip lock baggie with a toddler size diaper folded inside of it (inside out, with the absorbent part exposed). This takes care of the danger of the bag getting punctured, since the diaper soaks up the liquid (in a couple of minutes). Yes it's a bit of a distraction when using it, but I can choose when to use it, during a quiet part of the flight (cruise rather than thermal).

And I never throw it overboard - bad PR!

I do about the same: Make "piddle packs" out of doubled ziplocs containing the pad from an adult diaper. That will completely absorb at least two good urinations. Also absorbs barf (yeah, after more than 30 years at this, I still occasionally get airsick).

Outlanded at a lonely little county airport once and got thoroughly interrogated and searched by a very young, completely freaked out sheriff's deputy (female version of Barney Fife). She was asking if I had weapons or drugs onboard when she spotted the "used" ziploc baggy pee bomb protruding from under the seat rim. She snatched it up and it was about two beats before she realized what she was holding. That significantly dampened her enthusiasm for further searching.
Old December 21st 17, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Outlanded at a lonely little county airport once and got thoroughly interrogated and searched by a very young, completely freaked out sheriff's deputy (female version of Barney Fife). She was asking if I had weapons or drugs onboard when she spotted the "used" ziploc baggy pee bomb protruding from under the seat rim. She snatched it up and it was about two beats before she realized what she was holding. That significantly dampened her enthusiasm for further searching.

I use a male adhesive catheter and "leg bag" for myself, but make up a few "guest" baggies for use in our duo. Those are just quart ziplocks with a heaping teaspoon of Sodium Polyacrylate (the magic absorbent in diapers). You can get it on Amazon, a pound will last many lifetimes.

Unused this would definitely get the attention of the sheriff. White powder in a plastic bag, huh...

RR

Old December 21st 17, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

Problems with pee tubes include freezing up, and pee causing tail components to rust. I've had both happen. A catheter and bladder both exploding at 17,500 over the whites is not that fun! That's what led me to an onboard system.

All this joking aside, having some pee system and the ability to use it in the cockpit should be mandatory before going off cross country. If you can't pee, you won't drink, and if you don't drink, you can't think.

John Cochrane
Old December 21st 17, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, December 21, 2017 at 12:45:42 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thursday, December 21, 2017 at 10:35:13 AM UTC-6, John Cochrane wrote:
My solution: External catheter. Use a little bit of talcum powder on the ... sensitive area.. first, so it comes off more easily. Connect to last year's camelback bladder, which goes down near your legs. This has two liters of capacity, way more than hospital urine bags. It's hands off, it's simple, no littering the countryside or bags caught on the leading edge, no pee - rust damage on the glider.

John Cochrane

Pee'd into uninary leg bags for a long time, now over-board line ending at the edge of a gear door (you see me lowering my gear, better run). Had to empty a very full cold leg bag through the window at Parowan at altitude once. The pee froze immediately against the outside of the canopy, not pretty.
Herb

Location of the dump point at the aft end of the gear door seems like it should work well.
It has 3 important shortcomings.
1- Urine does get into the landing gear box and rudder hinge area with this method. Anybody who has worked on gliders much has seen rusted landing gear parts as a result of this. I had to cut the rudder horn fairing off one glider to get at the lower hinge bolt due to rust.
2- Freezing. The long length and path can lead to freezing, especially at low points.
3- Cleaning. It is hard to clean out well.
The probe out the belly solution avoids these issues.
Another opinion.
UH