Nextel paint finish for cockpits

Old December 23rd 03, 04:51 PM
Simon Waddell

Default Nextel paint finish for cockpits

I'm having my glider refinished and the workshop is recommending Nextel
paint for the cockpit. This paint has kind of a soft feel to it. I think
it's used in K21 cockpits and, in black, it's sometimes used for the cover
over the instrument panel since it doesn't reflect light.

Does anyone have any experience of this paint in cockpits; I'm thinking
mainly of ease of cleaning, scuff resistance and durability

Old December 24th 03, 03:45 PM
edwin

We have some experience with nextel. Great stuff, but very expensive. Beside
the paint itself you need also a special pimer for it. But when you did your
cockpit with nextel, reflexion is history.
"Simon Waddell" schreef in bericht

Old December 26th 03, 03:09 AM
Harold Ennulat

No experiemce with Nextel, but I would think for the cockpit you would want
a hard paint versus a soft one just for durability.

Old December 26th 03, 05:42 AM
Buck Wild

"Simon Waddell" wrote in message ...
I'm having my glider refinished and the workshop is recommending Nextel
paint for the cockpit. This paint has kind of a soft feel to it. I think
it's used in K21 cockpits and, in black, it's sometimes used for the cover
over the instrument panel since it doesn't reflect light.

Does anyone have any experience of this paint in cockpits; I'm thinking
mainly of ease of cleaning, scuff resistance and durability

I just did some painting with "Zolotone" (splatter paint), sometimes
used in truck beds, trunks & engine bays. Amazing stuff. Easy to get
excellent results.
I used it on plastic motorcycle body panels. Paint is hard, durable,
yet flexible. It leaves a textured finish, but for my application I
sanded it smooth then finished with epoxy clear-coat. Mine looks like
granite, color choices are unlimited.
Seems the perfect choice for a cockpit.
Old December 26th 03, 07:01 AM
edwin

Just a remark, Nextel is that good because it has no reflections. Alle other
paint reflect and nextel not.

Old December 26th 03, 02:48 PM
JJ Sinclair

Buck wrote.

I just did some painting with "Zolotone" (splatter paint), sometimes
used in truck beds, trunks & engine bays. Amazing stuff.

We have used Zolotone on many cockpits, good stuff, wears well and looks good.
I would however, use flat black on the instrument panel and glare shield to
prevent reflections.
JJ Sinclair

Good Paint Remover? Marco Leon Owning 2 June 22nd 04 07:58 PM
Carbon Fiber - Achieving Glossy Finish w/o GelCoat RKT Home Built 7 March 8th 04 06:15 AM
cleaning engine Robert M. Gary Piloting 29 December 6th 03 03:55 PM
Radar Absorbing Paint robert arndt Military Aviation 2 December 2nd 03 05:09 PM
500 foot rule and pilot opinion poll John Cochrane Soaring 84 October 2nd 03 02:13 PM