Lak-12

Old December 22nd 03, 07:52 AM
Flyhighdave

Default Lak-12

Would be interested in hearing any & all experiences and thoughts on the
Lak-12. Thanks!
Old December 22nd 03, 02:13 PM
Charles Yeates

Super in the air. Flew one a hundred and fifty hours in sixty days in
South Australia long ago. Tough to get down into a field when landing
out (air brakes ineffective) A monster to rig and derig.

Old December 23rd 03, 01:01 AM
Chris Nicholas

Have a look at: http://www.lak-12.org/main.htm .

My only observations, with very little experience so far of the Lak 12,
are that:

1.Hours spent on effective rigging aids are worthwhile - a 1-person rig
is possible, though taking some time, with the right bits and pieces.

2. It needs a lot of room, to land - I find the airbrakes are not very
effective.

3. Avoiding the wingtips touching the ground during take off is an
issue - long, low wings.

It is delightful and relatively viceless to fly.

Chris N.

Old December 23rd 03, 05:38 AM
Clint

I bought mine (sn6229) with less than 50hrs in February. I imported it
from a neighbouring country where the gliding club had folded about
three years ago. The glider was in good condition with excellent
equipment (including dittel radio, LX5000 computer and MH oxygen). It
came with a factory trailer for the equivalent of $17 000 at the time
of purchase.

I have flown the glider now for 40 hours with the longest flight being
250 km. I had ~70 hours total when I bought it - with the best glider
that I had flown at the time of my conversion being an ASK 23.

I have scared myself a couple of times landing it, but have survived
two outlandings and a brush with a bush. Cross-wind landings are tough
due to the weathercocking of the tail. It will drop the wing unless
you go to negative flap on the rollout. I landed once with negative
flap - almost made it to the winch. I have had no problems with the
take-offs on the winch. The glider is very strong and can take all
sorts of abuse.

It is an absolute joy in the air. It climbs with the wooden gliders
and then runs with the racing ships. It can thermal very slow and
tight with positive flaps. The current South African handicap system
is being revised as the old open class ships can generally not outfly
15m racing ships in the strong conditions - and thus will not be
penalised on strong days. On weak days - the handicap will be heavier
for the open class ships. I have not filled her up yet - will try that
soon in the new year.

It is kept rigged in a hanger so the rigging is not a major issue. It
is obviously heavier to rig than a 15m ship - but getting the pin in
is not a major hassle. Just need to clean all the bits before getting
the wings out of the trailer - the help doesn't like holding the wings
whilst the owner fiddles with rags and grease.

Clinton
LAK 12 C2
Old December 23rd 03, 07:51 AM
CH

The LAK-12 is more or less a copy of the first prototype
of the ASW-17 (that's at least what Schleichers designer
Gerhard Waibel told me once). The ASW-17 prototype
had handling qualities like the LAK-12 today:

- heavy side rudder
- heavy ailerons in -2 and +2 flap position

That's why the ASW-17 series got some modifications in the
steering kinematics and the aerodynamically supporting nose
on the side rudder.

I have flown the LAK-12 and there is not much to complain
for the small price you have to pay.

But the handling qualities are not very pleasant, compared
to other gliders. Thats reducing the fun factor heaps, but
only for pilots who know better stuff.

Chris

Old December 26th 03, 06:51 PM
Al

The Lak actually has more in common with the Nimbus2
It uses the same wing section as the N2 and the wing layout is more N2 in
design

The Lak only similarity with the 17 is the tail group where it is similar
but has less taper than the ASW17

Al