Total energy probe orientation?

Old June 5th 09, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Bojack[_2_]

Default Total energy probe orientation?

Using the newer esa probe, model DN/3-fach/UN, with the two "prongs".
Does the orientation matter, and if so, which way is correct? Horizontal
or up/down?

Thanks.

also, comedic replies not needed.

J4

Old June 5th 09, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Jun 4, 7:15*pm, "John Bojack" wrote:
Using the newer esa probe, model DN/3-fach/UN, with the two "prongs".
Does the orientation matter, and if so, which way is correct? * Horizontal
or up/down?

Thanks.

also, comedic replies not needed.

J4

Since the marketing hype for this type of probe is about insensitivity
to angle of attack changes I would presume you are supposed to use
them vertically so AoA changes on both TE prongs balances each others.
Presumably the reason for not putting the TE prong horizontal
(includign on a single prong conventional TE probe) is sensitivity to
slip/skid angle. That and it would look dawky.

I suspect more likely this is an example of a solution looking for a
problem. Try taping over one of the TE ports at a time and let us all
know if it was worth spending the extra money on.

Darryl
Old June 5th 09, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Bojack[_2_]

Default reply from Erwin Salzinger

Received this reply:

Hello John,

the correct way is horizontal. you can also positon up and down but it
is not the best way!

have a good time and always strong thermals!

mit freundlichen Grüßen
kind regards

Erwin Salzinger
esa-systems
Wilmeresch58
D-48565 Steinfurt
Tel.:+49(0)2551 996659
Fax: +49(0)2551 996664
mobil: 01749998326
www.esa-systems.com

Old June 5th 09, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

the correct way is horizontal.

The idea is to make it insensitive to "uncoordinated" flight.

I've never flown that probe myself, but I've heard good critics from
other pilots.
Old June 5th 09, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Most interesting! What about the model with the single prong? (Model
MNI/UN?)