RJ 5 handicap

Old November 3rd 16, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default RJ 5 handicap

What handicap number would the RJ 5 ( 40 to 1 condition) have under the current system? Guesses / opinions?
Old November 3rd 16, 06:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 7:11:38 PM UTC-7, wrote:
What handicap number would the RJ 5 ( 40 to 1 condition) have under the current system? Guesses / opinions?

My opinion? The handicap should state that anyone who enters any contest in the RJ-5 automatically wins.

Looking at the in-period competition results suggests to me that a handicap based on it being a but better than the K6E, SH-1 or Skylark 4 might be about right. Maybe the same as an SHK? I wasn't even around in those days so all I know about the subject is gleaned from reading old issues of Soaring and Sailplane & Gliding. I'm fascinated by the older ships and what the scene was like from 1945 through the mid-70's. Even the competition reports from those days are fun to read! I really want to get the time to visit some vintage events in the future. So far the older designs in my logbook are an early 1-26 and 1-23, and a 2-22. I suppose my ASW-15 is fairly old as was the Phoebus C I had a few flights in this year and the L-13's were certainly a vintage design but none of those seems to really feel "vintage" to me. I would love a chance to get up in a 2-8 or LK-10 someday.
Old November 4th 16, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω

Is this N79T that is mentioned at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross-Johnson_RJ-5. Quite a contest history of wins in that particular ship. Is there more than one RJ-5 out there?
Old November 4th 16, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Friday, November 4, 2016 at 1:57:08 PM UTC-6, OHM Ω wrote:
Is this N79T that is mentioned at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross-Johnson_RJ-5. Quite a contest history of wins in that particular ship. Is there more than one RJ-5 out there?

Dick Johnson had a great article about his win in the 1963 Nationals held in Elmira. He was flying the Skylark 4, my father the repaired RJ-5 renamed RJK-5. He shares his impressions of flying against the sailplane he co-designed and built. It is in the December 1963 issue of Soaring. The actual contest report is in the August issue. These old reports (Soaring archives) are really great reading.

When George Moffat was reporting on Glider performance he claimed the RJ5 had a glide that was midway between the SGS2-32 and the Sisu 1-A.

Mike
Old November 5th 16, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The question was how does the RJ 5 in its prime performance condition rate in the current Sports Class handicap system. An internet search for the RJ5 measured polar was unsuccessful . It would be interesting to compare the RJ5 polar to a Standard Cirrus, ASW 20, Sisu 1A, etc. the RJ5 was a break through and led the way to modern sailplanes.
Old November 5th 16, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Friday, November 4, 2016 at 7:32:39 PM UTC-6, wrote:
The question was how does the RJ 5 in its prime performance condition rate in the current Sports Class handicap system. An internet search for the RJ5 measured polar was unsuccessful . It would be interesting to compare the RJ5 polar to a Standard Cirrus, ASW 20, Sisu 1A, etc. the RJ5 was a break through and led the way to modern sailplanes.

Try Soaring mag archives. It has a search function.

Mike
Old November 5th 16, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Friday, November 4, 2016 at 8:53:26 PM UTC-6, Mike C wrote:
On Friday, November 4, 2016 at 7:32:39 PM UTC-6, wrote:
The question was how does the RJ 5 in its prime performance condition rate in the current Sports Class handicap system. An internet search for the RJ5 measured polar was unsuccessful . It would be interesting to compare the RJ5 polar to a Standard Cirrus, ASW 20, Sisu 1A, etc. the RJ5 was a break through and led the way to modern sailplanes.

Try Soaring mag archives. It has a search function.

Mike

Found the polar in the August 1960 issue of Soaring. It also includes comparison polars for the HP-8 and Phoenix.

Mike
Old November 5th 16, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Mike, I tried to find pictures of the RJ-5 on the internet, but
couldn't. Glad I flew with you and got to see the ship in person so much!

Dan

--
Dan, 5J
Old November 6th 16, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, November 4, 2016 at 10:19:09 PM UTC-5, Mike C wrote:
On Friday, November 4, 2016 at 8:53:26 PM UTC-6, Mike C wrote:
On Friday, November 4, 2016 at 7:32:39 PM UTC-6, wrote:
The question was how does the RJ 5 in its prime performance condition rate in the current Sports Class handicap system. An internet search for the RJ5 measured polar was unsuccessful . It would be interesting to compare the RJ5 polar to a Standard Cirrus, ASW 20, Sisu 1A, etc. the RJ5 was a break through and led the way to modern sailplanes.

Try Soaring mag archives. It has a search function.

Mike

Found the polar in the August 1960 issue of Soaring. It also includes comparison polars for the HP-8 and Phoenix.

Mike

Thanks for the reply. For some reason the first search on Soaring archives did not show Aug 1960. When learning to fly as a teen in 1959, the RJ 5 was a supership compared to the surplus WWII training gliders flown by the soaring community. Today the RJ 5 seems to be matched by the Standard Class gliders of the 1970s, Standard Cirrus, ASW 15, etc., hardly superships by current production standards. Yet, a 535 mile flight was made for a world record. Wally Scott's 455 mile flight to a declared goal in a K6 set a world record. Sailplanes with handicap ratings near 1.00 have ample performance for Diamond distance, goal, and all other badge flights. All possible on modest soaring budgets.

handicap 5 ugly Soaring 1 November 26th 11 02:57 AM
How is handicap weight determined for the SSA handicap list? AK Soaring 1 September 25th 07 01:43 PM
Handicap bargains Ian Cant Soaring 0 December 28th 05 05:49 PM
USA handicap listings 01-- Zero One Soaring 1 June 5th 05 06:53 PM
SSA HANDICAP LIST [email protected] Soaring 11 September 17th 04 02:58 AM