Don't miss New Castle VA R4S - Register Now!

Old August 5th 17, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

Default Don't miss New Castle VA R4S - Register Now!

On Saturday, August 5, 2017 at 7:01:35 AM UTC-7, Andrzej Kobus wrote:

All tows I took from grass runways behind Pawnees were far worse in terms of distance to clear 50' obstacle and that includes 80-90 degrees days. My ready to fly weight is close to 1200 lb (dry). Also I climb at much lower speed which contributes to better distance to clear 50' obstacle. If it is not safe for me to self launch there it is not safe to take a tow. This is how I see it based on experience.

Fair enough point. A -31 may not be able to fly out of this airport at all, depending on conditions. Evan gives good advice.

9B
Old August 5th 17, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Saturday, August 5, 2017 at 7:39:29 AM UTC-7, Dave Nadler wrote:

Accident report fails to note that take-off attempt was with 15m tips,
which is forbidden in the manual.

That's a significant oversight.
Old August 6th 17, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Saturday, August 5, 2017 at 11:14:09 AM UTC-5, Andy Blackburn wrote:
On Saturday, August 5, 2017 at 7:39:29 AM UTC-7, Dave Nadler wrote:
Accident report fails to note that take-off attempt was with 15m tips,
which is forbidden in the manual.

That's a significant oversight.

Many if not most NTSB accident reports for GA are extremely poor quality;
this kind of thing is typical. I don't expect they send the
best and brightest for GA accidents.

BGA reports are better and good education; summaries in S&G.
Sailplane and Gliding is significantly higher quality than
USA's Soaring - I highly recommend subscribing and reading.
Lots of good educational material, news, in addition to accident summaries.

Register on a Triennial Cycle brian whatcott Soaring 11 July 22nd 10 09:06 PM
430W/When does the glideslope register scott moore Instrument Flight Rules 5 September 27th 07 02:32 AM
Falke/T61 register Ian Walton Soaring 1 June 13th 06 09:06 AM
Why Screeners Miss Guns and Knives (and why pilots miss planes and airports) cjcampbell Piloting 2 January 3rd 06 04:24 AM
Register your opinions Sunny Military Aviation 7 July 23rd 03 10:12 AM