Own an LS-3? I need a picture please!

Old October 1st 17, 05:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bill palmer

Default Own an LS-3? I need a picture please!

I recently purchased an LS-3, but since the previous owner was a large person, the seat back was removed. The owner's wife recently found the seatback but it's installation from the parts I received is unclear. (I think I got extra parts!)

If you have an LS-3, I'd really appreciate a photo of what your seatback looks like ( both sides) including how it is attached to the seat pan. Especially the details on the hinge arrangment (how may screws are actually used, etc).

If you know offhand, a short email would be much appreciated if photos are inconvenient.

Thanks

Bill Palmer

wfpalmer at gmail dot com
Old October 1st 17, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

From memory, the seat has 3 adjustment points, seat bottom, seat top and headrest. Two screws attach seat back to floor with 3 or 4 positions available (fore-aft), the seat top position is moved for-aft with right side cable adjustment. Head rest is slid for-aft with several adjustment holes available.
Hope this helps........email me photos of anything you can't figure out..........johnsinclair210 (at) yahoo.com.....
Old October 2nd 17, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bill palmer

On Sunday, October 1, 2017 at 8:10:52 AM UTC-7, wrote:
From memory, the seat has 3 adjustment points, seat bottom, seat top and headrest. Two screws attach seat back to floor with 3 or 4 positions available (fore-aft), the seat top position is moved for-aft with right side cable adjustment. Head rest is slid for-aft with several adjustment holes available.
Hope this helps........email me photos of anything you can't figure out..........johnsinclair210 (at) yahoo.com.....

Ok, thanks, that's what I've got. I wasn't sure, since the six holes in the floor didn't line up at the same time with all the holes in the hinge. So that only two work at a time agrees with the parts I acquired.

Bill
Old October 4th 17, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yes, you can adjust the lower position of the backrest by shifting holes as well as the upper position.

Also IIRC it's possible to remove the headrest sliding tube, reverse the orientation of the sliding headrest bracket on said tube, and replace the tube in order to change the position of the headrest vis-a-vis the backrest. I recall we did this because I was tall and had a very thin parachute and needed to sit well back in the cockpit. The stock headrest was then too far forward. Reversing the orientation positioned it farther back. I think all that was required to put the padding on the front side was to slide it off the headrest backing, reverse it, and then slide it back on.

Also from memory (and it's been 25+ years, so bear with me), there was a bracket welded to the side of the headrest for mounting a boom mike. We deemed that a hazard in a crash (could penetrate the skull if your head were slammed back slightly off center) so we sawed it off and filed it smooth. YMMV..

Chip Bearden

New picture for the FES on the Silent 2 WE Soaring 3 March 4th 11 01:20 AM
Challenge - Picture-03 060.jpg (1/1) Luc Aviation Photos 0 August 4th 07 08:45 PM
Great Picture Mal Soaring 2 October 24th 05 01:07 PM
Puff picture G Evans Home Built 0 September 2nd 04 01:22 PM
Add your picture! Jay Honeck Owning 0 November 26th 03 04:40 PM