Sparrowhawk handling

Old August 9th 15, 06:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Sparrowhawk handling

Good point about flying more frequently. I wonder how many hours the average glider pilot logs in a year?
Old August 9th 15, 10:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Sunday, August 9, 2015 at 8:50:16 AM UTC+3, wrote:
Good point about flying more frequently. I wonder how many hours the average glider pilot logs in a year?

I've averaged about 15, over 30 years.

Some years, nothing at all. One year 90. Most years 10 - 15.

I've flown quite a bit the last three years, since I became an instructor, doing a day of trial flights every two or three weeks. But it's likely to be near zero the next three years, as I've taken a job in Moscow and there seems to be not a lot around here. I'm planning to visit friends in Szeged (Hungary) from time to time for a fix, and maybe others in Germany/Czech/Poland too. But it's not going to be a lot of hours...
Old August 9th 15, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

I remember one year I had a goal of getting 400 hours in my ASW-24. I went on two soaring vacations, flew every Saturday and even during the week if the weather was forecast to be great, At the end of the year I added up my hours 275 hours was all. Sure put in many miles that year and learned a lot.
Old August 9th 15, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I've got 3000+ hrs in my Ventus B and 6k total. Did 350/year for about 15 years out west working 4-10s flying Fri, sat and sun

CH
Old August 10th 15, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark628CA

Tony-

After watching your progression from a teenager with your Cherokee (on RAS mostly) through the studly flights you are getting now, I can conclude that you are not (and never were) the fearful, ham-handed newbie Hartley is referring to.

Remember that some folks are born to fly, some can learn to fly, some can deal with flying, some are accidents searching for an address.

There is always Fantasy Football and Gardening.
Old August 11th 15, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

In my experience as an instructor, most pilots who have trouble with aero tow do not have an adequate command of rudder usage. This is not limited to student pilots.
Old August 11th 15, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gliding Guru

At 14:12 07 August 2015, Hartley Falbaum wrote:
Is the Sparrowhawk handling suitable for a low time glider pilot who

flies
=
infrequently? How is pitch and roll sensitivity compared to say, a Discus
B=
? One of our club members seems to have a big problem staying in

position
=
on tow. He does just OK in a K21. I need to know how to help him or
convers=
ely, suggest he do something else. I have 1-26 , 1-34, LS4, ASW20, ASW

27,
=
DG808, and Discus CS experience.

Thanks in Advance

Hartley Falbaum CFIG, USA

It sounds like he rather needs to go back to dual. If he can't keep a K21
there he is in real danger to himself and worse to the tow pilot.

Early last year two tow planes went down in the initial stages of the
launch in South Africa and New Zealand!

Old September 24th 15, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, August 7, 2015 at 9:12:10 AM UTC-5, Hartley Falbaum wrote:
Is the Sparrowhawk handling suitable for a low time glider pilot who flies infrequently? How is pitch and roll sensitivity compared to say, a Discus B? One of our club members seems to have a big problem staying in position on tow. He does just OK in a K21. I need to know how to help him or conversely, suggest he do something else. I have 1-26 , 1-34, LS4, ASW20, ASW 27, DG808, and Discus CS experience.

Thanks in Advance

Hartley Falbaum CFIG, USA

Hello:
I can answer that question as I just had my first 3 flights in my Sparrowhawk. I too am a low time glider pilot with 40 hours, 105 flights. However, I do have considerable total time in very large airplanes. Most of my glider time is in the Grob 103 Twin II, but I have flown a Blanik L13,&23.

So on to the answer, I would say that they should not fly the Sparrowhawk until they can handle a more docile glider. It's a very responsive airplane, the roll rate is very fast, but the pitch is faster and will surprise you on take-off and tow. I think my lack of experience in single seat gliders is key here, and the combo of a C.G. hook and very light weight are big factors. At 60kts we climb out at 1000fpm, and the nose is pitched up a bit too high and the dash blocks the view of the towplane, so 65kts works much better.

I love how the Sparrowhawk handles, you really fell the bumps, and it can stay in a small thermal, plus it will fly very slow. If the thermals are broken up a bit, then using a "dolphin" technique works well to get to the next thermal. Also, it is very easy to land, I think because with the spoilers up the control rates slow down a bit. It lands just like a the Grob, 60 kts on final, tail first, but hold the stick back during roll out.

Its a fantastic airplane to fly and own, and I am very pleased I made the purchase, but its not a trainer glider. Feel free to contact me via phone if you wish, just let me know and we can set it up.
Mike T

Old September 24th 15, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, August 7, 2015 at 9:12:10 AM UTC-5, Hartley Falbaum wrote:
Is the Sparrowhawk handling suitable for a low time glider pilot who flies infrequently? How is pitch and roll sensitivity compared to say, a Discus B? One of our club members seems to have a big problem staying in position on tow. He does just OK in a K21. I need to know how to help him or conversely, suggest he do something else. I have 1-26 , 1-34, LS4, ASW20, ASW 27, DG808, and Discus CS experience.

Thanks in Advance

Hartley Falbaum CFIG, USA

One thing I forgot to mention, after the first flight I switched to very thin sole shoes, maybe suggest they do as well, or even try barefoot. The rudder bars are connected via rope to the rudder and provide very little feed back.
Old September 29th 15, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, August 7, 2015 at 9:12:10 AM UTC-5, Hartley Falbaum wrote:
Is the Sparrowhawk handling suitable for a low time glider pilot who flies infrequently? How is pitch and roll sensitivity compared to say, a Discus B? One of our club members seems to have a big problem staying in position on tow. He does just OK in a K21. I need to know how to help him or conversely, suggest he do something else. I have 1-26 , 1-34, LS4, ASW20, ASW 27, DG808, and Discus CS experience.

Thanks in Advance

Hartley Falbaum CFIG, USA

I have a fair amount of time in a Sparrow Hawk and believe that if you can handle a 126 you can fly a Sparrow hawk. The stick forces are light and it is a pleasure to fly and easy to land and will fly when other can't.