A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

iGlide and iPad mini

Old September 10th 15, 08:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

Default iGlide and iPad mini

Anyone flying with iGlide and an iPd mini? What are your thoughts, does the iPad mini work well in the cockpit? Are you happy with this combination, is the mini bright enough to see in the cockpit, does the battery last long enough, what mount do you use?

Any comments would be helpful. Thanks
Old September 10th 15, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 12:42:10 AM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Anyone flying with iGlide and an iPd mini? What are your thoughts, does the iPad mini work well in the cockpit? Are you happy with this combination, is the mini bright enough to see in the cockpit, does the battery last long enough, what mount do you use?

I tried Iglide on an IPAD Air. Went outside on my deck in the sun and could not even tell it was a map. In the car out of the sun it worked well.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old September 10th 15, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I tried it and gave it up. Visibility was marginal for my old eyes. Battery life might be enough for you depending on how long you fly. It was not enough for 5 hour flights without a backup battery. It is just a little large for the cockpit I was flying in, in a RAM mount. Full disclosu I did not use it enough to become fully proficient with it, but it seemed to me the learning curve was steeper than some other technology. Fred

On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 12:42:10 AM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

Old September 26th 15, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Pasker
external usenet poster

I use my iPhone6, which is about half the size of an iPad mini, and I love it. its just the right size, and I have no problems reading it.

On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 3:42:10 AM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

Old October 15th 15, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 2:42:10 AM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

I use an iPhone 6 plus with Bluetooth connection to a Bad Elf pro GPS, and it works great! The combo is very quick and accurate, plus I was able to create my own glider polar in iGlide to match my sailplane. I did not have room on my panel for anything extra, so I used a kneeboard instead. It holds my phone securely and I have no problem seeing the screen in bright sunlight. I highly recommend using iGlide.