Backing up a cobra trailer uphill. Is it safe ?

Old October 17th 15, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Backing up a cobra trailer uphill. Is it safe ?

I have a steep driveway where I want to park my Cobra trailer.
Is it safe to backup the trailer up the incline ?
This means that the run-up brake will be completely compressed.
Can this be done without any damage to the mechanisme ?
Is my understanding correct that there is some kind of free-running mode on the brakes when pushing backwards ?
3U
Old October 17th 15, 08:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

The brakes will open as the wheels start turning backwards, although the rod is completely compressed. No problem.

Bert Ventus cM TW
Old October 17th 15, 01:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian Reekie

The mechanical magic is all explained here

http://www.al-ko.co.uk/edit/files/ha...m-handbook.pdf

Rgds
Ian

Old October 17th 15, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, October 16, 2015 at 9:20:05 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I have a steep driveway where I want to park my Cobra trailer.
Is it safe to backup the trailer up the incline ?
This means that the run-up brake will be completely compressed.
Can this be done without any damage to the mechanisme ?
Is my understanding correct that there is some kind of free-running mode on the brakes when pushing backwards ?
3U

The answer should be self-evident since you're dealing with German Engineering, buddy!
Old October 17th 15, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, October 16, 2015 at 8:20:05 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I have a steep driveway where I want to park my Cobra trailer.
Is it safe to backup the trailer up the incline ?
This means that the run-up brake will be completely compressed.
Can this be done without any damage to the mechanisme ?
Is my understanding correct that there is some kind of free-running mode on the brakes when pushing backwards ?
3U

No problem with the brakes if they are properly adjusted but I've encountered two situations where a trailer hitch popped off the ball damaging the rear of the tow vehicle when backing up a steep driveway.

It seems that some ball hitches don't like a large positive angle (trailer angling upwards with respect to the car) when combined with backing loads.

This led one owner to use an electric winch inside his garage to pull the trailer in without risking his car.
Old October 17th 15, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, October 17, 2015 at 6:15:08 AM UTC-6, Ian Reekie wrote:
The mechanical magic is all explained here

http://www.al-ko.co.uk/edit/files/ha...m-handbook.pdf

Rgds
Ian

Wondering about the handbook. It calls for 290Km torque value. This translates to 213 FT LBS. Is this correct or does it translate to 65TT LBS? My brake stays applied when I back up and I am going to take the brakes apart and figure out why. Thanks
Old October 17th 15, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Saturday, October 17, 2015 at 1:03:58 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Saturday, October 17, 2015 at 6:15:08 AM UTC-6, Ian Reekie wrote:
The mechanical magic is all explained here

http://www.al-ko.co.uk/edit/files/ha...m-handbook.pdf

Rgds
Ian

Wondering about the handbook. It calls for 290Km torque value. This translates to 213 FT LBS. Is this correct or does it translate to 65TT LBS? My brake stays applied when I back up and I am going to take the brakes apart and figure out why. Thanks

I can believe it, it's about what other axle nuts holding a cartridge bearing calls for.
Ranges go from ~140 ftlbs to over 200 ftlbs torque.
If they were an "old style" taper roller bearing, it's a lot less (more like 30 ftlbs).