Self-launch v Sustainer

Old November 9th 16, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GeneReinecke

Default Self-launch v Sustainer

On Saturday, October 29, 2016 at 2:17:47 PM UTC-6, Duster wrote:
Retired now and looking to purchase a motorized glider; weighing the pros and cons of self-launchers v sustainers. Two-placer is a priority, as I would like to take my wife. Single place acceptable as long as I can keep her happy sightseeing. We plan on extensive travelling, some to both established and unestablished (i.e., w/o tugs avail) soaring areas (esp. ridge/mountain/wave). Is the weight penalty the chief difference? Engine reliability? Maintenance? Minimum 18m? Some of you may recommend getting some first-hand experience at a commercial operation; where would that be?

Any feedback appreciated, even if just to eliminate models to stay away from.
Mike

Watching the Stemme assembly video made me curious:
Are most Stemme owners simply hangaring their aircraft at their favorite soaring site and flying them to their second favorite? The complexity of the trailer, hoists and assembly tools would lead me to believe so.
BTW, does anybody have any feedback on flying differences between the S10 and S12?
Gene
Old November 9th 16, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Yes, but the Cobra trailer has two electric hoists to facilitate lifting
the center section. It looks like it takes at least an hour to assemble
from the trailer whereas I can rig my wings from the folded position in
about 10 minutes. I learned recently that some of the very early
Stemmes had a 4-piece wing and could be solo rigged using a rigging tool.

BTW, I'll bet you could build your own trailer for about 20% of the cost
of a Cobra using the proper sized Haul Mark. You don't really need a
clam shell top.

On 11/8/2016 1:27 PM, Chris wrote:
If you are curious about what it takes to disasemble a Stemme and considering a Cobra trailer instead of a hangar you may want to look at this video. The center panel is 400lb and needs to be lifted over the canopy....

https://youtu.be/ejpUGpZ2vhc

--
Dan, 5J
Old November 9th 16, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I keep it in my hangar with the wings folded (my doors only open to 42'
wide. I pull it out and then taxi, still folded, to the apron by the
launch area where I unfold and rig the wings.

I imported the ship from Mexico and got a checkout while taking my
instructor home to Payson, AZ from Laredo, TX, then I flew it home to
Moriarty. Two months later, my wife and I flew the Stemme to Minden for
a fun week of soaring. I used about 24 gallons of gas for 650 miles of
powered flight for about 27 mpg at a true airspeed of 140 kts. We flew
west at 16,500' and east at 17,500'. With the turbo, the climb was
quick and easy.

To my knowledge there's one S12 in the country and I think the owner
said it flies just like the S10.

Old November 9th 16, 05:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

No. That's Bex in Switzerland where I fly.
Old November 9th 16, 07:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 8:09:30 PM UTC-8, Tango Whisky wrote:
No. That's Bex in Switzerland where I fly.

Cool, Bert. You fly in a wonderful place. I've driven past Bex to work in Brig.
Unterwössen was the first alpine site with an umlaut that came to mind..

The Stemme rigging video makes an ASH25 seem like Kinderspiel!
Jim
Old November 9th 16, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

I see the clever keyboarders are finding codes for umlauting
German vowels, but on a Chrome browser set to English, they
come out as gibberish = C3 = B6 [spaces inserted]

Unterwoessen and Nuernberg are perfectly acceptable.

When my great grandfolks left Bavaria to become Pennsylvania
Dutch, Deutsch posing an orthographic challenge to the locals,
the e got inserted because the Ellis Island typewriters couldn't do
accents.

Later on my grandfather changed the o to a when folks kept
driving by the sign.

Whisky wrote:
No. That's Bex in Switzerland where I fly.

Cool, Bert. You fly in a wonderful place. I've driven past Bex to

work in
B=
rig.
Unterw=C3=B6ssen was the first alpine site with an umlaut that

came to
mind=
..