What glider if not a Speed Astir?

Old December 11th 03, 02:01 AM
Flyhighdave

Default What glider if not a Speed Astir?

So some of you really don't think to highly of the Speed Astir. What then would
be your recommendations for a first glider for a low time pilot training &
soloing in a G103 II A? I need something under $20,000. that will keep me happy
for a while. Thanks for your input!
David
Old December 11th 03, 02:10 AM
Arnold Pieper

The Pegase would fit the bill perfectly.
The LS-4 or Jantar Std 3 as well, but they would cost a bit more.

Old December 11th 03, 02:41 AM
Shawn Curry

Flyhighdave wrote:

So some of you really don't think to highly of the Speed Astir. What then would
be your recommendations for a first glider for a low time pilot training &
soloing in a G103 II A? I need something under $20,000. that will keep me happy
for a while. Thanks for your input!
David

Mosquito, ASW-19, Libelle, 1-34 (in N. America).

Old December 11th 03, 02:58 AM
W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\).

The ASW-19 would do as well as the Pegase, not quite as good a performance,
but should be cheaper.

The ASW-19 was the machine of choice for the U.K. team in the Junior Sport
Class World Gliding Championships this year, it has also been bought by the
Surrey & Hants. gliding club for their early pilots, they have the biggest
single seater fleet of any civilian club in the U.K.

I agree about the Pegase and LS-4, I am not familiar with the Jantar
Standard.

In my own opinion, the ASW-19 is a nice glider and I would always be happy
to fly one. The Pegase is nicer, and the LS-4 nicer still. This is also
the order of performance, and of price.

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

. com...

Old December 11th 03, 04:17 AM
BTIZ

Libelle or Kestral both under $20K
.... Maybe an LS-4 on the higher cost side.

BT

Old December 11th 03, 07:52 AM
Janusz Kesik

Well, a Jantar Standard 2/3 or Junior (depending what You like more - LD
40:1 or extremely easy handling respectively) would be perfect I think.
If You'll be looking hard, guys from my club have found Jantars in CIS fo
r a bargain price, and now we have 6 of them at our field. You may look f
or them also.

Regards,

--
Janusz Kesik

visit
www.leszno.pl - home of the www.css-leszno.it.pl

Old December 11th 03, 09:09 AM
Andrew Warbrick

Are you seriously recommending the Kestrel to a low
hours pilot? Fifteen million knobs and levers, some
of which make life very interesting very quickly, big
glider handling and flaps. Sheesh.

Old December 11th 03, 10:03 AM
Don Johnstone

The only major drawback with a Kestrel is the speed
control (the airbrakes make a nice noise and that is
about all) needed for landing: getting into a short
field, or even a long one can be a challenge but with
the right training it is not impossible. (The extra
levers etc are not a problem in practice) I think that
I would have to say that the Kestrel is probably safer
for a low hours pilot than a Libelle. The Libelle is
a very fine glider but it can also get very interesting
very quickly, probably quicker than a Kestrel.
My personal choice would be a Discus, very easy to
fly and no real nasties but I have no idea of the price
of one your side of the pond. I would agree with the
choice of an ASW 19 the only problem is the size of
the cockpit. Like my ASW17 a challenge to fit if you
are tall.

As an aside the is a file on www.gliderpilot.net in
File Downloads which describes a modification for Kestrel
airbrakes which does help a little. Do not expect Grob
103/ASK21 airbrake performance from this mod

Old December 11th 03, 11:19 AM
Owain Walters

Dave,

Ignore the kestrel and the junior.

Most of the other suggestions are pretty reasonable.

Jantar - looks ugly but has lots of poke
Libelle - actually goes better than people think. You
just need to fly it properly
Cirrus - goes well
ASW-19 - nice handling, looks good and has a bit of
poke
Pegase - nearly the same as the 19.
LS4 - if you can stretch to this get one. Ignore all
of the above, if you cant then see above!

BTW. There is a good deal on a Pegase on wings and
wheels which may be of interest to you. (commission
payable to Owain Walters!)

Owain

Old December 11th 03, 12:30 PM
JS

Why not http://www.apisgliders.com/ : brand new... sexy... lightweight...
38-40:1...

"Flyhighdave" wrote in message
So some of you really don't think to highly of the Speed Astir. What then

would
be your recommendations for a first glider for a low time pilot training &
soloing in a G103 II A? I need something under $20,000. that will keep me

happy
for a while. Thanks for your input!
David

Sport Pilot - School Won't Offer Gary G Piloting 38 February 16th 05 10:41 AM
Speed Astir II B Flyhighdave Soaring 8 December 13th 03 01:08 PM
Did we decide if ballasted pullups are higher???????? Lars Peder Hansen Soaring 22 October 8th 03 12:45 AM
Restricting Glider Ops at Public Arpt. rjciii Soaring 36 August 25th 03 04:50 PM