New PowerFLARM firmware 6.40

Old August 27th 17, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Default New PowerFLARM firmware 6.40

For those that follow this sort of thing, I notice that FLARM has published a new firmware version on Friday 23 Aug; version 6.40. Although I'm signed up for the newsletter, I haven't got one announcing this - as usual, terrible support. There is nothing in the "news" section of their website, either.

Firmware and release notes at: http://flarm.com/support/firmware-up...load-firmware/

According to the release notes, inter alia:
Version 6.06 stops working 30 September 2017
Version 6.07 stops working 31 March 2018
Version 6.08 and 6.09 stop working 30 September 2018

There do not appear to be any manual changes. The Portable manual has installation and operating instructions, the CORE only installation.

This does not appear to be a change requiring change to the Butterfly display firmware (nothing on that website). I don't check other display manuals.

Old August 27th 17, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

The interesting item in the release notes is this:

PowerFLARM: Fully symmetric antenna diversity, dynamic receive and transmit on
both antennas (except USA and Canada)

I'd assumed that the hardware didn't support transmit on the secondary radio antenna. Apparently it does (at least outside USA, Canada). I wonder if that update will ever come to the USA as well?
Old August 27th 17, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Sunday, August 27, 2017 at 10:50:54 AM UTC-4, Steve Koerner wrote:
The interesting item in the release notes is this:

PowerFLARM: Fully symmetric antenna diversity, dynamic receive and transmit on
both antennas (except USA and Canada)

I'd assumed that the hardware didn't support transmit on the secondary radio antenna. Apparently it does (at least outside USA, Canada). I wonder if that update will ever come to the USA as well?

Ask the vendor who sold you your FLARM to ask why and press for it here in North America. It may change something in the FCC (you) or Industry Canada (me) testing/approval; the more who ask for it, the greater the likelihood of us getting it.

Dan
Old August 28th 17, 07:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Has anyone else noticed seemingly reduced FLARM range when they installed the previous firmware? It sure seemed like gliders had to be a lot closer in order to show up on the FLARM after we updated all the club and private gliders in my club earlier this year. We didn't change any of the hardware or the configuration files either. Maybe the newest firmware will get things back to the way they were last year - though they don't say anything in the release notes about range.
Old August 28th 17, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Out of curiosity, what happened to V6.1x, V6.2x and V6.3x? Just seems odd to me that FLARM skipped from V6.09 (which I am currently running) all the way to V6.4.

Expiring minds want to (well, would like to) know.

- John OHM Ω
Old August 28th 17, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 8:24:21 AM UTC-4, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
Out of curiosity, what happened to V6.1x, V6.2x and V6.3x?

I'd guess that since V6.09, successive versions were integrated and tested in house, but not released to customers.
Old August 29th 17, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 6:04:03 AM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 8:24:21 AM UTC-4, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
Out of curiosity, what happened to V6.1x, V6.2x and V6.3x?

I'd guess that since V6.09, successive versions were integrated and tested in house, but not released to customers.

Firmware Update 6.40 released

Firmware version 6.40 has been released for all FLARM devices. It introduces intuitive obstacle warning behavior, full antenna diversity, a redesigned range analyzer, and a supplementary privacy option. These features have been requested by pilots and improve both the user experience and flight safety. The firmware is available for all PowerFLARM, Classic FLARM, and FLARM-interoperable devices, and can be downloaded for free from the website of the device manufacturer. For end-user devices built by FLARM Technology, it's available here.

Fixed obstacles like power lines and cable cars receive a lateral buffer, adding width to the object similar to antennas. Flying parallel to such objects now yields more consistent warning behavior. Alarms are now suppressed better when circling or turning in proximity of an obstacle. The data port now transmits a unique obstacle ID for improved future processing by smart displays, e.g. to suppress repetitive alarms. These features are available on PowerFLARM products only, and operate with any valid obstacle database. The latest database including an interactive visualization is available here.

PowerFLARM devices contain two radio antenna ports: “FLARM A” and “FLARM B”, with the latter being activated by applying a license (RFB). This update adds full symmetric diversity (transmit and receive) to “FLARM B” when the RFB license is active (does not apply to North America). This increases the protection around the aircraft in all directions. The RFB license for PowerFLARM Core devices can be purchased in the webshop. Existing RFB licenses automatically enable the new behavior. PowerFLARM Portable devices do not require a license.

The online Range Analyzer tool has been completely redesigned. It now features a side view for 3D assessment of installation performance. Simultaneous upload of multiple files now allows for a more comprehensive and reliable analysis. Full independent receiver diagnostics of both radio channels is now possible for dual antenna setups, helping to verify and optimize installations. Also refer to Section “Safety Equipment Requires Care and Maintenance”.

To accommodate increased privacy needs, the random radio ID option is introduced on all devices (except first-generation F4). It can be selected by setting the ICAO 24-bit address to “0” (zero) in the online configuration tool. With this option set, the characteristic ID used for message broadcasting is randomly generated at each power-up, i.e. typically once per day. Enabling this setting is however discouraged, as it renders Search and Rescue (SAR) and other functionality impractical. It is not possible to activate random ID if the aircraft has a Mode-S transponder (which already transmits the ICAO address of the aircraft).

Downloading or using firmware 6.40 is subject to the updated End-User License Agreement. Additional information can be found in the Release Notes on the firmware download page.

Craggy Aero is a Flarm Service Partner and can test and repair your Powerflarm Cores in the US and Canada.

http://www.craggyaero.com/powerflarm_fsp.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old August 29th 17, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

On Sunday, August 27, 2017 at 11:46:01 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Has anyone else noticed seemingly reduced FLARM range when they installed the previous firmware? It sure seemed like gliders had to be a lot closer in order to show up on the FLARM after we updated all the club and private gliders in my club earlier this year. We didn't change any of the hardware or the configuration files either. Maybe the newest firmware will get things back to the way they were last year - though they don't say anything in the release notes about range.

I received an email notification today about the new firmware.
I did not notice any reduced flarm range through any firmware upgrade.

Ramy
Old August 29th 17, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 6:23:07 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
On Sunday, August 27, 2017 at 11:46:01 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Has anyone else noticed seemingly reduced FLARM range when they installed the previous firmware? It sure seemed like gliders had to be a lot closer in order to show up on the FLARM after we updated all the club and private gliders in my club earlier this year. We didn't change any of the hardware or the configuration files either. Maybe the newest firmware will get things back to the way they were last year - though they don't say anything in the release notes about range.

I received an email notification today about the new firmware.
I did not notice any reduced flarm range through any firmware upgrade.

Ramy

I also did not notice any reduced range with new firmware.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old August 29th 17, 08:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 8:24:20 PM UTC-7, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the responses Richard and Ramy - that rules the firmware out. I'll check the settings and config files next time I'm out at the field. The range is acceptable on the range analysis tool and the alerts function properly it's just seems like the gliders that are farther away don't seem to show up like they used to.