Antonov vs Galaxy cockpit

Old June 30th 04, 08:15 AM
John Keeney

"Cub Driver" wrote in message

How did you take a dump out there when weather was below zero? Oh he

said,
they had this oil drum with fire in it a

The drums were still active in Vietnam, though the fires were to burn
the contents.

The drums were still burning in the mideast as of a couple of months ago.
Actually know someone who admits to kind of liking the job of burning
them.

Old July 1st 04, 12:22 AM
Paul J. Adam

In message , Cub Driver
writes
On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 10:54:09 -0500, "Emilio"
wrote:

Ok that tells me that pilots bodily function came last as far as design. I
guess if they all drink vodka all the time who cares where they go pee!

The RAF Hurricanes in Burma in 1942 had no relief tubes, and as you
know, the British are notoriously over-indulgent tea drinkers.

I'm not aware of any infantry NBC suit having inbuilt relief facilities:
in theory, there are procedures to obtain relief while suited when
circumstances allow. In practice, 'do it in the suit'.

One oppo of mine came down with amoebic dysentery just before the NBC
phase of an exercise... not nice, not comfortable.

(And just for reference, I'm a notorious coffee fiend but haven't
touched tea in years )

--
He thinks too much: such men are dangerous.
Julius Caesar I:2

Old July 1st 04, 01:11 AM
Yeff

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 00:22:26 +0100, Paul J. Adam wrote:

I'm not aware of any infantry NBC suit having inbuilt relief facilities:
in theory, there are procedures to obtain relief while suited when
circumstances allow. In practice, 'do it in the suit'.

My worst MOPP experience was during an exercise at Camp Bullis in San
Antonio. Our tactical field site was set up a short distance away from
the other Air Force operations and all of the latrines were near them and
not us. We were forbidden to go outside of our own area without a buddy
so if you needed to use the facilities you had to find someone to go with
you and hold your hand.

During the first full day of the war we were getting loads of intelligence
pointing to an impending attack by Banana Land tac-air (notional South
American country). We were all busy with one task or another so I was
having trouble finding someone who wasn't busy during the rare moments I
wasn't busy to go to the latrine. Before I knew it the air raid sirens
were blaring and we all pulled on masks and gloves (we were already suited
up with everything else). I got under a table and tried to meditate the
feelings of my bursting bladder away.

Our Flight Commander was a good guy. I'd first met him as a 2LT fresh out
of school in the Philippines, and saw him make Captain in San Antonio
(though I still sometimes slipped and called him El Tee - he just
laughed). The attack ended though the area still had to be checked for
chemicals. I just kept meditating. Suddenly one of the Exercise
Evaluator Team members sticks his head in the tent to warn us we'd be in
MOPP for "quite a while". Just keep on meditating... The Captain,
obviously concerned for our health and well-being under a Texas sun,
announced that he wanted to *personally* see all of us drink one canteen
of water to ensure we stayed hydrated. Wah?

I crawled over to the Captain and told him of my dire bladder state. He
just looked at me for a moment and then asked, "What do you want me to do
about it?" Duh? "Let me run over to the latrines." I could see him
shaking his head no. "We have to play this as close to real-world as
possible. Do what you'd do if this were a real-world contingency."

He meant I should **** myself. Damn. Looked like I'd have to kill the
Captain.

I honestly wasn't going to be able to bring myself to **** into my suit in
front of all those people I worked with. Besides, the more I thought
about it the more I realized there just wasn't anything to be accomplished
by my soiling myself. I convinced myself that if I simply stood up and
walked out to the latrines I could justify my actions later on in whatever
type of enquiry followed. I was about to disobey a lawful order...

"ALL CLEAR!" I almost broke down in tears when an EET guy called that out.
I ran to the Captain and demanded to be allowed to go. He said yes and I
called out for someone to accompany me. Two other guys were also in dire
straits and agreed and we hot-footed it out of there.

The first amazing thing I discovered when I got inside the port-a-potty was
the incredible amount of uniform items I had to move out of the way to get
to the business at hand. The second amazing thing occurred when some of
the EET guys set off two extra GBSs (ground-burst simulators) from the
previous attack. Somehow I managed to cut off in mid-stream, stuff
everything back under-cover, and hit the ground outside the latrine
scanning for targets with my weapon. The two other guys hit the ground at
the same moment I did - couldn't of been 5 seconds after the explosions.
We all had the same story: we heard the booms and then we were outside
peering over the sites of our M-16s with no idea how we'd accomplished the
feat.

Good times.

--

-Jeff B.
yeff at erols dot com
Old July 2nd 04, 06:15 AM
Dweezil Dwarftosser

"Paul J. Adam" wrote:

I'm not aware of any infantry NBC suit having inbuilt relief facilities:
in theory, there are procedures to obtain relief while suited when
circumstances allow. In practice, 'do it in the suit'.

Well, one thing's certain: the suits are excellent at
entrapping noxious gasses.

I've had shop crews who thought it funny to spend most
of the prior evening at a German winefest, sleep a few
hours, then take turns clearing the room. More than
one has been directed to don his chemical suit; they
function quite well...

backup cockpit lighting Josef Burger Instrument Flight Rules 35 January 2nd 05 01:23 AM
Fake Cockpit Flubke Military Aviation 6 June 16th 04 03:16 PM
Amodel Antonov An-22 Ken Duffey Military Aviation 34 March 16th 04 02:47 PM
What are you guys using for cockpit lights these days? Stealth Pilot Home Built 6 December 9th 03 09:14 AM
FS DeHavilland Open Cockpit Chipmunk [email protected] Aviation Marketplace 0 October 14th 03 11:10 AM