BJ Schramm

Old May 4th 04, 01:07 PM
Aviv Hod

Default BJ Schramm

In addition to Ian Groom, we lost another good one within the last week: BJ
Schramm, of Rotorway and Helicycle fame. His work on experimental,
homebuilt helicopters is what has given me hope since I was a little kid,
that I may one day build my own helicopter.

From the Rotorway web site:
http://www.rotorway.com/schramm.html

"It is with great shock and sadness that we express our condolences to the
family and friends of a true aviation pioneer, B. J. Schramm. Founder of
RotorWay Aircraft (later to evolve into employee-owned RotorWay
International), he died in a helicopter crash in Idaho. After conducting a
photo shoot in his Helicycle single-seat helicopter, he was reported
missing. Yesterday, he was found in a river, still strapped in his
helicopter.
B. J. Schramm began working on affordable helicopters for the average man
over forty years ago. His dream became a reality when he created RotorWay
Aircraft and debuted the one-place Scorpion helicopter at the Oshkosh air
show almost thirty-eight years ago. Eventually, the company introduced the
Scorpion Too (a two-seater), which then led to even bigger successes. Soon,
the Executive helicopter premiered and gave personal helicopter ownership a
sleek new look and set ever-higher standards for the kit-built industry to
follow.

When the company was purchased by John Netherwood and then became RotorWay
International in 1990, B. J. Schramm went on to create his new company,
which produced the Helicycle.

Leonardo da Vinci once wrote in 1483 that "I find that if this instrument
made with a screw be well made...and be turned swiftly, the said screw will
make its spiral in the air and it will rise high". Da Vinci was a visionary
ahead of his time and dreamed of vertical flight. B. J. Schramm was in good
company."

I guess the news made it to the rotorcraft newsgroup, but not to r.a.p., so
I thought I'd share.

-Aviv