A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

What a race in Chile today!!!

Old January 19th 18, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew
external usenet poster

Default What a race in Chile today!!!

I'm still new to the concept of sailplane racing and am still trying to grasp the different formats being used around the world.

For the past two days, I've been watching the last hour or so of the SGP in Chile and am having a blast. The coverage with telemetry and insightful commentary has really made this a viable spectator sport for those with a specific interest in racing. The finish on Wednesday was exciting! Watching the different strategies develop and ultimately fail to pan out or work to their advantage was much more engaging to watch than some of the races I've tried to follow in the past.

I was chatting with my First Officer about soaring during our flight yesterday and he was very interested in the race coverage I was describing. We rushed to find a spot to watch the finish of the race yesterday after we landed in Boston with two hours of airport appreciation time before our next leg. As a non-glider pilot, he was completely engaged by the coverage of the race and didn't want to stop until the top five has finished. That's a good sign, if you ask me.

Add in a live shot of the finish line and some realtime weather/clouds and this format will become more popular with every race.

Today's race starts at 1230z...see you on YouTube.

Paul A.
Jupiter, FL
ASW-19

Old January 19th 18, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Sean is certainly "passionate," but remember that you cannot spell "Passionate" without "ASS."

Old January 19th 18, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

I agree that the coverage of this, and other, contests is great. Sorta like when Americas Cup racing did the same years ago (yes, Sean also made the same comment). It became a lot more interesting to a wider group.
While I will make no guess how many potential sailplane pilots will come of the newer coverage, I will say it brings up more attention for the whole sport.

Glad you had time to watch the end of the race.
Old January 19th 18, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]
external usenet poster

Per Mr. St Cloud: "Sean is passionate about our sport. We need a thousand or more young people like him with similar passion for the sport. Not everyone has the same operating style, he is the new generation, wants to shake things up and wants it now. Embrace the enthusiasm !"

Jonathan; too rarely here does a post like yours raise the benchmark on RAS.. Way to go!
Old January 19th 18, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]
external usenet poster

From the race results on January 19, it looks like these guys need to install better cockpit vent suckers! Finishing one or three meters too low but right along side (especially if really right along side) would really, well, blow. Note to self... Install logger in a box I can vent to pitot or TE probe... :-)

Old January 19th 18, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

It was neck and neck again. I know what its like to get pushed a little under that minimum finish altitude! Nerves of steel by Nagel to not push hard to try to get in first. I would've been tempted, a win today gets him within 3 points for tomorrow. 2nd place today would put him 7 points out, a much more difficult task!

On the final two legs, Kawa made two complete circles while the Three Ventii 3 all flew straight. Impressive.
Old January 20th 18, 03:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 1:35:09 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Kawa in 1st. Two JS-1s, then a V2, then a V3. All within 5 seconds, identical avg speed for all four!!!

Those interested in this style of competition should sign up for the Region 11 FAI. It will be run as a normal FAI handicap, but in the middle of it we are having a separate trial event that is GP style: simultaneous start, handicapped turnpoints, first one back wins. The goal is to gage the feasibility and interest in running a full contest this way in the future. We already have a local series that uses this format, it has been successful and people seem to like it.
Old January 20th 18, 06:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner
external usenet poster

GP racing is a lot of fun and it is tremendously better for spectating. We've also been doing a handicap radius method within Arizona Soaring Association on an occasional basis for a number of years now.

GP racing does have a downer though. There is a greater hazard of mid-air when everyone starts at the same time. The risk of a collision is geometric with the number of contestants. For that reason, the number of players is limited to 20 while everyone else sits on the bench. That compares to a practical limit of more like 65 gliders on a single task doing conventional racing.
Old January 20th 18, 10:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

SK's flying on the long ridge run south was amazing on Friday - so tight to the contours the whole way compared to the 3 V3 pilots and able to take fractionally shorter routes round the side ridges He simply outflew them there.