AnywhereWX???

Old August 4th 03, 09:31 PM
mtmueller

Default AnywhereWX???

After considerable research, I have pretty much written off adding weather
to my Garmin 530 right now. It looks like the GDL-49 just doesn't do what I
want, and is too susceptable to interference for efficient delivery of
detailed weather, and you have to add another damned VHF antenna (which
would be very expensive, since I would have to relocate my other topside VHF
antenna to obtain the requisite 3' separation without guarantee it still
won't cause problems and have a nice flush patch added to yet another hole
in my freshly painted empennage...) Garmin also stated unequivically the
WxWorks system they will support in the G1000 WON'T be supported in the 530.
Us suckers with the 430/530 get the GDL-49 or nuthin'.

Sooo, while at OSH, I checked out the various "portable" systems. From my
research, it LOOKS like AnywhereWX is the system to beat. The data age
appears the best of all the systems, and the lowest initial and recurring
cost solution. They even announced they will be providing IR cloud top data.
The WxWorks XM system looks like it will require more hardware, and not have
the same capabilities with higher recurring (subscription) costs.

BUT, I haven't actually heard from anyone that uses it on a routine basis.
What is the good, the bad, and the ugly? Anyone who has used it or owns it
have opinions? How reliable is the Globalstar Sat Phone for data? 9600 on
the Globalstar is WAY better than the damned 2800 on the EchoFlight system,
but does it suffer from the same problems initiating the data request?

I was also fascinated with their approach plate overlays. Anyone try that
yet?

After dodging T-storms on the way back from OSH, I am really anxious to get
a reliable, high-res weather solution in the cockpit. I don't really need
the nav capability, since I already have an IFR Approach Cert GPS in the
panel. I tried CBAV, but it just doesn't work over all the altitudes and
regions I fly.

Thanks for the info...

Mark
Tiger N1533R

Old August 5th 03, 12:05 AM
Mark T. Mueller

Who told you that? The Garmin guys I spoke with specifically stated only the
G1000 would get WxWorks...

Not that I doubt you, but it is very curious to here this...

"Viperdoc" wrote in message
The GDL 49 has a lot of limitations, and is very slow. However, I was told
at OSH (for what it's worth) that Garmin will be working on the interface
between WXworks and their 430/530 series. The data transfer will be much
better, and it may be worth waiting for. All of the other portable systems
seem to suffer from various limitations, and they make a rat's nest of
cables in the cockpit. I almost bought into Wxworks, but between the

initial
purchase and subscription, as well as the purchase of a new PDA with yet
another subscription seemed a little over the top. I'm not crazy about
carrying around a notebook computer either.

In the interim I'll live with onboard radar and stormscope, which in
combination work pretty well.

JN

Old August 5th 03, 12:25 AM
Mark T. Mueller

Cool. Thanks.

I was completely unaware of the KT76 Transponder interference problem with
the GlobalStar phones. Interesting that NONE of the guys at the
ControlVision booth at OSH mentioned it...

"Brent Bigler" wrote in message
I might suggest checking out the forums hosted on ControlVision's website.

http://www.anywheremap.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

The opinions offered there are unstinting -- good and bad. You'll get a
pretty good handle on the product.

--Brent

snip

Old August 5th 03, 01:25 AM
Viperdoc

For what it's worth, both Garmin and the WXWeather people said that after
the 1000 the next target would probably be the 430/530.

Old August 5th 03, 01:22 PM
mtmueller

That's good news. However, we are realistically looking at a year or two out
then. The Garmin engineer I spoke with said the G1000 was 6 - 12 months from
certification in a best case scenario.

Garmin has been pretty slow lately getting from product announcement to the
field. The iQue 3600 was announced over 6 months ago, and still isn't in
retail channels yet. The WAAS upgrade for the 430/530 is at least 12 months
out as well (4Q04). Now that they bought UPSAT, I wonder how that will
effect product upgrades and new product development...

It's too bad. The GDL-49 had some promise, and Avidyne has done wonders with
their application of the same technology. Even EchoFlight is adopting an
improved process for their data over their arguably snail-paced system.
Garmin stated the 49 is "upgradeable" as well, but by the time they adopt
the "narrowcast" system and improve the compression algorithm Avidyne is
using with the Orbcomm system, WxWorks may be the system to beat. WSI
expressed interest in adopting their system for the 430/530, but Garmin
hasn't offered any interest, so if there is going to be a broadcast based
solution for us, it will probably be WxWorks via XM Radio. I do like their
integrated VHF / XM antenna, which would just be a one for one replacement
of my existing VHF antenna (no new holes in my empennage!!!)

It will probably take another year or two for the various players to shake
out. The Merlin sat broadcast weather system is stillborn, and they never
got certification on their box, although they had prototypes flying. I
cringe at the thought of shelling out $5 - 6K to have a "certified box"
installed, only to have the provider go belly up.

This is very frustrating. The technology is out there, and inflight near
real time cockpit weather is available in limited applications. I guess I am
just too impatient.

Old August 5th 03, 01:23 PM
mtmueller

I guess unless ControlVision ponies up a demo unit to see if my KT76 will
interfere with the signal, I am not going to risk $3K...

"Brent Bigler" wrote in message
I might suggest checking out the forums hosted on ControlVision's website.

http://www.anywheremap.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

The opinions offered there are unstinting -- good and bad. You'll get a
pretty good handle on the product.

--Brent

snip

Old August 5th 03, 05:46 PM
Jeff Doran

"mtmueller" wrote in message ...
After considerable research, I have pretty much written off adding weather
to my Garmin 530 right now.

Mark, here is what I said in another thread about "my answer" to
control vision and anywherewx...the only thing I dont have is a nexrad
picture superimposed on my posiiton, because I don't have the
anywhere software, and I dont connect a gps to my pda, specifically to
eliminate all the wires. Simplu put, I have the Sat phone, a two foot
cable, and the PDA...works great. BTW, I have a GNS 530 in my mooney,
and Im waiting for the fast, elegant and inexpensive solution, but in
the mean time,
Jeff Doran, quoted from another thread said:
Richard, thank you for posting the info on the xmradio weatherworx. I,
like many, have been searching for reliable in-cockpit weather
solutions. The closest thing to affordibility so far has been anywhere
wx from control vision, but even that is a bit pricey, and a rats nest
of wires. I have used the Palm i705, and you just can't beat it for
portability and cost. However, as reliable as it is, even in flight,
there are too many times, when I just didnt get a signal or reply when
making an inflight weather request from CBAV or TurboWX.
For that past month, I have been using a poormans version of the
control vision solution...
Globalstar SAT phone, $595 list/$495 with rebate/$395 reconditioned
Ipaq H3635 pocket pc, on ebay for $100 (or any pocket pc), you can
even hook to your i705 and switch back and forth between the wireless
palm network and the SAT connection. I prefer the higher resolution
and color on the Ipaq for maps.
Globalstar data cable, $69;
IPAQ Serial Cable (not a hotsync cable, they are not the same) $20;
SAT phone is $35/month and .99/minute with 30 included min/month, or
$50/month with 120 minutes/month, .75/minute after that.
Control Visions deal is $25/month, first 100 mins free, then .99/min
after that.
A wide range of service plans to fit both budget and use.

(I do not work for any SAT phone company or aviation product company)

Data comes down at 9.6Kbps,plus I can make reliable, consistant voice
calls in flight.
I have not had any problem aquiring and holding a SAT signal in
flight, as long as the antenna is held reasonbly close to a window.
The glare shield is fine.
Admittedly, this is a request/reply setup, and I typically use
weathertap.com and flighbrief.com for inflight weather. Not that it is
very useful or fast, I can browse the web in flight, including pop3
email, etc etc...

The result is, I am juggling only a PDA, a short cable, and the sat
phone. Not Bad.

Did you ever notice how big and cumbersome even the smallest laptops
are when in the cockpit? Screen visibility in sunlight is another
concern.

About the only thing I see that XMradio has to offer is its
"broadcast" technology, and (I assume) greater bandwidth...not that
these are bad things.

BTW, I have a Delphi Xmradio mounted on the pedestal of my mooney,
with
the low profile antenna hiding on the glare shield...works great...but
I can't listen to Limbaugh.

Jeff Doran
Mooney N1159P ACY
Old August 5th 03, 08:08 PM
mtmueller

Thanks for your very detailed response. I will have to look into your "poor
man's" idea. I like it!

BTW, I use the Sirius portable radio in my Tiger. Gotta love it. I can't
imagine long x-countries without it...

Mark
Tiger N1533R

"Jeff Doran" wrote in message
om...

Old August 6th 03, 04:28 AM
Mark Manes

Mark,
I have the AWX system and use it regularly. Flew to KPTS and they tried
the system in my 310 (which has an old KT-76) and there was no interference.
Between my StormScope & AWX I get a real good idea of where I want to go and
where I want to avoid. I like getting the cloud tops (which is new) and
TAF's & METAR's while in the air. I had the mod done to the Sat Phone that
allows me to plug in to the Lightspeed 3G headset and make phone calls from
the air. I usually let my wife make the calls. That works very well. I
have had the Anywhere WX since January 03 and if I had to decide again right
now would go with Control Vision again. I have an Ipaq 3835 and have had
no problems with it, only occasional download failures. I recently upgraded
to Ipaq 5555 and have had more trouble with it. I expect that the bugs will
be worked out in the 5555, meanwhile I am going to keep the 3835 until I
know for sure.

Mark Manes
N28409
WC5I

"Mark T. Mueller" wrote in message
Cool. Thanks.

I was completely unaware of the KT76 Transponder interference problem with
the GlobalStar phones. Interesting that NONE of the guys at the
ControlVision booth at OSH mentioned it...

"Brent Bigler" wrote in message
I might suggest checking out the forums hosted on ControlVision's

website.

http://www.anywheremap.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

The opinions offered there are unstinting -- good and bad. You'll get a
pretty good handle on the product.

--Brent

"mtmueller" wrote in message
snip

BUT, I haven't actually heard from anyone that uses it on a routine

basis.

---