Strange Class D boundary???

Old August 30th 04, 03:41 AM
Roy Smith

Default Strange Class D boundary???

The AOPA website has a graphic showing the TFR's for the New York area
while the Republicans are in town.

http://www.aopa.org/images/whatsnew/...ams/4-9035.jpg

Does anybody know what base map was used for the diagram? It doesn't
look like any FAA/NOS/whatever or Jepp chart that I'm familiar with.

What's really strange is the boundary that's drawn for the HPN Class D.
Most of the boundary is pretty straight-forward -- a dashed blue line
almost completely encircling HPN at about a 5 mile radius. For those of
you not familiar with the area, the grey dashed-dotted line going right
over the airport is the CT-NY state border.

Where things get really funky is that the Class D boundary is shown
heading off to the southwest in a big wedge from the 5 mile circle.
There's a blue dashed line passing just north-east of KFRG and out in to
the ocean labeled "(*D)", and another one passing just north of KISP.
What the heck is this supposed to be representing???
Old August 30th 04, 05:04 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Roy Smith wrote:
The AOPA website has a graphic showing the TFR's for the New York area
while the Republicans are in town.

http://www.aopa.org/images/whatsnew/...ams/4-9035.jpg

Does anybody know what base map was used for the diagram? It doesn't
look like any FAA/NOS/whatever or Jepp chart that I'm familiar with.

It looks almost exactly like AOPA's Real Time Flight Planner, which I
think uses a Jepp engine.

Where things get really funky is that the Class D boundary is shown
heading off to the southwest in a big wedge from the 5 mile circle.

There's supposed to be a little extension of the class D over there.
I suspect there's a glitch in their database and the drawing engine
was given some bad points.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old August 30th 04, 01:56 PM
Peter Clark

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 22:41:44 -0400, Roy Smith wrote:

The AOPA website has a graphic showing the TFR's for the New York area
while the Republicans are in town.

http://www.aopa.org/images/whatsnew/...ams/4-9035.jpg

Does anybody know what base map was used for the diagram? It doesn't
look like any FAA/NOS/whatever or Jepp chart that I'm familiar with.

Is it possibly a NOS IFR low-level?

What's really strange is the boundary that's drawn for the HPN Class D.
Most of the boundary is pretty straight-forward -- a dashed blue line
almost completely encircling HPN at about a 5 mile radius. For those of
you not familiar with the area, the grey dashed-dotted line going right
over the airport is the CT-NY state border.

Where things get really funky is that the Class D boundary is shown
heading off to the southwest in a big wedge from the 5 mile circle.
There's a blue dashed line passing just north-east of KFRG and out in to
the ocean labeled "(*D)", and another one passing just north of KISP.
What the heck is this supposed to be representing???

My NY sectional shows a class D extension of 2NM in the same place and
direction, and even closes the extension about where the other blue
dashed line (the one that goes just north of Bayport) comes in. It
looks like their system didn't turn the line that goes through
Republic back east-northeast to define the cutout and complete the
class D definition like it should have.