OT -- Kill Bill

Old October 16th 03, 05:18 AM
Ralph Snart

"Montblack" wrote in message
("Jay Honeck" wrote)
We've seen some truly horrible movies in our day, but none that made us

want
to run out of the theater as badly as this one.

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (2001)

As Roger Ebert said, "Kevin Smith's movies are either made specifically

for
you, or specifically not made for you."

Since I'm not 14, it apparently wasn't made for me.

They were free tickets ...and we still felt taken!

--

As long as we're talking about movies with the 'SUCK' factor, the sequel
to 'Fast and Furious' that came out earlier this year had me retching, and

Old October 16th 03, 05:20 AM
Ralph Snart

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Just as a point of comparison, what did you think of his "Pulp Fiction"

of
few years ago?

I enjoyed it. Mary hated it.
--

Pulp Fiction was so bad it was good. It was like watching a mass
accident - you just don't what's coming next. I've gotta admit, me being a

Old October 16th 03, 05:22 AM
StellaStar

Save your money and go buy the new "Matrix" DVD instead...

I love my teenage son so much, I went with him to see Matrix in the theatre
AGAIN. That boy's gonna buy me an airplane when he grows up and gets a job.
I've already told him that.

A few weeks ago, we saw "Secondhand Lions," which has a lovely biplane for far
too short a time (though it's a critical plot element at the end). We liked it
pretty good. I used lots of hankies, the boy none.
Old October 16th 03, 05:29 AM
Mike O'Malley

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:yBijb.777674$YN5.761294@sccrnsc01...
Mary and I went to see this movie last night, based on good initial reviews
and high ticket sales. (Having Uma Thurman in it certainly didn't hurt,
either.

Just wanted to let everyone know, before they spend a nickel in the theater,
that both of us consider "Kill Bill" to be the absolute worst movie we've
ever seen. The "plot" is contrived, the action scenes completely
unrealistic, Tarantino's attempts at "film noire" fail utterly, and it is
chock-full of absolutely gratuitous violence from start to finish. There
isn't five minutes without a limb (or worse) being severed, and blood
spurting everywhere.

Not to nitpick you or anything Jay, but me thinks you might have
missed the point of this movie. Now, that being said, no, I have not
yet seen this one. BUT, reading interviews with Tarantino, that was
his intention. This was a pure action movie; the plot was supposed
to be secondary to the action scenes.

Worse, the carnage was completely unrealistic. It's one thing to make a
violent movie -- it's another thing to make a violent movie badly.

The carnage was SUPPOSED to be unrealistic. The gore and violence are
supposed to be over the top, it's an homage to the Asian Kung-Fu
movies of the 60's and 70's. One of the reasons that it got an R
rating instead of NC-17 for the violence was because the violence is
done so unrealisticly.

They went out of their way to make the blood too thin, and make it
spurt out at insane rates.

We've seen some truly horrible movies in our day, but none that made us want
to run out of the theater as badly as this one.

snip

Save your money and go buy the new "Matrix" DVD instead...

Hmm, I was grossly dissapointed with "Reloaded" when I saw it in the
theaters, and I loved the original. It may have been because the
original was so "outside the box" at the time and original, and the
second one just didn't break any new ground. Or it could have been I
saw it after being on the road from 5 am the day before with only 6
hours of rest after driving from Champaign, IL to Cape May, NJ.

--
Mike O'Malley
(gotta get me a decent ISP soon!)

Old October 16th 03, 05:56 AM
Jay Honeck

Not to nitpick you or anything Jay, but me thinks you might have
missed the point of this movie. Now, that being said, no, I have not
yet seen this one. BUT, reading interviews with Tarantino, that was
his intention. This was a pure action movie; the plot was supposed
to be secondary to the action scenes.

Hmm. So saying "I meant that" makes a bad film okay? Sounds like the
classic refuge of an incompetent director, to me.

A *good* director successfully combines plot AND action.

The carnage was SUPPOSED to be unrealistic. The gore and violence are
supposed to be over the top, it's an homage to the Asian Kung-Fu
movies of the 60's and 70's. One of the reasons that it got an R
rating instead of NC-17 for the violence was because the violence is
done so unrealisticly.

So, let me see if I've got this straight. We have a movie that has a weak
plot -- ON PURPOSE -- and unrealistic violence -- ON PURPOSE -- with the aim
of being some sort of an homage to the Kung-fu movies of the 60s and 70s?
While your premise may be true, I'd say the audience has been duped on more
than one level here...

Tarantino must be laughing himself silly.

Oh well -- I'll always remember Uma Thurman, in tight leather, neatly
slicing off Lucy Liu's cranium -- and then watching her die.

Yeah -- a real "classic" movie, this one.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 16th 03, 11:54 AM
Bob Noel

In article , "Ralph
Snart" wrote:

As long as we're talking about movies with the 'SUCK' factor,

Dune.

--
Bob Noel
Old October 16th 03, 01:41 PM
Maule Driver

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
So, let me see if I've got this straight. We have a movie that has a weak
plot -- ON PURPOSE -- and unrealistic violence -- ON PURPOSE -- with the

aim
of being some sort of an homage to the Kung-fu movies of the 60s and 70s?
While your premise may be true, I'd say the audience has been duped on

more
than one level here...

Perhaps not for those who read the reviews or Tarantino's promos.

Oh well -- I'll always remember Uma Thurman, in tight leather, neatly
slicing off Lucy Liu's cranium -- and then watching her die.

Yep, that's a lot more entertaining than playing with film history.

Yeah -- a real "classic" movie, this one.

....probably not, but generated a pretty good OT thread.

Old October 16th 03, 02:22 PM
Dan Luke

"Ralph Snart" wrote:
As long as we're talking about movies with the 'SUCK' factor,

"Pearl Harbor"

"Memphis Belle"

Old October 16th 03, 02:25 PM
Dan Luke

"Jay Honeck" wrote:
Mary wanted to leave, but I kept holding out hope that...

....Uma Thurman would take off the leather suit.