LiFePO4 batteries

Old October 12th 12, 07:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default LiFePO4 batteries

On 10/11/2012 7:05 PM, Uncle Fuzzy wrote:
On Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:10:36 PM UTC-7, JohnDeRosa wrote:
On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:04:15 PM UTC-5, Uncle Fuzzy
wrote:

"His charging system is a piece of lamp cord cut to a length that
delivers his desired charge current."

Huh? The wire length limits the charge current? I may be dense
but you are going to have to explain this to me a bit more.

Wire has resistance, enough wire (his cord is approximately 30 feet
long)has enough resistance to drop the charge current to his target
10 amps. That's an extrememly mild charge rate for an A123 cell pack
that will happily discharge at 80 amps.

Was that cheaper than buying a charger? Even if the wire was free, I
think it'd be safer and cheaper in the long run to buy a charger that
was smarter than a piece of wire.

email me)
Old October 13th 12, 09:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

At 22:10 11 October 2012, JohnDeRosa wrote:
On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:04:15 PM UTC-5, Uncle Fuzzy wrote:

"His charging system is a piece of lamp cord cut to a length that

delivers
his desired charge current."

Huh? The wire length limits the charge current? I may be dense but you
are going to have to explain this to me a bit more.

How else would you control current other than with an appropriate
length/size of wire? You can if you wish coil it and package it and call it
a resistor.

Old October 13th 12, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 10/13/2012 1:45 AM, Don Johnstone wrote:
At 22:10 11 October 2012, JohnDeRosa wrote:
On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:04:15 PM UTC-5, Uncle Fuzzy wrote:

"His charging system is a piece of lamp cord cut to a length that

delivers
his desired charge current."

Huh? The wire length limits the charge current? I may be dense but you
are going to have to explain this to me a bit more.

How else would you control current other than with an appropriate
length/size of wire? You can if you wish coil it and package it and call it
a resistor.

Perhaps he is able and willing to stand by the battery and monitor the
process, but I'd rather buy a charger: it could regulate the current,
measure the amp hours delivered, and shut down automatically when the
battery is fully charged or the time has run out.

email me)nz
Old October 13th 12, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I'm still having trouble with the concept of charging a battery with AC
power. I saw no mention of a rectifier... Maybe he flip-flops the wires 60
times per second?

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email
me)nz

Old October 14th 12, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:25:17 PM UTC-7, wrote:
My K2 w/o BMS has just two terminals just like any Pb acid, so I don't see how a charger can monitor each cell. I also don't know what a balance plug is, so I'll stop commenting. I'm just relaying what K2 and B-T Jr. told me.

Okay, perhaps when they assemble/manufacture these batteries they ensure the cells are very well matched. The typical A123 and LiFe batteries used in RC have a special plug, often a JST-XH/(JR in the case of ElectroDynamics) type that allows the cells to be balance charged when using a capable charger. It is an absolute must in the case of Lipos (for safety)but with Life/LifePo/A123 you can get away without balance charging to some degree.
Old October 15th 12, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy[_2_]

On Saturday, October 13, 2012 1:17:23 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
I'm still having trouble with the concept of charging a battery with AC

power. I saw no mention of a rectifier... Maybe he flip-flops the wires 60

times per second?

Okay, now I see your confusion. Based on a lack of information in my post. My mistake. He's connecting his 3 cell LiFePo to a car battery, using the 30(ish) feet of zip cord as a dropping resistor (I just talked to him today, last year he got fancy and added a springwound cutoff timer). I was just trying to point out that the A123 cells are pretty robust, and while using the recommended charger and charge profile will likely lead to the longest possible life of your LiFePo batteries, he's been beating the hell out of the same 3 battery packs for 2+ years now, and has subjected them to more cycles than I would be able to put on a battery used in my glider in 5 years.

LiFePO4 battery ASM Soaring 4 December 6th 11 07:00 PM
AGM Batteries Dave Anderer Owning 13 March 29th 08 07:38 PM
2-Batteries [email protected] Soaring 69 January 4th 07 04:09 AM
160 new batteries Mal Soaring 0 October 27th 06 11:36 AM
Sealed Batteries Gene Vignali Owning 5 October 2nd 03 08:32 PM